Is it possible to copy data from the columns in Accordance analytics to a spreadsheet

jejboulet

Hi there,

I am using Accordance 10.4.5

I was able to search for features of the Hebrew verbs in the book of Job and to display them in Accordance using the Table function. There I have the data arranged according to the chapter in the book of Job. The result is that I have four columns of information: the chapter in Job, hits per chapter, hits per 1000 words, and total words in chapter.

This is a great start, but I would like to take that same data and put it into a spreadsheet. In a spreadsheet I can use various equations to make use of the data and make it meaningful. The problem I have encountered, however, is that I cannot just select all and copy the text into a spreadsheet and have the columns intact. Rather, all the information is displayed in one long row (though the items are in separate cells). Is there something that I am missing? Can I copy the data into a spreadsheet and preserve my columns?

I am considering an alternative solution involving writing a macro to rearrange the information, but to do that I'll have to brush up on my visual basic skills. Would like to skip that if possible. Please let me know if you have a solution. Thanks.

• Like 1

I've tried a couple searches and then displayed the Table analytics, and in doing so the data is tab delimited which can then be either saved as a .txt file and opened/imported into Excel, or copied/pasted directly from Accordance into Excel. In both cases the tabs preserved the columns (see below).

Can you maybe post a screen shot of the Table window in Accordance you're trying to copy / export?

post-5629-0-07986000-1440180649_thumb.png

post-5629-0-27995900-1440180663_thumb.png

Thanks Rick. Here are some screenshots. I used the same commands that you did in your photo.

post-33468-0-16644600-1440181759_thumb.png

post-33468-0-10638100-1440181758_thumb.png

As you can see I still do not get the information in columns after copying to Excel. Everything is in a single long row. I also tried saving as .txt file and importing, but same problem. Is there a software version issue?

I believe that this bug was unfortunately only fixed recently in version 11, so there isn't a free upgrade available to you to get it fixed.  I highly recommend upgrading to v11 for many other reasons, but that aside, I don't think you have any other feasible options right now.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

I've tried a couple searches and then displayed the Table analytics, and in doing so the data is tab delimited which can then be either saved as a .txt file and opened/imported into Excel, or copied/pasted directly from Accordance into Excel. In both cases the tabs preserved the columns (see below).

Can you maybe post a screen shot of the Table window in Accordance you're trying to copy / export?

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-21 at 2.10.29 PM.png

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-21 at 2.10.15 PM.png

Rick,

What "excel" app are you using...did you purchase it from the app store?

Thanks

Frank

Rick,

What "excel" app are you using...did you purchase it from the app store?

Thanks

Frank

That screen shot is the latest Excel v. 15 included with Office 2016 or an Office 365 subscription.

That screen shot is the latest Excel v. 15 included with Office 2016 or an Office 365 subscription.

Rick,

Thanks for the information !

Frank

Well, I paid to upgrade to Accordance version 11 and now I can copy and paste the data into excel according to the columns given in the analytics. I am glad that it works now, but I have to say that I am quite disappointed that Accordance 10 could not do it and that no fix was given in version 10 to a problem that should never have been a problem.

I came to this thread late today (sorry), but there was a workaround we used to use in Accordance 10. It involved copying and pasting the data into MS Word, substituting tabs for every white space, then converting the text to a table. The table could then be imported into Excel.

I had to write a scholarly article that required significant use of data in tables. One of our Accordance programmers worked with me extensively during the process to help sort things out. It was a result of our interaction that significant improvements were made in Accordance 11. That has often been the case with Accordance. Program improvements are driven by user needs—and apparently there are very few of us that do much in the way of rigorous statistical analysis.

Trust me, upgrading to Accordance 11 is a much simpler process. Enjoy the improvements.

• Like 2