INFER Questions

Clint Cozier

I'm working with the Infer command, trying to compare the House Rules in Ephesians and Colossians. I've attached a screen shot working with just two sections of the rules. I don't understand the Search Back Linked Text results I got for γυναῖκες τοῖς ἰδίοις ἀνδράσιν  in Eph 5:22. Why didn't the Search Back constrain itself to just texts in the Col 3:12ff. range?  I am using the command key when I right click a selection then the shift key when I select Search Back so I get a fuzzy search. 

Thanks!

post-32408-0-74850700-1431377232_thumb.png

Clint, how are you doing your search back?  I setup a very similar search, and when I clicked in Eph 5:22 reference, then did Search Back, it gave me proper results:

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 7.01.30 PM.png

Joel,

Let me give you a specific with another screen shot. I'd like to find the allusion from the other House Rules highlighted at the beginning of Eph 5:21. I select the first four words, control click for the pop-up menu then hold down the shift key while selecting search back from the menu. What I get is the bottom right zone....that can't be right?

Thanks.

Clint

post-32408-0-45560100-1431390408_thumb.png

Joel,

Let me amend this a bit, when I control click on a verse reference (rather than a specific string of text in the results window), I seem to get what I need. This does load another copy of NA28 Greek in a tab....what's the "extra tab" about? I assume in your example you're invoking search back from the verse menu?

Thank you.

Clint

Edited by Clint Cozier

Clint, the problem comes from the fact you are selecting a phrase instead of the reference.  Phrase Search Back is different from reference search back.  I'll try to explain:

• When searching back with a phrase, it takes all of the words you've selected and attempts to find them in your original text.  In your case, you included a word that wasn't in the original (I know this because it wasn't highlighted in red), so the search range automatically expanded to the whole text in an attempt to find your phrase.  Searching Back with a phrase is great when you specifically want to find a phrase in your source text, but it may lead to some unexpected results, as you are noting.

• When searching back with a reference, it will specifically find the -reason- why that reference was included in your results, showing you the verse or verses in your source range  that lead to that references' inclusion.  It is the best way to know the source of your INFER result, rather than just "where is this phrase in my source text?".  I personally recommend it more than searching back by phrase, but of course it depends on what you are looking for.

The extra tab when searching back by reference is an unfortunate side-effect of doing this reverse type search, so you need it to run your Search Back, but after you are done it can be closed.  (You'll notice that your search back entry contains a reference to the newly created tab)

Edit: As with many things, the help has a great discussion of this:

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/search_back.htm?Highlight=search%20back

Joel,

Thanks for your timely help. I'm just starting to get my head around the INFER command....wow what a great tool to explore intertextuality. The podcast on this is a little fuzzy....some of your comments about how search back works helped clarify things for me.  Back to playing around with it.

Clint

The answer to the question in your original post about the range, is that it will use the settings of the original tab. Therefore, if you set the range in the pop-up menu (after clocking the + to see more options) this carries over to the new tab. The Range command does not.

Helen,

That makes sense of it. Thank you.