How to save search highlights

mortenjensen

Hi all,

Forgive me for asking a question with an easy answer, I think (but have not been able to track down myself): I want to save highlights from a search to be displayed on my text (until a want to remove it myself).

Like: search for all hapax in NT (a count 1-search) and the keep the highlights as I continue to work with the text - so that all hapax er highlighted for good.

Thanks

Morten

Morten, simply click the 'Highlights' button on your toolbar (or select Window -> Highlights) and Shift-click on a particular style to mark your current search results with a style.  Shift-click the Clear button to ever remove these styles.

Cool, thanks Joel,

Really great, and so is the Analysis Graph.

Now: Is it possible to mark searches with colored text as well - or only highlight marker and symbols?

Morten

Oh, one thing more: I just did some searches and marked the text with two different highlights. Now I am unable to remove the highlights again though shift-clicking the clear-botton. Have tried to close and relaunch the program. No luck. Any idea?

Morten

Hi again

I figured out the question about removing colors: The idea seems to be that you create a highlight for each search, you want to have highlighted - and then you delete it again under the Gear-wheel, when done. You can only shift-clear a highlight if no other searches have been performed in between, right?

Morten

No. You should be able to shift click to remove the highlights no matter how many you have used.

I don't think highlights show up under the gear wheel.

File attached showing how to do it.

post-33196-0-15620800-1424871376_thumb.png

Edited by rpavich

Thanks,

Yes but it only works (on my mac at least) if you still have your search tab open - and it only removes the last highlight.

If you:

- do two highlights in a row.

- do some more work and are long past your highlight.

... you cannot shift-clear highlights. 

Then you have to delete the highlight style altogether. At least, I could not remove highlights otherwise.

Morten

PS: Is it possible to do highlights by coloring the text rather than with overlays?

Thanks,

Yes but it only works (on my mac at least) if you still have your search tab open - and it only removes the last highlight.

If you:

- do two highlights in a row.

- do some more work and are long past your highlight.

... you cannot shift-clear highlights. 

Then you have to delete the highlight style altogether. At least, I could not remove highlights otherwise.

Morten

PS: Is it possible to do highlights by coloring the text rather than with overlays?

Right. You have to either re-run the search OR remove the highlight style on all of the text (by searching *)

You COULD make a highlight style that you consider temporary and JUST for searching, that way you can highlight, then search * and remove all of those highlights without disturbing the highlights you want to keep.

What would actually make sense would be to have a checkbox next to each highlight style so they could be ticked on/off that way - if on again, of cause the system would have to remember the search-parameters. But doable, and a nice feature.

Morten

What would actually make sense would be to have a checkbox next to each highlight style so they could be ticked on/off that way - if on again, of cause the system would have to remember the search-parameters. But doable, and a nice feature.

Morten

I always do this:

I name a highlight agapao@noun-nominative

And so I know when I see that highlight in the list, what search it's representing.