Windows 10 - will accordance run on phones?

William B

Hi all, I'm sure I read that windows 10 will be the same platform on all devices with the apps scaling to suit the device and screen size. If I have understory right, when accordance is windows 10 ready does that mean it will also run on windows 10 phones?

Thanks.

No, that will apply only to what Microsoft is referring to "Universal apps." None of the traditional desktop applications will be universal apps. Even Microsoft is going to have separate versions of Office--desktop and universal.

Thanks Rick, I guess i over estimated how much progress Microsoft was making in its one operating system to bind them all target.

Right. The universal Office app, for instance, which is already available in the Windows 10 Preview, is very similar to the iOS version of Office. But they are still keeping the desktop app separate. It will be interesting to see if universal apps become as feature rich as the desktop apps over time or if they remain separate and "lesser" tracks. 

For what it's worth, I really like the Windows Phone interface and used a Lumia Icon all summer until the new iPhones came out in September. Hands off to Microsoft for making a truly distinct interface instead of just copying iOS as the earlier builds of Android seemed to do. But the app gap is very real. And for me, it wasn't that I couldn't find the apps I was looking for. I often could but found that they were subpar when compared to iOS apps. I would submit the Kindle app and the Waze app as prime examples. 

Currently, I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus, and really like it, but I also keep a SIM-less Lumia 635 around to play with the Windows Phone OS. I installed the new Technical Preview on it yesterday, and it has a number of really nice improvements. But the app issue still remains. Hopefully the advent of the universal apps will give incentive to developers to write more apps that will work on Windows phone and keep them at par with iOS and Android equivalents. 

If not, I'm not certain that Windows Phone will survive which will leave only iOS and Android. As much as I like iOS, I believe these companies stay more competitive (which is better for the enduser) when there are at least three main platforms.

• 2 months later...

Curious to see if the chances of an accordance app for windows have changed with the announcements at build?

Now win32 or .net programmes can be ported to universal easily (not sure if windows accordance is either of those!) and iOS apps can be ported accross to windows universal via visual studio or something named similar to that.

In theory this could mean the iOS app could be ported for phones and tablets on windows (tablets lower than 8 inches soon won't run desktop apps)

I have heard it may be possible to port from iOS to windows then also change to android through these new tools (sounds unlikely through!).