Typing lag in Accordance for Windows 11.03

nigelmu

I wonder has anyone else noticed this. When I am editing user notes, there is a notable typing lag - at times, the edit window is running a couple of characters behind.

My laptop is a core i7 running Windows 8.1 with 8GB ram and a high speed SSD - so the PC is certainly not to blame and not showing the behaviour in other applications. If this is any clue - I note that if task manager is running - as I type - accordance is eating perhaps 20 to 30% of the processing power of the machine - so something rather strange is going on here. I tried a clean install of Accordance - but that did not fix the issue. It's certainly not a show stopper- just a little annoying.

Many thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Nigel

Nigel,

Could you add a screen shot of the notes window?

Is this problem new for you in 11.0.3?

Is your notes file very large?

Did you install or remove any fonts from your system?

This has nothing to do with the speed of your machine. I am hoping that your response will give me an idea - since I cannot reproduce this on my machine.

Hi Orly

Thanks for your response

- I am not certain - but yes - the issue may well be related to 11.03

- Just checked - and my notes file is 16mb - so yes - a decent size - there is certainly a few years of content in there (one of the best functions of Accordance for me)

- Don't believe I have changed any fonts - but happy to look for particular fonts if you like or to install some you would like me to

- Have included a couple of screen captures

Best regards

Nigel

post-32340-0-72201800-1421580106_thumb.png

post-32340-0-68451000-1421580112_thumb.png

Nigel,

I was able to reproduce this problem when I had a few screen-full of text for a single verse. It is not the size of the file that matter - just the text per verse.

We will work on optimizing the solution to this, but until then--

I hope that you can find a way to break your notes into separate verses. This will help with the typing speed until a fix is available.

Hi Orly

There are several years worth of notes now in there - so some of those notes are getting long against certain verses - so what you say would make sense. There is no real way I can see to split it out - would rather undermine the purpose of my use of Accordance - but I look forward to the team optimizing this in a future release - I can wait.

Many thanks

Nigel

• 3 months later...

Hi again Orly

Sorry to bug u again on this issue.  Wondered if the developers have scheduled the work as yet to resolve the lag in user notes in Accordance for windows.  I note that the issue is persisting in the 11.05 recent update - if anything, it almost seems a little worse? 

Best regards

Nigel

Nigel, unfortunately, when editing single very large notes, there will likely remain a bit of a typing lag for the near future.  Fixing this will require a pretty big fundamental infrastructure change for editing, which we have plans to do, but is not something we can whip out very quickly.  Your best bet to get around this for now is splitting up your content into multiple smaller individual notes.

Sorry that we don't have a good solution for you!  We are keenly aware of the problem, but unable to fix it for you just yet.

• Like 1

Hi Joel.  Many thanks for the prompt response.  I suppose I have kinda got used to it.  I am sitting typing notes this  morning (not long notes) and on a Core i7 4th Gen processor, with a fast SSD - accordance is running seconds behind my typing.  I have got used to just typing and not looking at the screen.  Means I need to go back and correct a bit at times.  I appreciate you are going to have to complete some open heart surgery on the product - so I am happy to wait.  Does the Mac version suffer from the same issue? (I moved from Mac to avoid carrying 2 laptops). 

Best regards

Nigel

Joel - while I have your attention - can I take advantage and ask for a tweak in the product?  As someone who favours the keyboard over the mouse - it would be very useful to have a keystroke to trigger the autolink functionality in user notes. 

Many thanks

Nigel

The mac version definitely has the same delay when editing a very large note.

Autolink is available with a Shift-Control-L on Windows (Shift-Command-L on Mac).

Sorry to bug you again Joel.  Can't seem to get SHIFT-CTRL-L to work on windows for Autolink?  Does that need enabled anywhere?

Best regards

Nigel

• 5 months later...

Folks - just checking in re: performance issues editing larger user notes.  With the release of 11.1 has the issue been addressed yet?  I see mention of user notes changes in terms of functionality - will that also improve performance for large notes (I am very keen not to split up my notes).

Best regards

Nigel