Search question #2 - stand alone keywords

dlrude

Hi all,

I started reading about searches and run into something that perplexes me.

The booklet shows this example search => [VERB]@[COUNT 1].

I tried it and it works.

What perplexes me is how/where does one fine the list of valid keywords that can be used as one of these stand alone symbols?

What I mean is where do you go find out that "VERB" was a valid keyword? What other keywords can be used?

Thanks, Dave.

Hey Dave,

I am not sure I know of a complete list.

Go to the help and look in the Comprehensive Reference section for Grammatical Definitions. Those tags all work. Search commands like COUNT and so on work. Check out file:///Applications/Accordance%20Aleph.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/searches_using_symbols.htm or the equivalent on Windows for other stuff. Basically read the entire search part of the manual. Go to the podcast page and download and watch everyone with search in the title : http://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Indexand look for search. There is a whole section of them. That will give you an idea.

Thx

D

If you use the grammatical tag, together with its dialog boxes, Accordance will automatically enter these words using proper syntax. It doesn't take long to see how these searches are built—and what keywords are used.

Thanks Dr. J,

I noticed the dialogue boxes last night.

However sometimes they appeared for example when I used [noun] but they did not appear when I used [verb].

What is the secret to making them appear all the time?

Also only indirectly related but I cannot add a screen shot to a post it does not allow it but I see that others have done it. What is the secret to that.

Dave

p.s. BTW I really like this tool. I had been using Quick Verse. A friend has had Accordance since inception many years ago (a Mac user) and I would call him and get him to look things up for me (a Win user). When it came out for windows I bought it without hesitation (Ultimate Collection ++). I love it. Clearly it is capable of more search and compares than I can conceive and exceeds my abilities but it is a great help to me. I recently got one of my sons set up with an account/credits so as to procure it and he has been impressed by the demo alone.

Great to hear you're enjoying the software!

The dialog boxes are set up to only offer choices that are appropriate for the search. For instance, selecting a noun generates a dialog boxes that includes case, which is not appropriate for a verb. Choosing verb means getting a dialog box with a choice for tense. The system meant to be a help and many of us find it more convenient than memorizing the keywords and syntax. Over time, if we run a lot of one type of search, we wind up memorizing the keywords and syntax as a matter of course ( since Accordance enters them into the Search Entry box automatically).

While I don't have a list of keywords (which are just the commonly used words, rather than a set of obtuse codes), here are some basic rules:

Append a grammatical tag to a lemma with the [AT] sign, followed by a space: @

Enclose the tags using square brackets: []

Place the part of speech first and in caps: [VERB]

Follow with any modifiers using small letters: [VERB present singular]. These modifiers may be in any order.

Enjoy! :-)

The parts of speech dialog boxes appear if you use the Search menu or right-click menu to add the tag to the entry box, not if you try to type in the tag command.

The parts of speech dialog boxes appear if you use the Search menu or right-click menu to add the tag to the entry box, not if you try to type in the tag command.

ahh...

I seem to have gotten the dialog box randomly when I typed in the command.

Will keep alert for using the right-click method, thanks!

BTW - is there a secret to adding a screen shot to a post? I can't do it.

Dave

Click on "More Reply Options" right next to "Post". Then you'll be able to upload screen shots and other attachments.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Edited by Pchris

this is a test

I think I get it, you have to first save the screen shot as a file.

Is that correct?

Thanks!! I see how to do it now.

Dave

post-32900-0-12709600-1420663900_thumb.jpg

post-32900-0-34430500-1420664461_thumb.jpg

Edited by dlrude
  • Like 1