Search for multiple keys

JoeyD

I am trying to search for occurrences of two "Keys" together. If you use the "Select a word(s)" dialogue box this is how the statement ends up being formatted:

[KEY (G2316, G0025)]

However with this I get the error message: "The selected comma is in the wrong position. A comma can only be used to separate items in a list with parenthesis.

Should this work? OR am I missing something?

Thanks,

Joey

I can repro. this. Given that Acc is constructing it for you like that it looks like a bug.

As a w/a does this do what you want : [key G2316] [key G0025]

Though I only find a single hit in ESVS.

Thx

D

Joey, you've found an interesting bug that only occurs if you try and type in an invalid Key number. If you use Enter Key Numbers..., it will construct the search properly as ([KEY G2316], [KEY G0025]).

However, I don't think this is the search you are intending to run. Selecting multiple forms and using this comma notation is to find any of the terms, not all of the terms. That is, you are searching for KEY G2316 *OR* KEY G0025. What you want is likely one of the following:

1) Listing them sequentially to be found sequentially (as Daniel noted): [KEY G2316] [KEY G0025]. (returns 3 hits in the HCSBS, 1 in ESVS)

2) Listing them sequentially, but in any order (God Loves or Loves God): [KEY G2316] [KEY G0025]

3) Finding verses where both words are used, in any order or distance: [KEY G2316] [KEY G0025]

I hope this helps!

I would agree with you except that this is not my formatting... this is how Accordance formatted the search string for me. If you select Search>Command>Key and then hit <Enter> the Select words dialogue box appears, then you can select multiple words (by single clicking each one)... once you have all the desired words hit OK and then Accordance formats the search string as [KEY (G0005, G0009, G0011)] instead of the format you provided above.

Actually, I was trying to construct a search that would find any occurrence of the specified key numbers. I just wanted a quick way to "highlight all" of those occurrences. What you have provided: ([KEY G2316], [KEY G0025]) works perfectly but that is not they way Accordance's word selection dialogue box formats a search request. It appears that this is definitely a bug.

Joey, you are right, if you do Search -> Command -> Key, it enters '[KEY ?]'. If you just press enter, the '?' is certainly an invalid character, so it brings up the dialog. It is definitely handling the formatting incorrectly in this case. I recommend you use Enter Key Numbers... from the same menu, instead of your current logic. Not only is it fewer steps (avoids the 'Enter' key!), but it will format the multiple key numbers properly.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Thanks Joel... I really appreciate your help!

Edited by JoeyD