NIV 1984

Kristin

I have the NIV as published in 2011, but I am trying to get ahold of the NIV published in 1984. Is there a way to get this?

(Also, the forum used to have a "general" section which I really miss. So I am posting it here in lieu of that.)

Thanks,

Kristin

I wouldn't mind getting a copy myself but I don't know of anyone still selling electronic version. I think Zondervan would not allow it to be sold after they released TNIV (?). I still have a copy in Logos from when it was available in packages under Libronix and of course a couple paper copies too. 

Of course I may be wrong but I haven't seen it offered from anyone for years.

Accordance will give you access to the 1984 version if you give them proof of purchase from Logos. I don't think print or ePub versions count. 

The following thread has some information regarding the conditions under which one can obtain NIV 1984 in Accordance (specifically, Helen's comment here):

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

Is there a way to get this?

There is The Holy Bible New International Version 1984 Edition on archive.org

I’m not 100% sure it is the 1984 edition, especially because of the description, “The Holy Bible in the New International Version, pre-2011 edition or the 1984 edition without gender-neutral language.” According to this site, “The biggest change in the 1984 NIV translation was using gender-inclusive language.”

But, the edition on archive.org does have the three 1984 readings mentioned on the same site.

Hi @Michel Gilbert,

Thank you for the links, and I agree the descriptive terminology is sort of unusual, and that it seems like it must be the 1984 given the gender neutral comment. I know the TNIV came out in 2005 (the whole Bible), so if it is pre 2011 and pre TNIV, I guess it's the 1984. 

It's obnoxious how difficult it is to find some versions. I am grateful I still have a paper copy of the NIV 1984, as well as a TNIV. 

Take care,

Kristin

I'm glad I'm wrong about availability although I assume none are Accordance tagged and would have to be imported?

Earlier this year, I found a copy of "NIV Study Bible Complete Library for Macintosh" which is a collection of Zondervan resources for Accordance, that includes NIV 1984. Once I showed Accordance proof that I had the item and the receipt, Accordance added the collection to my Easy Install. Yes, I had to buy a physical CD, but I never had to use it. There is also something called "Zondervan Essential Bible Study Suite" and "NIV Study Bible Basic Library for Macintosh." Do a Google search for Zondervan NIV CD Macintosh, and make sure the product has the Accordance name/logo on the package.

Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310233127/

https://www.amazon.com//dp/0310230098

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0310264650

A.D.

This one is difficult to obtain due to the publisher, but thank you all who have posted suggestions on how to get it! Sometimes when a publisher releases a "revised" product, we're required to "archive" the older product and not continue selling it (although if you still own it, you can use it, and if you can find it on an old CD, that can work to bring it in). There are some exceptions to that rule (I think NASB continues to offer the NASB95 as one example).

Personally, I wish we could continue to sell all editions of a product. I can see situations where customers may want an older edition of a product, and we also spent time developing the product. We wouldn't have to overly promote the older edition of a product (maybe on the latest version product page add something like "Looking for the older NIV84? Click Here"), but publishers at times like us to align with what they're doing in print.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

and if you can find it on an old CD, that can work to bring it in).

@Dr. Nathan Parker,

Would you honor it if I can prove that I own a it as a physical book?

There are several differences in the NIV84 and NIV11. For those of us who owned Accordance prior to 2011 and bought the original NIV84 you can put the two side-by-side and see the differences. 

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 3.28.22 PM.png

4 hours ago, Larry Wing said:

although I assume none are Accordance tagged

Based on @Tony Lawrence's screenshot above, it appears that the Accordance NIV 1984 module is indeed tagged.