A short Accordance feature wish list

dmiller

A few minor improvements I'd like to see in Accordance:

• Consistent display of frequency in the Word Usage Pane 
  • More granular preferences:
    • I'd like to be able to set one lexicon for triple click (by language), another for instant details, and another for single click.
    • I'd like to be able to choose different primary lexica / workspace (e.g., LSJ for Josephus, LEH for LXX, BDAG for GNT)
  • The ability to do page / verse searches within commentary series. For example, a search for page 449 in Fee's 1 Corinthians commentary turns up all occurrences of "page 449" throughout the entire NICNT series.
  • More tagging within Lexica and more tagged classical Greek texts
  • A PhotoMuseum upgrade with photos related to Seleucid and Ptolemaic rulers during the Hellenistic period
  • Like 4

@dmiller Thanks for posting these are well worth considering!

Thanks for the feedback!

• 1 month later...

On the Mac in most programs it is so easy to select text and then drag it to the desktop as a .textclipping. Would love to be able to do this from within Accordance.

2 hours ago, paulcruice said:

On the Mac in most programs it is so easy to select text and then drag it to the desktop as a .textclipping. Would love to be able to do this from within Accordance.

Just curious, what is the usefulness of such textclipping?

My feature wish-list: 

1) cloud syncing

2) see number one

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, A. Smith said:

My feature wish-list: 

1) cloud syncing

2) see number one

Mine too

21 hours ago, paulcruice said:

I forgot this feature on the Mac existed! I tried it years ago back during Tiger. I think it required a certain UI tweak that Accordance didn't support at the time, but now with changes in code over the years, it might potentially be possible.

16 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

it might potentially be possible.

@Dr. Nathan Parker, that is an amazing answer crouched in so much potential. I think Rick would be proud of it. ;)

• Haha 1

:-)

I would love to have the strong’s number tags open BOTH the Mounce/Kohlenberger and Strong’s concordances. I almost always want to see the pronunciations which are in Strong’s, which are not in Mounce/Kohlenberger, and I always want to see how each translates the word.

Then, why should it have to be only these two? Why can’t I option click on a tagged Bible version and choose any concordance or all concordances? The settings should allow you to choose which concordances constitutes that “all” in that option pop-up list.

Hi @Ron Smith. An existing Accordance feature that might get you close to what you want to do is to use the My Workspaces command on the context menu. Basically, it works as follows:

First, create a new workspace and populate it with all the resources you'd like to use in your key number lookup (e.g., the Strong's and KM lexicons). Save the new workspace with a descriptive name. (In my case, I have one workspace called Greek Word Study, containing all my Greek lexicons, and one called Hebrew Word Study, containing all my Hebrew lexicons.)

Then, when you encounter a word you want to lookup in another workspace, right-click it and choose the My Workspaces > [name of workspace created above] command. (Below is an example of me choosing my Greek Word Study workspace off the word θαρροῦντας in Hebrews 13:6:)

my-workspaces.png.3f668250933a73d0c7b432b72d23c204.png

When the new workspace opens, the lexeme of the selected word (and possibly other contextual information, such as the verse where the word is located) will be prepopulated in every resource in the newly opened workspace. (Below are examples of the states of two of the lexicons after my Greek Word Study workspace was opened:)

(1: BDAG)

bdag.thumb.png.a2815d21a28acfd1375140eea1d3ea96.png

(2: Louw & Nida)

louw-nida.thumb.png.38201e2bbd06e3807409120ab006c593.png

On 10/10/2024 at 8:58 AM, Kristin said:

Just curious, what is the usefulness of such textclipping?

You can use it like an extended copy/paste. I'm a lot less organised now, but when I came across interesting things, I used to copy them as text. They didn't take up a lot of storage that way, and I could review them easily. These days, it's easy to copy things with formatting or as screenshots. With storage much more abundant, it's probably more convenient to just keep them in a doc file (or online, for those that use the cloud).

Another benefit was a simpler workflow: click + drag + release instead of the extra steps of an explicit copy and paste. That's now available in, say, Word, but some might like to be able to copy stuff straight into a directory/folder without having to open another app.

• Like 1