Multiple Tabs/Books/Passages

michaeltungmanchen

The Logos mobile app (on iPhone and iPad) lets me open multiple tabs, so I can have multiple books/passages open at the same time, and I can switch easily between them.

E.g.:

In my devotional time, I'm going through Genesis/Mark.

On Sundays, my pastor is preaching through Hosea.

On Tuesdays, I'm reading through John in a Greek reading group.

At youth group, I'm teaching on James.

On my mobile devices, I had been using a different Bible app for each context (so I wouldn't have to take the time to open Hosea ESV/John GNT/James ESV in Accordance). But when I realized that Logos could have multiple tabs and that I could get to each passage with a single swipe, then I started using Logos more, out of convenience.

Can you add this multiple tab/books feature with Accordance? I'd rather stick with Accordance, since I have a much greater/better library in Accordance than in Logos. But for now, I might start using Logos more for mobile settings, out of convenience.

It would be wonderful to have multiple tabs in ios. Been requested many many times over the years and we do have tabs in safari so technically possible!

as an interim, if you download the legacy standard bible app which was developed by accordance from the app store, then you should be able to open both lsb and accordance as two apps side by side within ios. You could open a few of your resources in both apps so it gives you a bit more flexibility, not ideal as they will not be linked but it helps a bit. but there is always the limitation that you must have a text open in order to open a second resource module such as dictionary, study bible or commentary.

You cant open a second resource when a resource is open. Dont forget you can always touch the text or tool name at the top of the screen to open your library and navigate to a similar module.

if you want two texts open and they are both tagged, you can sort of open them as interlinear, but again, not perfect as wont completely line up!

Recently i have had issues getting my resources into lsb as i think development on that has ceased which has made  it much more restricted than even this  work around could be.

FBC0450B-EA75-469F-B23B-57E2715E65D3.png

Edited by ukfraser

@michaeltungmanchen

Accordance lets you do a (very) limited form of multiple tabs with 'split view' for iOS devices. You can open a document and a related document to view simultaneously, but I don't see an option for making the second window show an arbitrary resource.

A workaround that gives you about the same functionality as Logos mobile tabs is to open several resources on Accordance mobile one after the other. Then when you press the 'book' icon at the bottom left of the screen, they appear in the top half of the selection pane as "Recently Opened". The steps to switch is similar on both platforms, though Accordance doesn't have a swipe left/right for a quick switch.

5 hours ago, Lawrence said:

but I don't see an option for making the second window show an arbitrary resource.

If you touch the text title you can see all your texts. 
if you touch a resource title you can see and navigate to everything in your library, text or non text!!!

if you have a text open you can open a second resource in a split window.

if you open a non text resource on its own, you cannot open a split window. Hence my suggestion above about adding lsb so you can at least open two apps in ios and look at some of your resources.

But you can have a text and something like a non related atlas open at the same time.

BUT you cannot search the second resource so you have to rely on the index to navigate in the second pane which can be a pain in, for example, badly set out lexicon indexes! (Accordance haven't had a standard for indexes so there is a great variety in the groupings such as some grouped under a letter and others are not! I think accordance really need a set of programming standards for formatting their resources but they are unlikely to reformat their legacy resources as we are already seeing a backlog in corrections.)

17B92F08-5BD0-4196-AD10-428BDEAE4FAB.png

B70EE768-D79A-476F-B093-727EAADB6193.png

Edited by ukfraser

Great feedback. Thanks!

On 8/16/2024 at 8:53 AM, michaeltungmanchen said:

open Hosea ESV/John GNT/James ESV in Accordance

There are some other work arounds (while we wait for multiple tabs!)

1: use your search history to quickly go through your readings. This wont give you esv and gnt but you can quickly change translations by clicking their title. 

to go to your search history, in search, click the clock at the far left of your screen. You can very quickly switch between search results which is almost as quick as swiping!

2: in esv, if you go to hosea and start reading. Then select james, (in settings under general, i have found that grid is the quickest way to use verse picker) and start reading. If you want to switch between hosea, and james, use the back and forward arrows at the bottom of the text. You can scroll through the chapters with the up and down arrows next to them. When switching between books, it tends to go to the beginning of the book unfortunately, not where i was last reading, but it speeds navigation if you dont want to use the verse picker, which i tend to.

3: if you use your library from the book icon at the bottom and use recently opened as Lawrence suggested, when you switch from esv to gnt, if gnt was last opened in john, then even if you are reading hosea in esv, gnt will open in john. But if you switch translation from the title at the top and not the book icon at the bottom, then you should stay in hosea as you switch translations.

the ios app isnt perfect and is crying out to be developed, especially with multiple tabs! I would prefer more tabs rather than more window splits! but it is still quite powerful with lots of workarounds. 

its just worth playing with it and finding out what works for you. My workflows while I wait for multiple tabs currently are:
I use search when preparing for the multiple Sunday lectionary readings as i copy and paste from a lectionary app i have in my calendar;

I switch texts or resources from the module title at the top;

Finding bible books or chapters,  I typically use the verse picker or index as I find that is most like a physical book but is still faster than those who use physical books and i find it easier than using search;
and i go to the library icon when jumping between non related non text resources. 

it is really important configuring the settings to work the most efficient way for how you use the app though as a lot of the default ones dont work for me.

i also used to have a lot of bible apps but have now deleted them all apart from accordance and sefaria. I have built up quite a library in accordance, and I want to be able to access all the resources i regularly use wherever and whenever i am on my mobile devices.

AF50BDB4-43F2-4C78-BFD4-B009FA422CD5.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser