Accordance has been unable to verify its status online

Solly

I am getting this message every few days now and I don't know why. I had the message about 8 hours earlier and I checked easy install to link to the servers. Refreshed the Easy Install tool just to make sure it had touched base with the server. The earlier error stated 5 days since verifying online status, now about 8 hours later the complaint is "Accordance has been unable to verify its status online for over 7 days." It then shuts down. What is going on? I often close Accordance and restart several times a day--I don't keep Accordance open for days and days.

--Joseph the perplexed

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 10.09.25 PM.png

• Sad 1

Yikes…. I just tried this on my iPad, and it can’t load my purchases either…. That is not good. 

This is super creepy. I had been specifically and explicitly told by Accordance in the past that they are NOT like BibleWorks, and had been assured that even if Accordance went totally under and shut down, that I would still be able to use the software since Accordance ONLY contacts the server to download new purchases. So this is deeply concerning. @Dr. Nathan Parker, can you please clarify what is going on??? Why is Accordance trying to verify something online? Is this some new change with v.14? Is v.13 still safe? 

It is very important that I can use the software even if Accordance goes under and my computer can't verify anything with the server. Not only just for reassurance, but because I had been directly told by Accordance that Accordance did NOT need to verify anything with any server in order to function. 

23 minutes ago, Kristin said:

I had been specifically and explicitly told by Accordance in the past that they are NOT like BibleWorks, and had been assured that even if Accordance went totally under and shut down, that I would still be able to use the software

@Kristin BibleWorks still allows licensed users to download, activate, and use their software. See: https://www.bibleworks.com 

• Like 1

@Solly , @Shane R., @Kristin  I am unable to replicate the issue. It seems easy install on my Mac is working as it should.. 

Screenshot2024-07-24at13_05_46.thumb.png.37e44c6e01408690a741c9eec04794de.png

Screenshot2024-07-24at13_05_07.thumb.png.5cc9190ceb9586690c5a926257a94ea7.png

Installing on IOS also seems fine:

IMG_2054.thumb.png.74d4ac2bc5789fc80f60a80e36e8b223.pngIMG_2055.thumb.png.260170b6f73b82a709c4eb0e65f87982.png

For those having the issue, please reach out to Tech Support via email.

Also specify whether you have or do not have an active payment plan.

I cannot replicate this issue on any of my installations of Accordance. My Accordance apps are launching successfully.

Generally, this error message is only supposed to appear if you have an active payment plan and if you haven't connected to the Internet for a while.

Everyone who buys books outright should not have the error message. 

What I was originally told by Helen (even before I came to work here) was that people who buy books outright remain in permanent status where Accordance does not need to check the servers (except when downloading a new book or updating existing books), but that people on payment plans were placed on a system that would occasionally reach out to the server and ensure that the payment plan was still active on their account. Once the payment plan was paid off, the account would revert back to permanent status and function the same as someone else who bought books outright. If there wasn't an Internet connection to the server for a while, this error message could appear until the customer re-connected to the Internet and to the server.

This was a safeguard put in place so that someone who bought books on a payment plan didn't attempt to cancel the payment plan after Accordance paid the royalties for the books and walk away with free books. It should not appear to people who buy books outright and pay in full.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Everyone who buys books outright should not have the error message. 

Thank you, Nathan! This post really scared me, but now I feel like I can breathe again!!

You can definitely breathe again.

If for some reason, customers not on a payment plan are seeing the error message, then it's something our team can look into and resolve, as it is not intended for non-payment plan customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

BibleWorks still allows licensed users to download, activate, and use their software. See: https://www.bibleworks.com 

Hi Brian, thank you for the link, but I had actually just used BW as an example. When BW first went under, people with v.9 no longer had access to BW, and there was nothing to do about it. This ultimately led me to Accordance, and Linda confirmed that there was no way to access BW9. Years later I got a new computer and obviously I didn't transfer the program, as there had been no way to access it for years. Eventually someone somehow got it back running again, hence your link, but that was literally years too late and I don't have the disk anymore or anything. I don't really miss BW anymore since Accordance has really fit me like a glove, and I have bought in Accordance more than I had in BW. Really my only issue with Accordance has been the corruption issues and the lack of export, but as far as how it runs, I find it perfect. I am just relieved that the error occurs for outstanding payments, or payment plans, and does not apply to people who have paid in full. That seriously scared me.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

If for some reason, customers not on a payment plan are seeing the error message, then it's something our team can look into and resolve, as it is not intended for non-payment plan customers.

Thank you for clarifying this!! :) 

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi Brian, thank you for the link, but I had actually just used BW as an example. When BW first went under, people with v.9 no longer had access to BW,

Really? This is a little hard to understand. If people had BW 9 on their computer it should not have suddenly stopped working when BibleWorks closed their doors. I had BW10 so maybe that is different, but BibleWorks 10 continued to work on my Windows PC till I retried the PC last summer.

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

I don't really miss BW anymore since Accordance has really fit me like a glove

Hello, @Kristin I feel the same way!

I first tried Accordance way back when and ran it on my PC using the Basilisk II Open Source 68k Macintosh emulator. I fell in love with the program right away and eventually moved to Mac.

So, on my iPad, I logged out, and back into my Accordance account, and it started working again. It probably is an account thing. I noticed that the accounts merged on the forums a while back, whereas I used to have a separate login for the forums, and a different login for my Accordance account. They are now one. Perhaps it was related to that? I’m not sure.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@Brian K. Mitchell I have not had any issues with easy install, so that is not the source of the error message.

@Dr. Nathan Parker I have never had a payment plan, so that is not the source of the error message.

This has been happening sporadically now for about half a year, but getting it twice in one day is getting annoying. I will be contacting tech support today.

--Joseph the perplexed

Edited by Solly
Correct spelling error

My issue was with easy install, I see that wasn’t clear when re-reading my post. My program was functional. My easy install didn’t load anything. A quick log out and back into my Accordance account solved this.

@Solly didn’t mean to hi-jack your thread, i thought it was a related, or same issue. I see your’s is different. Hope you can get it figured out. Maybe a DNS issue? Or network or perhaps try on a VPN? Not sure where you are located, but sometimes ISP’s can block things, or geo boundaries. Again, no idea if these are relevant.

Solly, may you quickly be de-perplexed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

Really? This is a little hard to understand. If people had BW 9 on their computer it should not have suddenly stopped working when BibleWorks closed their doors. I had BW10 so maybe that is different, but BibleWorks 10 continued to work on my Windows PC till I retried the PC last summer.

Hi Brian,

Ya, that is unfortunately what happened, and yes, you are correct about v.10. They had been promoting v.10 for awhile, but they had just been advertising some features which I truly didn't care about, so I stuck with 9. Then right before they went under they sent out an email saying they were going under, and this was the last chance to get v.10. But obviously I didn't want to invest in a company that was literally going under. But then a few weeks later the company officially closed, and when I went to open my BW that day, instead of opening, I got an error message saying BW couldn't open since it couldn't connect to the server, and there was NO WAY to get past that message. The only option was to click ok, and once you did, the program shut on its own. (I should also mention that my BibleWorks had been paid off in full years before). 

I did some hunting online and learned that the v.10 upgrade would bypass the server verification, whereas v.9 would still require it. I eventually called Accordance and explained all this to Linda. She told me that she, and a lot of BW customers, had been truly surprised about v.9, as no one knew v.9 wouldn't be even functional until AFTER BW closed and then she told me about the Accordance Crossover package.

So ALL of my resources I bought or created were just gone, and there was no way to retrieve them. So then when I was getting ready to invest in Accordance more than I had done even with BibleWorks, before I did, I spoke with Accordance on the phone, someone from tech support, and I explained how I was jumpy about investing because of my BW experience. He assured me that Accordance only contacted the server to download something, but otherwise it does not, so that even if Accordance went under, I would still be able to use it. So then Joseph's screenshot scared me and gave me BW flashbacks.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Solly said:

I have never had a payment plan, so that is not the source of the error message.

This has been happening sporadically now for about half a year, but getting it twice in one day is getting annoying. I will be contacting tech support today.

Hi Joseph,

That is disturbing. Thankfully it sounds like a bug given what Nathan said. If you are able to, please let us know how this gets resolved after you contact tech support.

I emailed tech support with full details early this morning--hope to hear back with a response today or tomorrow. 

--Joseph 

The issue has been resolved, as I expected it would once Billy was aware of the problem. 

Thank you, Billy!

--Joseph the content 

Here is the email from Tech Support:

Hi Joseph,

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Your account has been reset to a permanent status.

This has happened to a couple of others in the last year or so. We are looking into what may have caused these incorrect account settings.

Again we apologize. This should not happen again.

Best wishes,

Billy
  • Like 4

@Dr. Nathan Parker, please mark this issue and thread as resolved.

Thank you, 

--Joseph

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solly said:

The issue has been resolved, as I expected it would once Billy was aware of the problem. 

Thank you, Billy!

--Joseph the content 

Here is the email from Tech Support:

Hi Joseph,

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Your account has been reset to a permanent status.

This has happened to a couple of others in the last year or so. We are looking into what may have caused these incorrect account settings.

Again we apologize. This should not happen again.

Best wishes,

Billy

I'm glad you have been de-perplexed.

My favorite part of the message from Billy?   "We apologize."

How refreshing.

• Like 3

@Solly Glad you're set. Billy is truly awesome. I still bounce support questions off him when I personally get stumped.

Honestly, I believe Billy is one of the best Tech Support reps in the entire software industry I have worked with, both as customer and now as colleague.

• Like 1

I agree with that assessment @Dr. Nathan Parker!

• Like 1