Do you use any software, programs, or websites in conjunction with Accordance?

Brian K. Mitchell

Question: Do you use any software, programs, or websites in conjunction with Accordance? and if 'yes' what, how, and why?

Devonthink for notetaking, great program.

The other software L for browsing commentaries

• Thanks 1

I use the Logos web application in the Accordance browser window. So I have the use of both. I find that scripture searching and original language works best with Accordance, but Logos has many great commentaries and other resources that I can purchase individually, so I use those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mainly use apples notes app on my ipad as i find notes within accordance doesnt work the way i do. Its great that notes automatically syncs with both mbp and iphone can can work on any device anywhere and get seamless problem free syncing.

🤔

While i wait for stacks to come to ios.

i also use word on mbp to format my notes when required.

I also use HymnQuest which is a music database of 34,000 hymns  for finding something when i get prompted to find something when i read a text. But also has biographies etc. fantastic resource!

F303CEC9-6FA2-4957-A47D-FD4642C27C06.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Are you asking about apps in general, or apps we use alongside Accordance in our Bible study workflow?

14 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Are you asking about apps in general, or apps we use alongside Accordance in our Bible study workflow?

I had in mind apps that people use alongside (in conjunction with) Accordance in Bible study, exegesis, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will often have one desktop with Accordance open and a second one with Logos open. I sometimes run the web app version of Logos in the Accordance browser window as well. Each has advantages and disadvantages. ;)

--Joseph 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Solly said:

I sometimes run the web app version of Logos in the Accordance browser

This is sort of an ignorant question, but what is the advantage of that, rather than just opening a normal browser to open it?

Logos and BlueLetterBible. 

• Thanks 1

Depends on what stage of the work I'm in. During research/exegesis, I use the logos mac app (really only for stuff accordance doesn't have), kindle for books (I have almost no actual paper books these days. long story), Paratext BT app, TLG, Perseus, Scaife, and Attalus most often. Note I'm working in the New Testament right now and for the next few years. Along with apple notes where I keep various translation records and a few excel spreadsheets we use to log various translation goals/activities, etc. When I'm working with the translators It's just accordance (where I keep exegetical notes), Paratext, my greek bible (biblia graeca LXX-GNT in one cover) and then I sometimes use freeform for sharing notes and ideas but most often a blank pages doc works well for listing and analyzing our translation options. For community checks there are some resources on Door43/Unfolding Word. But comprehension testing usually happens in areas without access to power or electricity, so I get what I need downloaded and just use it from notes or preview, along with Paratext and accordance. These two apps, Paratext and accordance, are basically open 24/7 unless I'm taking a leave. Of course, Paratext entails windows 11 and parallels v19. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kristin said:

… what is the advantage of that, rather than just opening a normal browser to open it?

See this discussion: 

—Joseph

• Like 1

17 hours ago, A. Smith said:

kindle for books (I have almost no actual paper books these days. long story),

Interesting. I bought several nivac volumes when they were on a ridiculous offer but when i actually came to use them, i really struggled with the formatting so bit the bullet and bought them in accordance. Which is why I really dont want to get jaa in kindle despite it being a good price. 

i find kindle is ok if you dont need to look at references in the text but a nightmare if you use references as its difficult to jump about between text and references. 

1 hour ago, ukfraser said:

Interesting. I bought several nivac volumes when they were on a ridiculous offer but when i actually came to use them, i really struggled with the formatting so bit the bullet and bought them in accordance. Which is why I really dont want to get jaa in kindle despite it being a good price. 

i find kindle is ok if you dont need to look at references in the text but a nightmare if you use references as its difficult to jump about between text and references. 

I don't really have a choice. I moved to rural africa and had to sell over 3,000 physical books. I was only able to bring around 50. So, basically, I only have physical books for the things I can't get electronically. For reference books, I prefer accordance (or logos if I must). For monographs and other books I prefer kindle or pdf. Kindle is by far the best e-reader (compared to accordance or logos; I don't even consider other e-readers). Happily kindle is often cheaper than either accordance or logos as well. So, I've got my greek and Hebrew bibles in print, a few other books that don't exist digitally (some reference books (CRINT, CANE, CAM, Muraoka's LXX grammar [CANE and CAM are available on archive.org, but I really hate reading on that site]), some biblical studies monographs, and quite a few locally published monographs on African theology and linguistics as physical books. And I've also resigned myself to the fact that they probably own't make it back to America with me when we're finished. There's only so much you can pay for in airline baggage fees. This is just part of the price of the sort of life/ministry we've chosen I guess.

More practically, using kindle here's what I often do. I have my physical bible, kindle on my iPad open to a book, kindle on my Mac opened to another book, and then accordance and logos opened. So I use the physical bible or accordance to search references if needed. Using kindle on the iPad is fantastic. But using it on macOS as well lets me open multiple books if needed. For whatever reason, kindle for iPadOS doesn't allow multiple windows.  

• Like 3

GotQuestions.org

This website takes natural language questions and answers them citing sources. Super helpful. Wish Accordance could do the same thing with all of the modules I have. 

Bibleref.com

A site related to Gotquestion.org, this site has great, succinct commentary, and overviews. 

wordhippo.com 

When preparing outlines and looking for alternative words or alliteration.

Mac Pages 

For lesson prep. 

PDF Expert 

iPad version for teaching from a manuscript. 

Mac Books

ebook commentaries and theology books that Accordance doesn’t offer. 

• Thanks 1