Resources

Tom Caton Sr.

I’m looking for resources on Maccabees that would interact with my accordance program . Could anyone point me in a helpful direction? Thanks 

Until we get the jewish annotated apocrypha, im tending to use the new oxford annotated bible along with the nrsv for the text of 1-4 but there is also anchor for maccabees 1&2 so it depends on your budget and how much info you require. Did you want the greek?

its easiest to search the main site for maccabees and you will see a few more options.

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/new-revised-standard-version-with-strongs-numbers/

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/new-oxford-annotated-bible-with-apocrypha-fully-revised-fifth-edition-2018/

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/anchor-yale-bible-commentary-apocrypha/

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/anchor-yale-bible-commentaries-old-testament-and-apocrypha-63-volumes/

greek

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/lxx-gottingen-with-apparatus-1-maccabees/

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/lxx-gottingen-with-apparatus-2-maccabees/

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/greek-pseudepigrapha/

5F603CE0-02CD-4675-9197-C89FF4684A16.png

ACF30CA6-8797-4095-B2AF-C0432BA30BB5.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for this information. I actually have the New Oxford study Bible. Until you mentioned it I had forgotten it. It has  1-4 Maccabees included as you said. The others I had found in my search but they were too expensive for how I would use them. The less expensive ones like the 

LXX Göttingen with Apparatus-1 Maccabees does it translate to English or is it all Greek? 

Just to reveal to you I am not a student of Greek. I’m an older preacher and need to try to incorporate some outside the Bible literature that will shed light on Bible studies I do. I was studying in 2 Peter 3 and using NASB with strongs and Holman Bible commentary. It had a link for Maccabees but would not open for me. Hence me digging deeper. I really appreciate the input.

3 hours ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

. It had a link for Maccabees but would not open for me. Hence me digging deeper. I really appreciate the input.

I think you need something like the nrsv if you want an English translation. There may be others but thats the translation i go to and nrsv and noab are designed to work together as both have the parallel versions and the nrsv is tagged. Screenshot and links above. 

i dont know if the holman or nasb bibles have the apocrypha but its not stated so my guess is that they dont which is why the hyperlink doesnt work.

the jerusalem bible hard copy has maccabees 1 & 2 but isnt tagged so i would try nrsv first.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I will look into this for references. Great information for me. Thank you

The NETS (not NET) is an English translation of the Septuagint. Note that tagged English texts aren’t going to help you any more with 1 and 2 Maccabees than untagged English texts because tagging relies on Strongs numbers or G/K numbers and neither of those systems cover all the Greek words in the Septuagint. 

• Like 1

Thank you for this information. What would be the best way to use Maccabees in my studies and sermon preparation in Accordance? I have used accordance for years. And still do not understand why some of the links it gives in reference to scripture don’t work. I am hesitant to purchase because I don’t really understand what I need to make what I’m trying to do work. I have reached out to accordance tech support for a computer share several times. They are really busy I think.

1 hour ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

And still do not understand why some of the links it gives in reference to scripture don’t work. 

It would be helpful to give examples of when they dont work and from what resources. 
my assumption is that you are using holman bible commentary which has a link to maccabees and that is the link which isnt working. My understanding is that you dont have a bible text with maccabees in which is why the link is failing. Therefore you need a bible text with that. (I dont have holman so cant experiment but in noab near page 1834 there are several references to maccabees and i get the screenshot below)
as you have noab, i would be tempted to go for nrsv as its the translation that is included in the hard copy of noab so the noab notes tie in with the text.
But equally you could go for nets which is a good translation but based on the lxx which makes it very useful when you get references in the commentaries to the lxx.

Its very much depends on how you want to build your library with the different underlying translation basis. But either texts should work, i just have nrvs above nets in my library and nrsv is listed as my primary link reference as it has all the text including apocrypha and is the standard translation used in all the churches I attend. 

If and when your finances stretch to it, consider getting both, especially when they are on offer!

But check all the texts you already have to see if any of those have the apocrypha and if you already have one, then it may be a question of setting up hyperlinks in your library. 

Hope this helps

;o) 

41555434-EBED-4A87-8B31-D695135479E0.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

I was studying in 2 Peter 3 and using NASB with strongs and Holman Bible commentary. It had a link for Maccabees but would not open for me.

@Tom Caton Sr. try this...

(1) go to settings

(2) scroll down till you find tool display (it is the 7th option)

Screenshot2024-07-21at0_13_17.thumb.png.ff5bd0a7e55a9879774a29df0c7810c5.png

(3) look at the right side of the tool display dialog box and find Hypertext area/heading

(4) under Hypertext area you should see options for color, style, text, alternative text, and picture.

Text = is the reasource/Bible you would like to open when you click on hypertext/hyperlinks

alternative text= is the text you would like to open if the first text option does not work.

So, Text could be set to your most used Bible translation

And alternative text could be set to a Bible translation that has the deuterocanonical (or apocrypha)

Screenshot2024-07-21at0_14_42.thumb.png.6a31abd21cfa25c462f171f8afda8ad3.png

If you have a Bible translation with the apocrypha in it follow the steps above and then click those links to Maccabees 

If, this doesn't work please let me know

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

The NETS (not NET) is an English translation of the Septuagint. Note that tagged English texts aren’t going to help you any more with 1 and 2 Maccabees than untagged English texts because tagging relies on Strongs numbers or G/K numbers and neither of those systems cover all the Greek words in the Septuagint. 

Thank you so much for the information.

4 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

(1) go to settings

(3) look at the right side of the tool display dialog box and find Hypertext area/heading

(4) under Hypertext area you should see options for color, style, text, alternative text, and picture.

Text = is the reasource/Bible you would like to open when you click on hypertext/hyperlinks

alternative text= is the text you would like to open if the first text option does not work.

And alternative text could be set to a Bible translation that has the deuterocanonical (or apocrypha)

If you have a Bible translation with the apocrypha in it follow the steps above and then click those links to Maccabees 

I cannot replicate my problem. Although as I said I run into this issue a not being able to open links to other information. I typically am studying with NASBw/s and Holman commentary. I also research using other references and text . I believe a lot of it is user error. Not understanding how these links work ie: terminology and definition of language in text and references. So when I see a link to Maccabees which I am familiar with I think I wonder what’s there. Nothing happens and I am left with not being able to fix it. My first thought is I must not have this module. I come by that because sometimes  it will send a prompt up that tells me the resources is not available. Where is a good tutorial or class that might help understand my issues here?

6 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

(1) go to settings

I  changed the settings per your instructions. these are screen shots of my workspace and modules of Strongs and study bible text I currently have. If this issue happens again I will share it right away. I have NRSV w/s open on the right. I don’t understand how to use it with NASB. Should I be using NRSV w/s with another bible? I am currently preparing a message on 2 Peter 3. I want to be able to reference Maccabees along with other tools that I use to better understand the times and story line. I apologize to you folks for taking your time and not being able to reproduce it for you to help me. 

Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 4.22.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 4.22.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 4.23.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 4.27.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-20 at 4.34.47 PM.png

I think there are two issues.

1) for linking

Try changing the alternative text from kjv apocrypha to the nrsv in your hypertext setting. 

once ok'd you may have to shut down your holman and reopen it for the change in settings to take effect but i dont think that is your problem as you already have kjv apocrypha set as an alternative text and that has maccabees 1&2 so any link should work. Try the links to 1 macc and 2 macc on page 1834 in noab to make sure they are working as in my screen shot above. (The link to 4 macc will only work if you have switched to nrsv and 4 macc isnt included in the kjv apocrypha.)

2) but more importantly, what is the link you have between 2 peter 3 and maccabees?

from your screenshot of nasb 2 peter 3, where is the link you are clicking on that should open maccabees? I cant see a link that states maccabees in any of the other resources you have open on the screenshot. In theory, the kjv apocrypha should be opening so settings probably isnt the issue.

The resources you have open all appear not to be linked to 2 peter 3 but the grey info one is showing for 1 john 2:8  as are the other texts and i cant see the holman commentary in the screenshot.

You certainly have the resources you need but I'm missing how or where 2 peter 3 and maccabees are linked but its worth reading the 2 maccabees introduction in noab for pointers on the story line.

as regards set up, i would have my primary text and commentary and have them linked, in your case nasb and holman plus any others you use. In the left pane, it says add parallel and you could add nrsv there but if linked it will just show how other translators have handled the passage.  And as you scroll your text, so the commentaries and any other texts will scroll with it and once you have set your hypertext links, you can click on a link and the secondary text will open and you can then follow it down a rabbit hole!

But as to linking the nasb to show something being referenced to a different book in something like nrsv, you need a resource in between such as nasb notes, study bible or commentary and the nasb will link to the reference module and the reference module will have the hypertext links to other text (seen as red in your workspace screenshot).

if you search the forum, a few years ago, mark asked for screenshots of people work spaces and there are lots of examples. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Thanks 1

If you'd like some further direction on how to explore references to 1 or 2 Maccabees when you run across them, I'm happy to try and help.  For example, I'm thinking about trying to put a screen cast together for you, as I have some time this week.  To that end, can you share what Commentary modules you have?  I don't have the Holman commentary you mentioned, which I believe where you found the reference to 1 or 2 Maccabbees.  If we have a commentary module in common, I can make sure to use that in a screen cast.  

• Thanks 1

@Lorinda H. M. Hoover If you do a screencast, send it to me as well, and we could feature it across our various channels. If you wanted to write a small post to go with it, we could feature you as a guest contributor on our blog.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2024 at 8:14 PM, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

If you'd like some further direction on how to explore references to 1 or 2 Maccabees when you run across them, I'm happy to try and help.  For example, I'm thinking about trying to put a screen cast together for you, as I have some time this week.  To that end, can you share what Commentary modules you have?  I don't have the Holman commentary you mentioned, which I believe where you found the reference to 1 or 2 Maccabbees.  If we have a commentary module in common, I can make sure to use that in a screen cast.  

That would be very kind of you to do. Here are my commentaries. I am still going through the most recent post from other members and trying the different advice. I would welcome any advice you would offer me.

Screen Shot 2024-07-21 at 9.27.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-21 at 9.27.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-21 at 9.28.07 PM.png

On 7/20/2024 at 4:33 PM, ukfraser said:

I think there are two issues.

1) for linking

Try changing the alternative text from kjv apocrypha to the nrsv in your hypertext setting. 

once ok'd you may have to shut down your holman and reopen it for the change in settings to take effect but i dont think that is your problem as you already have kjv apocrypha set as an alternative text and that has maccabees 1&2 so any link should work. Try the links to 1 macc and 2 macc on page 1834 in noab to make sure they are working as in my screen shot above. (The link to 4 macc will only work if you have switched to nrsv and 4 macc isnt included in the kjv apocrypha.)

2) but more importantly, what is the link you have between 2 peter 3 and maccabees?

from your screenshot of nasb 2 peter 3, where is the link you are clicking on that should open maccabees? I cant see a link that states maccabees in any of the other resources you have open on the screenshot. In theory, the kjv apocrypha should be opening so settings probably isnt the issue.

The resources you have open all appear not to be linked to 2 peter 3 but the grey info one is showing for 1 john 2:8  as are the other texts and i cant see the holman commentary in the screenshot.

You certainly have the resources you need but I'm missing how or where 2 peter 3 and maccabees are linked but its worth reading the 2 maccabees introduction in noab for pointers on the story line.

as regards set up, i would have my primary text and commentary and have them linked, in your case nasb and holman plus any others you use. In the left pane, it says add parallel and you could add nrsv there but if linked it will just show how other translators have handled the passage.  And as you scroll your text, so the commentaries and any other texts will scroll with it and once you have set your hypertext links, you can click on a link and the secondary text will open and you can then follow it down a rabbit hole!

But as to linking the nasb to show something being referenced to a different book in something like nrsv, you need a resource in between such as nasb notes, study bible or commentary and the nasb will link to the reference module and the reference module will have the hypertext links to other text (seen as red in your workspace screenshot).

if you search the forum, a few years ago, mark asked for screenshots of people work spaces and there are lots of examples. 

Thank you for your advice. I changed my settings as you suggested. I also did a search for the page numbers 1834 in NOAB. See image below is what came up. I will dig deeper and try to understand better about links and amplifying to other references . I still have not been able to replicate the NASB W/S using Holman bible commentary to a link in Maccabees. I opened NOAB and NRSV and scrolled all the way through NASB W/S in 2 Peter 1-3 and never found a link to Maccabees. I went completely through Holman commentary into deeper discoveries and teaching outline and no luck. I will chase a rabbit down a whole sometimes just for the shear interest in the scripture. At times it is easy to not recall where I have been.

Screen Shot 2024-07-21 at 10.10.35 PM.png

8 hours ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

I also did a search for the page numbers 1834 in NOAB. 

oops page 1384. My mistake. Soooooo sorry. You should see this once you get the page number and scroll down very gently and see lots of maccabee references to test linking. (If you are old school, you can just click on the index and select the heading you see in the screen shot. Im more used to using indexes for sections and only do searching when looking for something in the text.)

7E753295-349F-4ECA-95F6-7F19D8415F8B.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

. I still have not been able to replicate the NASB W/S using Holman bible commentary to a link in Maccabees.

Try searching Holman for Maccabees and try the settings to English content or scripture and you may be able to retrace your steps with the rabbit. Or search some of the other resources you may have used. But once again, my apologies for mis guiding you. 

But anyway, you now have discovered Maccabees and have something else to delve into!!!!!

as an aside, if you carry on scrolling in noab you get to a section called

NEW TESTAMENT USES OF THE APOCRYPHAL/DEUTEROCANONICAL BOOKS

which has a bit of an insight into their use.

I just like to spend time just opening resources, as for me, a major value in works like noab, jewish study bible and jewish annotated new testament is reading the introductions and essays which you dont typically come across when just linking from scriptural texts.

happy rabbit hunting!

Edited by ukfraser
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the screenshots, you seem to have a very extensive library but you are missing one volume which I find particularly useful for going down rabbit holes is Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament by Beale and Carson.

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/commentary-on-the-new-testament-use-of-the-old-testament/

you may want to consider adding it to your library as its currently on offer.

While not exhaustive, below is a screenshot of part of the notes on 2 peter 3 to give you a flavour of its hidden gems. 

823C1316-1EF3-40AB-9BEA-D1FCBB979E3A.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the commentary list.  Unfortunately my plans for the week have changed, and it's less likely that I will have time to do a screencast.  I might still get to it, but that's less certain now. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

Thanks for the commentary list.  Unfortunately my plans for the week have changed, and it's less likely that I will have time to do a screencast.  I might still get to it, but that's less certain now. 

That is alright. I sincerely appreciate your input and heart. Have a great week.

• Like 1