Forum's post disappeared

Shane R.

2 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Word on a Mac is MUCH better than it used to be.

Hi @Mark Allison,

That is good that it has improved. A really long time ago (so long before the computer I have now), I got Word for Mac since I found Pages sort of frustrating. However, I quickly learned that Word on Mac was nothing like normal Word, and I was really surprised Microsoft would do such a sloppy job. I then moved to OpenOffice which has actually worked really well.

Now, I feel like Pages has really improved since then, so I still use Pages sometimes (Pages is better with foreign languages, and especially better with Chinese characters, for example). However, I still primarily use OpenOffice since Pages makes it so convoluted to change the document language. Their goal is that it is so intelligent that it can just recognize which language I am typing in, and that typically works, but "typically" isn't good enough for someone who messes around with multiple languages, and I appreciate that I can set the language for each document in OpenOffice. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, eshane7 said:

Accordance feels more like driving a car, with very nice features, where Logos feels like setting in the cockpit of a jumbo jet, you don’t just press the gas peddle and go.

I've always loved the Accordance interface. It does such a great job of presenting just the essential elements for 90% of your work, and hiding things that most users will rarely need. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Mark Allison,

That is good that it has improved. A really long time ago (so long before the computer I have now), I got Word for Mac since I found Pages sort of frustrating. However, I quickly learned that Word on Mac was nothing like normal Word, and I was really surprised Microsoft would do such a sloppy job. I then moved to OpenOffice which has actually worked really well.

Now, I feel like Pages has really improved since then, so I still use Pages sometimes (Pages is better with foreign languages, and especially better with Chinese characters, for example). However, I still primarily use OpenOffice since Pages makes it so convoluted to change the document language. Their goal is that it is so intelligent that it can just recognize which language I am typing in, and that typically works, but "typically" isn't good enough for someone who messes around with multiple languages, and I appreciate that I can set the language for each document in OpenOffice. 

You might want to give Word another try. And if you haven't used Mellel before, you might want to check it out. 

• Like 3

My above reference to the state-of-the-industry could also apply to digital cameras. I can remember getting a 2mb one 25 years ago. Since then they have improved drastically. But it is the same with Bible software: the general user now has a camera on his phone that does what he wants to do with a camera and has no need of a specialized camera. Comparatively, the average layman can do all he needs with free Bible software.
Digital cameras companies are suffering in sales dropoffs and are now trying to peddle little bells and whistles on new models to entice customers ... and its a tough market. Talk has surfaced of Nikon brand even going under.

Other than recent AI integration, Adobe Photoshop is in the same boat. And Microsoft Word. There is not really any "wow" factor in the newest iterations, and freeware competitors have taken away the bulk of their patrons. It is, it seems, either subscription models or sink.

It will be interesting to see where things are at 20 years from now. Maybe we won't even need software anymore; everyone will be in our eternal destinies! 🙂

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Mark Allison,

I have used OpenOffice for years! When LibreOffice forked, I went with LibreOffice. It has stayed on top of the development edge. I to this day write all of my sermons in LibreOffice. I have well over 10 years of outlines in LibreOffice. It is versatile, FREE, and backwards compatible. Admittedly it is not as 'pretty' as Word, or Pages, but did I mention it was free. I just cannot bring myself to use Microsoft programs these days. 

EDIT:

Correction, I have outlines dated 2005... I guess time has slipped away from me.

Edited by eshane7
Correction
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, eshane7 said:

LibreOffice. It is versatile, FREE, and backwards compatible

Hi @eshane7,

I agree LibreOffice is more capable than OpenOffice, but I appreciate the simplicity of OpenOffice. :) So I mainly use that, but I also have Libre on my computer for the times I want to do something in html (which is rare...).

17 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

You might want to give Word another try. And if you haven't used Mellel before, you might want to check it out. 

Thank you for the idea, @Mark Allison. I appreciate it, but I have issues with Gates enough that I try to avoid Microsoft as much as possible. Sort of like Google, it is difficult to live a Microsoft free life though. :/ 

• Like 3

Well folks, Mark Allison has been banned from the forums.

That’s weak.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Wes Allen said:

What???? :( His profile is up, so hopefully this isn't the case.

• Confused 1

I can't tag him now @Kristin🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

What???? :( His profile is up, so hopefully this isn't the case.

It’s the case.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Wes Allen said:

That’s weak.

Is this true? @Dr. Nathan Parker 

• Like 4

It's not just Mark, Rick Mansfield has been banned from the forums!!  :( 

6 minutes ago, Kristin said:

It's not just Mark, Rick Mansfield has been banned from the forums!!  :( 

No, I wasn’t. 

26 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

No, I wasn’t. 

Oh good!! :) I see I couldn't tag you since I typed at "Rick" and I needed "R" so I am relieved to hear I was mistaken! I hope we're all mistaken about Mark as well!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it’s true about Mark. I confirmed privately with both Mark and Nathan. 

Very sorry to read about Mark. Let us go today and worship the Lord, who alone is worthy of our praise. The whole earth is full of his glory.

• Like 3

I would be curious what policy he violated. Maybe Accordance should just shut the forums down if they do not want customer input which also includes factual criticism. Since Mark worked at Accordance his perspective was often enlightening. I do not recall that he ever stated anything that was untrue.

Accordance probably needs to remove this thread to be consistent with their desire to cleanse the forums of any criticism.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, John Fidel said:

I would be curious what policy he violated. Maybe Accordance should just shut the forums down if they do not want customer input which also includes factual criticism. Since Mark worked at Accordance his perspective was often enlightening. I do not recall that he ever stated anything that was untrue.

Accordance probably needs to remove this thread to be consistent with their desire to cleanse the forums of any criticism.

@John Fidel agreed. He pushed, reminding the Forum of "promises." Nothing untrue. Uncomfortable for some company folks perhaps. Also agreed that some insights as a former employee were helpful, and actually explained why some of the "promises" have yet to be fulfilled. Sad that cancel culture has come to the Forums.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I would also like clarification why Mark was banned from the forum. Even if he said something to Accordance privately which wasn’t appreciated, that is not a “forum” violation. It leaves myself (and others), with the impression that Mark was banned simply for the crime of being a longtime forum user. His last posts had been agreeing with me that Accordance software is better than L, so it almost appears that he got banned for liking Accordance. As forum users, users should feel safe that they can post as long as they stay within the bounds of the forum guidelines, but that hasn’t felt true for awhile. Further, managements obvious dislike for hearing from users makes me feel like management doesn’t like Accordance users.

• Like 10

This is ridiculous. What's the point of having a user forum, if you ban users who respectfully tell you the truth?

• Like 7

I dont get it either @Kristinbecause the direction of the thread he was last replying to was a positive take on Accordance, so I am confused.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

. . . makes me feel like management doesn’t like Accordance users

I think Accordance should view us as investors, not just users. We have invested a great deal, and we have vested interests. At the very least, the term “investor” is more appropriate in certain contexts than “user,” perhaps even in the phrase I just quoted.

• Like 3

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days

I would guess Mark was banned for giving out (a bit of) insider information on the forums, which I won’t list here.

Mark, if you’re reading this, I can’t tell you how appreciative I am of your help throughout the years, especially the amount of extra effort you put in with screenshots and detailed explanations. I hope to see you again one day on the forums, though I don’t know what that would entail on both sides.

Grace and peace.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michel Gilbert said:

I think Accordance should view us as investors, not just users.

Very true. We are investors and customers. Additionally, the customers who take the time to visit the forums are the same people who are most interested in the software and are often in the position of being asked to recommend bible software to students. So it seems super weird to shun us.

• Like 2