Forum's post disappeared

Shane R.

There was a post about the development on the forums that just disappeared. "Has Accordance Application Development Ceased?" was the title. It was an honest discussion, and it just disappeared. I was hoping to hear answers, and find real responses to the questions. Where did it go?

• Sad 2

Hard questions with unclear answers tend to disappear.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mhanel said:

That doesn't seem ethical.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eshane7 said:

There was a post about the development on the forums that just disappeared. "Has Accordance Application Development Ceased?" was the title. It was an honest discussion, and it just disappeared. I was hoping to hear answers, and find real responses to the questions. Where did it go?

Yeah, now that you mention it.  An internet search provides the link https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/36891-has-accordance-application-development-ceased/  but, that link goes to the following Accordance page having "We could not find that topic".

3 hours ago, mhanel said:

It seems to be the unfortunate case – I've now given up hope that this particular behavior is just a passing phase.

Screen Shot 2024-07-10 at 10.12.03 PM.png

The "Pastor going iPad only?" thread was also deleted as a response to users saying they felt their concerns were not being addressed. Though this is all extremely sad, at least it's ironic.

What I find particularly frustrating is that I knew these two threads were going to get deleted before they were, since it is becoming standard protocol to delete customer concerns.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

The threads have been hidden per management, which means they’re seeing these concerns but have thus far chosen to not respond. Not a good look. 

• Like 9

Nothing Accordance does instills me with confidence it’ll be around long term. I no longer recommend it.

• Like 8

They are depleting the stores of good will and trust that they had cumulated.

A.D.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, A.D. Riddle said:

They are depleting the stores of good will and trust that they had cumulated.

I agree 100%, but I literally don't understand why. It is obviously not good for business to shun your customers or literally delete concerns they have. Assuming that they want to make money, it literally doesn't make sense. Another thing which doesn't make sense is that when it became known to everyone that they are short staffed, and qualified people on the forum offered to help out as a ministry, they weren't interested. Everything about it is just really bizarre.

• Like 8

This is sad. The ownership is out of touch and unresponsive. For two years they have failed to deliver on promises, and the best response you can get is a vague "we're working on it". I can no longer recommend the software and company that I once loved, and I've stopped investing in Accordance resources because of this. Accordance is being left in the dust, and if they don't step up their game, they will end up being out of the game. That would be very sad. Logos; however, will profit from Accordance's bad management. As a user of both for a very long time, Logos is innovating while Accordance is at a standstill. What was once my favorite Bible software, now [sadly] takes a back seat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

The only further option is to ban the users who are posting their concerns. If you take the first step of deleting threads, the second becomes almost inevitable. You can't delete threads only to have the same users start new ones. If you don't want to hear, you take whatever steps are necessary to stifle sound.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, JohnABarnett said:

The only further option is to ban the users who are posting their concerns. 

That's pretty much already happened, sadly. I'm not saying anything more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I used to have the forum open on my ipad and check it daily. Now i visit the forum about once every two weeks and rather than check the web site first thing tuesday morning over my coffee, I just wait to skim the tuesday offers email as i now have zero expectation that there will be anything new in the releases that I want to purchase. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Looks like Nathan "unlocked" the thread:

image.png.5424a7c5a8184b1838985f26741bae3b.png

Here is the link to the topic: 

Hopefully this is a sign of things changing...

The two threads have re-appeared and are unlocked. I've forwarded today's threads over to management for review. I'll try to post more coming up as I can. I'm behind on some other work I need to get caught up on first.

I can confirm that the other thread is back as well:

image.png.c038b373e38aa884f5d099d77e5be1c1.png

@Dr. Nathan Parker I'm curious: Both the threads are notated that they were locked and unlocked by you. Were you able to exercise your own discretion when locking and unlocking these threads, or were you directed by upper management do either or both?

Here is the link: 

@

• Like 3

I do not take any admin-level action on the forums without discussion with management first. While I have admin privileges, I do not (and never will) exercise my admin privileges based on my own personal will, opinions, or feelings. With great power comes great responsibility. All admin-level decisions are discussed with management so that a collective decision is made concerning what admin-level changes are made on the forums, not the subjective will of a single individual.

• Thanks 1

What is so hard about making a public announcement to tell us what the short-term and long-term goals of Accordance are to ease everyone's mind a little bit?

Unless since they fell so short on 14 they are too gunshy to make any advance promises.

• Like 3

Don't come here that often, but I started to notice several months ago that threads were being closed or having their titles changed to cover up issues and problems that might seem embarrassing to Accordance. Such behavior may fool some people, but even I could see through this subtle subterfuge. Now it seems that this problem has become more pervasive and that it is being done with the full involvement by upper management. The cover-up is always more incriminating. 

• Like 5

Well, That's it for me, I will continue to use Accordance app as I have already invested money but I am done with this forum. God bless you all 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ReformedDoc said:

What is so hard about making a public announcement to tell us what the short-term and long-term goals of Accordance are to ease everyone's mind a little bit?

We are working on it as we speak. 

• Like 4

Great to read this, it is a long time coming.

• Like 1

The team at Accordance deserves appreciation for all their hard work and dedication. As a small team, they face immense pressure from both management and customers, making their work particularly challenging.

In today's world, writing software is not as glamorous as some might think. The reality often involves rewrites and refactoring legacy code, which are neither enjoyable nor always productive. Yet, these tasks are crucial for maintaining the high standards that people expect from Accordance.

Users constantly seek new features and improvements towards reliability and stability. However, it is important to recognise that a small team can only do so much. Spreading themselves too thin can significantly degrade their efficiency and effectiveness.

Moreover, navigating the ever-evolving landscape of current technologies and paradigms is no small feat. Learning multiple programming languages and their syntaxes on the fly, while also managing issues with cloud services, adds another layer of complexity to their work. On top of this, keeping documentation updated and accurate is a significant task in itself.

Adapting to both waterfall and agile practices can be challenging, especially when the original agile principles of people and processes are overshadowed by the modern complexities of roles like full-time scrum masters. Ideally, integrating agile principles within a waterfall framework could enhance delivery, but the frequent updates demanded by customers often lead to rushed and poor-quality code.

Their efforts are greatly valued and do not go unnoticed. Their dedication to maintaining and enhancing Accordance is deeply appreciated. Keep up the great work, and thank you for all that you do!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, ReformedDoc said:

Unless since they fell so short on 14 they are too gunshy to make any advance promises.

Please stop trying to pressure them into making promises or predictions they might not be able to keep. Everyone kept asking and pushing, and then we got version 14. Accordance policy used to be not to mention anything until it was releasable. I realize they want everyone happy by saying "something," but most of this merely winds up fueling speculation and distress.

A wise man once noted:

On 6/11/2024 at 11:52 PM, A. Smith said:

There was a time when accordance wouldn’t release or even announce features until they were fully developed and fit for public use…

To which some other guy responded: A policy to which they should seriously, seriously consider returning…

A.D.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A.D. Riddle said:

Everyone kept asking and pushing, and then we got version 14.

Hi @A.D. Riddle,

My understanding is that there was an internal deadline Accordance had wanted to meet, rather than the pressure coming from the users. I was in the beta group and no one in the beta group felt it was even near close to being released.

• Like 4