UNDECIDED - 11" or 13" - FOR BEST IPAD ACCORDANCE EXPERIENCE!

TCanji

Posted (edited)
Hello everyone!

Some time ago sold my old iPad Pro 10.5” and now would love to go back on track with Accordance on an iPad.

I kindly ask you for your help and some words of wisdom in this matter.
As stated I'm undecided regarding the actual size - should I go with 11 or 13?!

What is your preference / user experiece - especially if you had a chance to play with both? I kinda lean toward 13 but are little afraid it may be too big/heavy … yet I'm sure my eyes would disagree 🙂!

I have no need of Magic Keyboard ... only my iPad and Apple pencil ... just read, study, preach!

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
T.

Edited by TCanji

3 hours ago, TCanji said:

... just read, study, preach!

Since you said this, here is my 2¢ worth:

I loved reading in portrait mode on my 6th gen iPad mini; its screen was the perfect size. The problem was multitasking. So I got a 5th gen, 10.9 inch iPad Air, with the M1 chip. Texts/apps are about the same size as they were on the mini, and I can quickly change them on the left with Stage Manager.

I too don’t have a keyboard, just the Apple pencil. And since I just read, study, and occasionally teach, I didn’t need the extras that come with the Pro model. That was back then. I guess the screens are a lot better on the Pro now, but I really haven’t been paying close attention. I'm happy with what I have right now.

It works great for me.

Posted (edited)

Accordance on an iPad is too limiting for me. If I all I want to do is read the Bible or search for "love," it's fine. But I could never use Accordance on my iPad as my primary research tool. But I'm sure they'll update it soon. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Haha 1

Accordance is going to run the same on any iPad screen size, so it really just depends on how big of a screen you want to use.

Personally, I went the opposite direction and went iPad mini, as I primarily use my iPad for reading eBooks. The size is perfect for reading books.

But then again, I'm on a small-screen kick at the moment trying to make screens as less-intrusive in my life as possible.

My 87 year old mother just purchased a -13” iPad Pro to read with, due to deterioration of eye sight and loves it.

I also use this larger size iPad Pro for sheet music and reading Accordance and it’s a great fit for my needs.

The Apple pencil is a waste of time. The iPad size has more weight and I use the keyboard with cover to balance on my lap when lounging in a recliner.

My wife uses the small iPad Pro for reading and I often can’t get her off it 😀

I hope this helps.

41 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Accordance is going to run the same on any iPad screen size

Yes, it runs the same on any iPad—like a simple eBook reader. But I have high hopes for the upcoming release! 

3 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

If I all I want to do is read the Bible or search for "love" . . .

“Just” reading the Bible reminds me of a missions conference at Bible college when an elderly missionary, 82 years old someone said, stood there with a worn out Bible in his left hand, holding it with his arm straight, like how you carry books to school. Then he delivered a moving, exegetical sermon (on 2 Cor. 2:14-17), the best I've ever heard and which I still remember to this day. He had just read his Bible and was able to quote it without opening it (in the original languages too). It was amazing.

The whole point of my using the advanced features of the desktop is to read the Bible on the iPad.

And, we all search for “love” most of our lives, even outside of Accordance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cweber said:

I also use this larger size iPad Pro for sheet music and reading Accordance and it’s a great fit for my needs.

I should try sheet music on mine (or borrow my mother's larger screen and try it). Still been using all print sheet music.

2 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

But I have high hopes for the upcoming release! 

We're getting a little help to speed up the next release:

https://www.printmuseum.org/gutenberg-press

Thank you all for your time and feedback. 

Yes, I used to read, study and preach from my iPad and I was happy with what I could do at the time. And yes, I sure hope with the rest of you to see some substantial improvements in Accordance department for iOS (thunderstorms or not)! However, to be clear for my deep dive I always use a full blown version on my Mac due to iOS limitations.

I was primarily interested to hear what iPad you own and how satisfied are you with the user experience. I had 10.5 and now I would like to switch to 13 yet have some reservations that it will be to heavy, but love the screen real-estate, hence the title - “undecided”! If you are one of those using 13 (12.9) I’d really appreciate hearing from you!

I wouldn't even mind using an android device (which I do have) but alas - surprise, surprise - Accordance does not really work on Android (unlike Logos and OliveTree)!

Again, thank you all for your 2 c 🙂!

Blessings,
T.

10 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

He had just read his Bible and was able to quote it without opening it (in the original languages too).

@Michel Gilbertthat was simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

After having my standard iPad stolen three years ago, I have gone without until recently, when I bought an iPad Air. My wife bought the 11 inch, but I wrestled with getting the 13 inch for two reasons. First, I abhor tiny screens (for three years I've been putting up with an iPhone at home and at church). Second, I wanted it to serve as a semi-laptop when we traveled. So I opted for the 13 inch. 

1. To me the weight difference is not significant. Your mileage may vary.

2. Frankly, for sitting at home and having it in my lap, the 11 inch is best, the 13 inch is actually more than needed and sometimes hard for me to look at. Again just my take.

3. All in all, I'm still happy with my purchase. I'm sure I'll get more used to looking at the 13 inch.

I qualify all this by stating that I mainly use my iPad at home in the evening while watching Dodgers baseball games with my wife. I only use Accordance any more for my daily Bible reading because my noggin' is no longer up to serious use. But at least I'm sharing my perspective as someone who faced the same quandry as you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnABarnett said:

But at least I'm sharing my perspective as someone who faced the same quandry as you.

Thank you so much for sharing.

The 13 probably isn't much heaver than the 11, but if you want to take a trip to an Apple Store or Apple Reseller and get your hands on the two, it might be worth it.

I had the 10.5 as well before I downsized to the mini. 

The reason I've stuck with the mini and still haven't bought a larger second iPad is I still need to use a 13" MacBook Air for work (I chose the 13" since it's ultraportable, 15" would have been overkill for me) and not just Accordance, but all my work in general is still at a point where a MacBook Air is going to be much faster at getting it done than on an iPad (I actually did have to work iPad-only on my other job once for two weeks, and while I could do it, it was still clunky).

Since the main thing I do now on my iPad is read a lot of eBooks, do minor web browsing to quickly look stuff up, and briefly read (but not write a lot) of emails, the iPad mini has been perfect for me here. But it's not for everyone.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I had the 10.5 as well before I downsized to the mini. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted (edited)

Im still running the first gen pro and tend to only ever use it in landscape so have a good width of content and not too worried about scrolling to see the lower portion of a page.

(I also format all my scores in sibelius for running on the ipad in foreScore with a bluetooth foot page turner like AirTurn to make it easy for ageing eyes but commercial ones do work as a fall back.)

for me the deciding factor is weight and convenience in hand holding so i would seriously look at how you intend to use it.
Hand or desk top?

portability and use in conferences and how you intend to take notes etc?

and how it fits in with other screens you use on laptops etc.

I like a 15" mbp at a desk so am still happy with the mid size ipad for us while lounging in a stressless or carrying in my man bag!

0583DD0A-1241-41EF-8666-36B33CFF8DC5.png

40D10302-CB3A-4FBA-A49A-606E6E5F9DF2.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I have an 11inch M1 ipad pro and love it. It's not my only device and could never replace my laptop, but tbh it's the device I enjoy using the most. I don't enjoy the process of reading on a laptop, certainly not while curled up on the couch. I did consider the 13inch since reading scientific papers (pdfs with standard page size) was one of my original intended use cases, but I found the larger size ipad just a bit too unwieldy. The 11inch is definitely inferior for that use case, but the size is wonderful for everything else. It's fine as an ereader and is a nice portable size for many other things i do with it (sheet music at church, email/calendars at work as a manager, video streaming and reading the news, etc.) I use the Logitech Combo Touch case- better protection than Apple's keyboard, less expensive, and I really like that the stand remains available to use after detaching the keyboard. I also use the apple pencil with Nebo for taking notes in church, split screen with Accordance on the left and Nebo on the right. I'm very happy with this setup and would buy another 11inch if i had to choose again.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2024 at 12:49 AM, Michel Gilbert said:

“Just” reading the Bible reminds me of a missions conference at Bible college when an elderly missionary, 82 years old someone said, stood there with a worn out Bible in his left hand, holding it with his arm straight, like how you carry books to school. 

I like the old phrase:

'Bibles that are falling apart are read by people who aren't'

i wonder what the next generation of e-readers will come up with to update it?

the font of life?

;o) 

• Like 3

I just replaced my 10.5" Pro with an 11" M4 Pro the second they were available, and I love it.  I went all-in and got the Pencil Pro and the Magic Keyboard.  I have to admit, the changes to the Air made the decision a little hard to justify, but...

1) FaceID on an iPad is as much of a game-changer as it was for the iPhone.  Now I get frustrated waiting for my MacBook Pro to unlock with my Apple Watch.

2) I'm a sucker for the best possible display.  I doubt my eyes can tell the difference, but my brain knows it and that's all it takes.

3) The extra weight savings are minimal, but still noticeably substantial.  it is much more pleasant to hold in the hand than the 10.5" Pro.

I can't compare between an 11" and a 13", as I've never used the larger ones.  from my experience, a larger screen would be nice for productivity and probably watching videos but I think detrimental as an e-reader.  I do almost all of my reading on my iPad, and usually at night after going to bed, and sometimes even the 11" screen feels a bit big (but then again, I'm nearsighted and have the iPad about 12" from my face, so there's that).  If I need a larger screen, I have a 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro to use (which now feels gargantuan after using the iPad).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ukfraser said:

i wonder what the next generation of e-readers will come up with to update it?

eReaders that are falling apart. 🙂

• Haha 1