Please update the CSB. It hasn't been updated in 2 years.

Mark Allison

Posted (edited)

The CSB was last updated in 2022. Since then, Holman has released four sets of updates that Accordance has ignored.

Accordance used to have the most up-to-date Bible texts in the industry. Let's get back to that place. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 7

With a changing Bible software market, these things are important.

• Like 2

All available resources have been diverted to the cloud features.

18 minutes ago, mhanel said:

That only applies to the programmers. The rest of the team is still developing modules, handling tech support, sales, etc. 

I don't understand the lag in updating things, especially the modules that have been requested many times (been waiting 4+ years since Rick said the journals update was coming.) And I don't want to hear anymore that a product is hard to develop. Either sell the products your customers want, or they'll go to another store. It's really that simple. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mhanel said:

Also, making all these updates literally takes less than 30 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'll find out on the CSB what the latest status is. Once I can work on Bible development, I can start knocking these updates out.

On Journals, while I don't have a definitive update yet, I have spoken with the publisher of our most popular journal bundle, and the contact there even gave me his personal number and said he's willing to further discuss with us on updating the collections.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I'll find out on the CSB what the latest status is.

It's really easy to see. 

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 6.26.22 PM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Once I can work on Bible development, I can start knocking these updates out.

Can't wait for that @Dr. Nathan Parker!

But @Mark Allison, why don't you come back to Accordance and help with updates and corrections?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JonathanHuber said:

…been waiting 4+ years since Rick said the journals update was coming…

I was just repeating what I was directly told. 

9 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

But @Mark Allison, why don't you come back to Accordance and help with updates and corrections?

I was one of several Accordance employees who were let go about 2 years ago in a cost-cutting spree. I now lead the eBook development team for Lifeway Christian Resources, and that keeps me pretty busy 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

I was one of several Accordance employees who were let go about 2 years ago in a cost-cutting spree. I now lead the eBook development team for Lifeway Christian Resources, and that keeps me pretty busy 🙂 

Makes me think of the hedge fund investors who buy newspapers and fire reporters to cut costs. Then the poorer reporting leads to fewer subscribers, leading to more firing, and the spiral continues until the paper folds. Pun intended. 

And Rick, I know you’re not to blame, just don’t understand why you were told the journals were coming when they were clearly not coming. Kinda like some other things. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JonathanHuber said:

And Rick, I know you’re not to blame, just don’t understand why you were told the journals were coming when they were clearly not coming. Kinda like some other things. 

The answer to this question is found in your newspaper analogy. 

Posted (edited)

Journals are some of the most difficult projects to work on. The problem is that every journal uses a different format, and even the same journal can change formats from one year to the next. That means a script that works on a single journal might have to be completely re-done for the next year's issue. They're also pretty complex, with a lot of citations, indexes, languages, etc. If I remember correctly, it took David Lang—the most experienced developer at Accordance—more than a year to produce the first set of journals. 

All that to say, if Accordance isn't already working on journal updates, I wouldn't expect anything this year or probably even next. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

All that to say, if Accordance isn't already working on journal updates, I wouldn't expect anything this year or probably even next. 

Or better, if the easier projects (Bible updates) aren't forthcoming, don't count on the more technically difficult. 

But again, the frustration is this, just be honest. Being dishonest is gaslighting. Guess how much stuff users buy when they feel misled?

9 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Journals are some of the most difficult projects to work on. The problem is that every journal uses a different format, and even the same journal can change formats from one year to the next. That means a script that works on a single journal might have to be completely re-done for the next year's issue. They're also pretty complex, with a lot of citations, indexes, languages, etc. If I remember correctly, it took David Lang—the most experienced developer at Accordance—more than a year to produce the first set of journals. 

This is true. I have spoken with a journal publisher, and he said he could see if there's any way to adjust the formatting to make it easier/more consistent for it to work with scrips when those formatting changes are encountered, although I guess one would have to look at it on a journal-by-journal basis.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 12:03 PM, Mark Allison said:

The CSB was last updated in 2022. Since then, Holman has released four sets of updates that Accordance has ignored.

Accordance used to have the most up-to-date Bible texts in the industry. Let's get back to that place. 

Where can I see a list of these updates? I preach from the CSB.

13 minutes ago, Dustin Battles said:

Where can I see a list of these updates? I preach from the CSB.

On the CSB website there is a page about the 2020 update with links to documents including one that lists all the changes.

https://csbible.com/2020updates/

I didn't find anything about 2022 updates, though.

Edited by ChrisN
add quote