Best photo and vector graphic editor for the Apple M chip series?

Brian K. Mitchell

QUESTION: What is or what are the best photo and vector graphic editors for the Apple M chip series? and why?

Best is very dependent on the specific needs of the user and task. ;) I am interested in features similar to Adobe products, but without a subscription rent model. The Serif Affinity products do what I am interested in doing on multiple platforms for a traditional purchase ownership. The price is very reasonable (often with discounts), especially the option to purchase a single license that covers all of the Affinity products on any platform the tools work on. The current Version 2 license will cover all future updates to version 2 as long as it is supported. It is very similar to the way Accordance versions work. And yes, it works very well on Apple M chip  machines. 

—Joseph the Affinity enthusiast 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Solly said:

Best is very dependent on the specific needs of the user and task. ;) I am interested in features similar to Adobe products, but without a subscription rent model. The Serif Affinity products do what I am interested in doing on multiple platforms for a traditional purchase ownership. The price is very reasonable (often with discounts), especially the option to purchase a single license that covers all of the Affinity products on any platform the tools work on. The current Version 2 license will cover all future updates to version 2 as long as it is supported. It is very similar to the way Accordance versions work. And yes, it works very well on Apple M chip  machines. 

—Joseph the Affinity enthusiast 

Another vote here for Affinity for the same reasons

• Thanks 1

I have used both Affinity and Adobe programs. While Affinity has its limitations, Adobe has too many issues outside of the function of their software for me to keep using them. Affinity does 99% of what I need the software to do, and doesn't come with the high subscription fees and problematic business practices.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

QUESTION: What is or what are the best photo and vector graphic editors for the Apple M chip series? and why?

If you have to ask that question, Affinity is definitely the best for your needs. Adobe products are awesome, but most people don't need them.

• Thanks 1

So far everyone has unanimously endorsed Affinity! So, that must be the way to go!

@Mark Allison , @Sean Nelson , @Jordan Gowing , and @Solly thank you so much for sharing your advice!

Okay, I have more question... 

QUESTION TWO: In your opinion how does Affinity compare to Pixelmator Pro?

thank you in advance!

I've tried multiple apps. Here's a rundown:

• Affinity Photo: Closest thing to Photoshop, without the subscription
  • Adobe Photoshop Elements: Decent photo editor if you want something from Adobe without a subscription
  • GIMP: Free, but clunky
  • Pixelmator Pro: A little easier to use than Affinity Photo for graphics editing, but not quite as flexible as Affinity Photo if you're a Photoshop nerd. Still a good app and one I use for quick editing projects.
  • Photomator: Decent replacement to Aperture and Lightroom, although I still sorely miss Aperture
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

GIMP: Free, but clunky

@Dr. Nathan Parker I am familiar with GIMP! When I was a Windows user I used GIMP and PAINT.NET a bit. I also used NX Studio or whatever software that came with my DSLR.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Affinity Photo: Closest thing to Photoshop, without the subscription

I have heard of Photoshop however I don't have any experience with the program.

BUT Affinity does seem to be popular with Accordance users so I am thinking of giving Affinity a try.

39 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Pixelmator Pro: A little easier to use than Affinity Photo for graphics editing, but not quite as flexible as Affinity Photo if you're a Photoshop nerd.

Never used Photoshop, but I am curious in what way is Pixelmator not as flexible?

Finally got t use my Canon 7D DSLR when I was away. Enjoyed it.

Affinity is truly meant to be a Photoshop contender without the subscription. It's clear from Affinity's website, from the layout of the apps themselves, and how much progress they've made with PSD importing that Affinity wants to be the choice for people who want "as close to Photoshop without the subscription" as possible.

Pixelmator Pro, on the other hand, isn't perfect with PSD files, and has a different UI than Affinity, but it's meant to be the "easiest to use, fully Mac-native experience" editor. Since it's Mac-only, it takes full advantage of all of Apple's OS technologies, has great AI and ML capabilities, and is super easy to use and a breeze to whip through quick editing. Affinity is cross-platform, so you can use it on Windows or Mac, but then again they build for cross-platform compatibility, not necessarily for trying Mac-only technologies.

For the Photoshop nerd who needs the best PSD import or who is familiar with Photoshop's workflow, you want Affinity hands-down. For the Mac-only user who wants something quick and easy to use and wants an app that's going to take advantage of all the nee Mac-only technologies, you want Pixelmator Pro.

For someone who wants the best of both worlds, you can always buy both. :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dr. Nathan Parker thank you very much for your very helpful post!

On 7/1/2024 at 4:48 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

For the Mac-only user who wants something quick and easy to use and wants an app that's going to take advantage of all the nee Mac-only technologies, you want Pixelmator Pro.

Okay, then! The above sounds a whole lot more like me than than the following...

For the Photoshop nerd who needs the best PSD import or who is familiar with Photoshop's workflow, you want Affinity hands-down.

I am only familiar with the name Photoshop and as I have never used it I do not happen to have any PSD files at all.

For someone who wants the best of both worlds, you can always buy both. 🙂

Since, affinity doesn't cost very much I may end up getting it later, but for now I have decided on Pxelmator Pro.

As always thank you very much!

Just a heads up for anyone who is interested. The Affinity products are on sale now for 50%. I just got the email.

The entire suite is $82.99 USD. That is a good deal if you would like to have all three programs.

• Thanks 1

I realize everyone has their own needs and I have used Photoshop prior to it going subscription based. When it did I purchased Pixelmator and liked it but it was obviously not as powerful. When Pixelmator Pro came out I bought it and could not be happier.

Example: When making slides of visiting speakers I can take their photo, use "Remove Background" and it does so quickly and efficiently. Save as PNG file and it works great to place on slides for Powerpoint or Keynote with our church photo in the background. 

Something that has not been discussed is the ability to make styled text. Yes, I know that some can do awesome things with Photoshop, but ArtText is again very simple, comes with numerous templates. I could not imagine being without Pixelmator Pro and ArtText. 

https://text.design/art-text/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony Lawrence said:

Example: When making slides of visiting speakers I can take their photo, use "Remove Background" and it does so quickly and efficiently. Save as PNG file and it works great to place on slides for Powerpoint or Keynote with our church photo in the background. 

I also use Pixelmator Pro for this. It is superior to the Remove Background feature built into macOS.

• Like 1

I just received an email from the makers of Affinity software announcing a new, no  obligation, six month trial period for their products. If you are still pondering tools to use for raster, vector, or page design projects, it may be worth your time to evaluate the Affinity lineup. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/trial/

--Joseph 

• Thanks 1

Affinity Publisher, Designer, Photo are excellent. Highly recommend. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2024 at 3:24 AM, Tony Lawrence said:

When Pixelmator Pro came out I bought it and could not be happier.

@Tony Lawrence thanks for sharing!

I went ahead and got Pixelmator pro and I feel the same way!

It works seemlessly with my Mac and it's GUI is so intuitive I was able to start using right away without having to read any instructions or use any tutorials.

However, In the future I may also get Affinity Photo if I out-grow Pixelmator Pro or if Affinity does that Pixelmator can't do that I really need or want. Right, now it seems like Affinity is having a 50% off sale and that is tempting.

Good choice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Good choice

@Dr. Nathan Parker thank you and everyone else who has shared their advice and opinions on this thread!