more frequent autosaved sessions

Kristin

Because of some weather issues the power has been going out a lot and I frequently need to open the last autosaved session of Accordance.

I really appreciate the autosaved history, however, the autosaved history sometimes is not recent enough, sometimes going back 15 minutes. If I am working on something important is there a way for me to force an autosaved session?

I get that I can manually save workspaces, etc, but I just mean something super quick to force the autosave. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Kristin

Hi @Kristin. According to the help system, the autosave feature does not appear to be configurable beyond the default of generating an autosave session every 5 minutes and retaining a maximum of 50 sessions.

If that's truly the case, the only way I can think of that you could extend the autosave history past the ~4 hours you'd get if using Accordance continuously is to employ some kind of automation (e.g., a script, backup software, etc.) to periodically (at least every 5 minutes) copy the oldest autosave session to a different location before it gets deleted by Accordance. I'm not sure where the autosave sessions are stored on macOS, but on Windows, they're in the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\Accordance\Caches\Autosaved Sessions (where %LOCALAPPDATA% usually looks something like C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local).

If you wish to force a save for a specific point in a project, the Save Session option under the file menu will allow one to save the work immediately with a user defined name. If you continue to work and need to do a hard save again, the defined name will be remembered (but one may also change it before saving.)

This is how I worked with most tools in the good ol' days before autosave functions were available and computer crashes were much more common. Old habits extinguish slowly. ;) I would often save after each sentence in those days—oh my! You could create a different defined keyboard shortcut if you don't like the the current Cmd-s shortcut.

—Joseph remembering EMACS Ctrl-x s and Wordstar Ctrl-k s

6 hours ago, Steven S said:

If that's truly the case, the only way I can think of that you could extend the autosave history past the ~4 hours you'd get if using Accordance continuously is to employ some kind of automation (e.g., a script, backup software, etc.)

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the idea. To be honest, I have never done an automation, I know Mac has that capability, but since I don't know what I'm doing I get spooked of messing something up. I don't think it matters, but just FYI, I don't really need the autosave to go back further than 4 hours, but more frequently. Like autosaving every minute is what I would set it for if that was possible. I think with everything considered, just doing a Mac TimeMachine multiple times a day is the best option, I guess.

5 hours ago, Solly said:

If you wish to force a save for a specific point in a project, the Save Session option under the file menu will allow one to save the work immediately with a user defined name. If you continue to work and need to do a hard save again, the defined name will be remembered (but one may also change it before saving.)

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the idea, and I actually do have a lot of saved workspaces because of this. The fundamental  issue is that I often have multiple workspaces open (20 or so) and they all have multiple tabs. There are always at least 10 or so open, but during a difficult project I tend have these extra workspaces open, all of which are only there for a few minutes. It is thus not practical to be saving workspaces for all of them since there are so many and the saving process is sort of time consuming. So I do save workspaces for specific projects, but for these multiple little transient workspaces, it isn't practical to name them all every two minutes.

Thank you both for the comments, and I hope Accordance can give the user the ability to do more frequent autosaves.

• Like 1

I'll have to look into this and see if this is due to the operating system or something on Accordance's side. I'm not 100% sure, but I can do some digging.