Revised Word Biblical Commentary (WBC) Volumes?

Matt Quintana

In light of the recently released 2nd edition of the volume on 1–2 Thessalonians, I was looking through the current volumes in the WBC module and discovered something odd: while some of the volumes in the Accordance module purport to be the 2nd or revised edition of the particular commentary (according to both the embedded image of the book's front cover and also the copyright data at the start of the volume), the content of the volume is actually the first or original edition! It was quite surprising to me that this discrepancy existed, but I have to conclude this was unintentional given that several of the other revised volumes have indeed been incorporated. Here is a list of the volumes that should be updated but which, at present, are not included in the Accordance WBC module:

• 1 Samuel by Ralph W. Klein (1st ed. released in 1983, 2nd ed. in 2000)
  • 1 Kings by Simon J. DeVries (1st ed. released in 1985, 2nd ed. in 2003)
  • 1, 2, 3 John by Stephen S. Smalley (1st ed. released in 1993, 2nd ed. in 2009)

Additionally, I noticed another issue with one of the volumes: the work on Psalm 101–150 by Leslie C. Allen is indeed the revised edition of 2002, but for some reason, the Accordance version is missing the entirety of the front matter (preface, abbreviations, bibliography) and the introduction to the commentary. The table of contents and structure of the module also differs from that of the physical book.

Also, I should add that the revised edition of Daniel by John Goldingay (published in 2019) has not been incorporated into Accordance yet. Perhaps this was an oversight when the new volume on 1–2 Thessalonians was being acquired.

Regardless of the reason for these missing updated volumes, I would love to see the latest editions added to Accordance!

• Like 1

I'll get this filed. Thanks for reporting it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for producing the 2nd Editions of, from the years

• 1 Samuel by Ralph W. Klein, 2000
  • 1 Kings by Simon J. DeVries, 2003
  • 1, 2, 3 John by Stephen S. Smalley, 2009

Under Accordance I haven't bought any WBC set, but instead only individual volume purchases. It happens that I quite a while ago bought those namely 1 Samuel and 1 Kings and 1, 2, 3 John so clearly I'm interested in these and like you say they were listed in the storefront as being 2nd Editions - I happen to distinctly remember that from the occasions when I made the purchases, because my intent back then was to buy some of the WBC of which there are 2nd Editions. (I also have a few other WBC volumes under Accordance but which are in the software the most recent contents, or aren't revised/2nd Editions.) The 1 Samuel volume I bought on 02/05/2019, the other two of those volumes earlier than that some time:

On 6/8/2024 at 2:35 AM, Matt Quintana said:

[...] discovered something odd: while some of the volumes in the Accordance module purport to be the 2nd or revised edition of the particular commentary (according to both the embedded image of the book's front cover and also the copyright data at the start of the volume), the content of the volume is actually the first or original edition! [...] Here is a list of the volumes that should be updated but which, at present, are not included in the Accordance WBC module:

• 1 Samuel by Ralph W. Klein (1st ed. released in 1983, 2nd ed. in 2000)
  • 1 Kings by Simon J. DeVries (1st ed. released in 1985, 2nd ed. in 2003)
  • 1, 2, 3 John by Stephen S. Smalley (1st ed. released in 1993, 2nd ed. in 2009)

[...]

Regardless of the reason for these missing updated volumes, I would love to see the latest editions added to Accordance!