Bible Translations in World Languages

rheller2000

First, apologies if this has been suggested or discussed elsewhere. Searching on "world" and "languages" and "translations" on the Accordance site produced hundreds of hits, but did not produce any hits for my particular question/suggestion.

I was among those who used the competition (BW) for many, many years not only because I was accustomed to the format and applications, but also because it had very, very many different biblical translations in languages besides the usual suspects. I need, sometimes, to produce passages in, say, Romanian or Turkish or Czech or Japanese or Swahili. With BW, not only were many languages represented, but multiple translations of each language were often included! Does Accordance have a "world language pack" for languages... besides the standard seven for which it has language localization (Korean, German, English, Spanish, French, Português (Brasil), and Chinese (Simplified))?

The selection of non-English Bibles in Accordance, in my view, will not come close to what was available in BibleWorks. But others can chime in.

There have been many, many, many requests on these forums for more Bibles in other languages, but it feels like the response was pretty tepid. One user in particular, Fabian, kept the requests flowing. You can search up his posts to see what was requested.

I assume someone from Accordance contacted (former) BW people to get publisher contacts and other information. If BW could do it, why can't Accordance?

A.D.

• Like 1

I'm being trained on Bible development, and hopefully coming up (as soon as I finish learning a few scripts), I can jump in and start working on some Bible projects.

I've collected some of the Foreign Language Bibles from the forums and am putting them in a running list for me to look at.

If there are others that haven't been mentioned on the forums, definitely let me know. 

Particularly I'd be interested in knowing which were the most widely-used in BW that we don't have yet so we could close some gaps there.

Also, I'm a member of and have a good relationship with Trinitarian Bible Society, so I plan to chat with them and see what I could develop from them.

As long as it's for personal use, remember that BibleWorks has an export Bible feature. (Tools > Importing/Exporting Information > Export Database)

Choose to export as TXT.

Once you have the text file, you may need to do some search / replace to get Bible book names that Accordance wants, but otherwise the formatting is pretty clean and ready to import into Accordance. File > User Files > Import Bible Text.

Really works quite well without too much extra work.

image.png.40040460d7fad63bd15b290a4f452ff5.png

• Like 1

@mgvh Thanks for that!

Also moved this to Module Requests so we can better track it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Also, I'm a member of and have a good relationship with Trinitarian Bible Society, so I plan to chat with them and see what I could develop from them.

@Dr. Nathan Parker

Well, then I wonder if Accordance can acquire digital editions of TBS'  

(1) Ginsburg edition of the Bomberg/ben Chayyim Masoretic Tanakh included in (ISBN:9781862281172) & (ISBN:9781862281165)

(2) Paul's epistles to the Romans and Galatians. Revised Delitzsch version. (ISBN: 9781862285026)

• Like 1

We can look into them. #1 is still in the process of being digitized and have clearer font from TBS (I read their latest report on it), so we may need to wait until they finish that. There's another digital source for that Tanakh that I could reach out to, but looking at TBS' report, it'd be worth waiting for theirs.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

We can look into them. #1 is still in the process of being digitized and have clearer font from TBS (I read their latest report on it), so we may need to wait until they finish that. There's another digital source for that Tanakh that I could reach out to, but looking at TBS' report, it'd be worth waiting for theirs.

Thank you @Dr. Nathan Parker for the quick response! I had no idea TBS was already in the process of digitalizing their Tanakh this is great news and would be a nice addition to Accordance! 

Their printed Quarterly Record and Email Newsletter is worth getting if you're not on them already. Lots of great updates from them on their Bible translation and digitization project fronts. I read them frequently.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2024 at 5:48 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I can't wait for Ginsburg's Ben Chayim text to come into Accordance!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

I can't wait for Ginsburg's Ben Chayim text to come into Accordance!

I'd heavily use it myself. I have the print edition, but the text is difficult to read. I've enjoyed keeping up with their digitization project. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2024 at 4:48 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

#1 is still in the process of being digitized and have clearer font from TBS (I read their latest report on it),

Is this what you are referring to:

Digital Hebrew Masoretic Text

16 August 2022  

Our editorial consultant in Israel continues to correct mistakes in the digital Hebrew text obtained in 2015 and to make the consonantal corrections needed to match it to our published Ginsburg text. Regrettably the digital text which we had was not as error free as we had hoped and so this painstaking work is taking longer than planned. However, we have been able to upload one book on our beta online Bible for testing purposes. The finished work is due to include the qere and ketiv footnotes which provide helpful marginal assistance to the biblical Hebrew reader. Once this work is complete, it will enable us to produce a new setting of the printed Hebrew Old Testament text as the current image is becoming rather worn.

'Brethren, pray for us.' (1 Thessalonians 5.25)

https://www.tbsbibles.org/news/614221/Digital-Hebrew-Masoretic-Text.htm

Yep.

Accordance has lost some of its German bibles over time; among them the important Einheitsübersetzung, and its revision never made it into accordance. 

As I am teaching at an Austrian university this means that I cannot recommend Accordance to my students. That is something I regret very much since I like the workflow in Accordance, and some of the texts are much more reliably tagged (Apocryphal Gospels in Greek) than in the competing universe. Still, their aggressive push into German bibles and resources makes them take over the German market without competition.

BR

German Bibles are areas I'd like to work on when I start Bible development. Definitely list the ones you'd use the most.

Also, on the Trinitarian Bible Society content, in addition to their Hebrew text, I'm curious which of their foreign language Bibles would be the most useful to consider first.

I'm also curious as to which foreign Bibles in BibleWorks BW users used the most that would fill in content gaps from BW.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems as if my initial question has raised a lot of interest... but only about very specific types of texts/translations... not about the development of a "World Languages/Translations" pack that includes something similar to what BW included in its base version. I imagined that, when BW went under, Accordance would have tried to accommodate the various aspects that BW had that Accordance did not have, including the extensive world translations. I suppose it was too complex or was not used by most people (besides me). I shall continue using my old version of BW for that resource. Thanks for the lively discussion.

13 hours ago, rheller2000 said:

the development of a "World Languages/Translations" pack that includes something similar to what BW included in its base version. I imagined that...

@rheller2000 thank you for posting here again and clarifying the topic you wanted this thread to focus on. In the future rather than imagining or assuming it is probably a lot more helpful to ask frequently and elaborate. Remember not everyone here has used BibleWorks so it may be hard for them to imagine the 'translation pack' that you have in mind. 

Let's continue this discussion...

On 6/12/2024 at 2:47 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

German Bibles are areas I'd like to work on when I start Bible development. Definitely list the ones you'd use the most.

The most widely used translation is the revised Deutsche Einheitsübersetzung. The original Einheitsübersetzung was available at some point, and I still have that in my downloads, but it was removed at some point from sales. The revision never made it into Accordance. As I understood from conversations with Helen Brown some years ago, there was some disagreement with the publisher who wanted to concentrate on Logos. But I could be wrong, the Lutherbibel from the same publisher is available in Accordance.

In any case, these German bibles are available with the competition and tagged as interlinears there, a definite advantage in my teaching. And they have not only texts available but also lots of resources like commentaries and lexica (Bauer!), as well as the Siebenthal morphological analyses. That makes them much more competitive in the German market.

Edited by Boris Repschinski

Once I start working on some Bible projects, maybe we can bundle some of them in such a pack. Continue to keep the discussions going. This feedback is super useful.