Book Abbreviations

Kevin Sanders

I am trying to create a link in a User Note to a passage in Psalms of Solomon.  I have been unable to find a way to make Accordance recognize the reference.  I am creating a resource link.  I have tried both the book name and the abbreviated name listed in "List all book names" from the Display menu -- Sol. and PsSalomon for NETS, Ps_Sol. and Ps_solomon for Evans Pseudepigrapha.  Nothing I've tried gets me to the verse.  I just get the enclosed error message.  I'm using Accordance 14.0.9.  

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 9.31.36 PM.png

Hi @Kevin Sanders,
I'm sorry that I can't say anything more helpful, but this is somewhat of a known issue with extrabiblical books. For example, Eph is used for the NT Eph, but also for Ignatius' Eph, and so hyperlinks don't work right. So I assume what it wants is for you to use Song, but that would of course link to the biblical Songs. 

Hopefully someone else will be able to post with a more helpful answer.

Kristin

I don't really use this, but it would seem going forward that it would be helpful if the user would be able to create a custom abbreviation for any book. As an extra field this could be attached to the Accordance book in such a way that Accordance can identify the intended book for it's own internal purposes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnABarnett said:

I don't really use this, but it would seem going forward that it would be helpful if the user would be able to create a custom abbreviation for any book. As an extra field this could be attached to the Accordance book in such a way that Accordance can identify the intended book for it's own internal purposes.

This has been brought up multiple times. BibleWorks allowed you to personalize book names and reference systems (e.g., Jn 3,16). I would love to see this.

• Like 2

Kevin:

How are you setting up the resource link?  If I set it up as follows, it works for me (even though I misspelled Solomon in the Display section!):

image.png.2912589daf5a74ef710c0b1ece4a841b.png

I can even change the resource to the LXX, keep everything the same and it works. 

If these settings don't work for you, please note whether ou are using an intel or M-chip Mac, and what operating system.  This is working for me in Ventura on an Intel Mac.  

Lorinda,

Thank you, your reply was helpful, though not in a straightforward way.  

I changed my resource link to give the reference in the search field in the same format as yours ... and it still didn't work!  But clicking the link didn't give me an error message, it displayed the text for the next link that I had created in my User Note.  I then edited the Resource Link again and used the "Remove Link" button to remove the link.  Then I recreated the link, and it worked!  I also was able to get a link to the Evans Pseudepigrapha to work using the abbreviation Ps_Sol to reference the Psalms of Solomon.  I conclude that something had become corrupted in the link (something I could not see in note editor), and that removing the link and recreating it fixed the problem.  The problem may never have been with the book name I was using in the search field, so not a "Book Abbreviation" problem after all!

Again, thank you for your helpful response.