Clarifying the Manuscript Sources of the Targumim Modules

Kyle Young

While working on my dissertation, I began with a simple question: what is the source of the targumim for Accordance Bible Software and Logos Bible Software? What manuscripts were used for producing them and what relationship do they have with Sperber's editions? Once one does a little digging in files in Accordance and Logos files, it becomes apparent that the texts came from Menaḥem Cohen's Miqraʾot Gedolot haKeter (MG Keter). At least Logos' edition was further mediated through CAL (the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon), though this is not explicitly so in the case of Accordance. However, what one would call "the best manuscripts" (as is often but allusively said about the mss of MG Keter, typically with the further specification that the mss are Yemenite) is a debatable matter.

The challenge with Accordance punting the question back to MG Keter is that most users don't know any Modern Hebrew. Even if they do (as in my case), accessing the volumes is likely not going to be simple unless they live in Israel or a major global academic center. Having contacted esteemed persons at both CAL and Bar-Ilan University (the hub of MG Keter), someone kindly (eventually) directed me to the introduction in the first volume of MG Keter, which they have made freely available online (https://www.mgketer.org/articles/mevoot). Regrettably, it only specifies the manuscripts that were used in TgJ to the Former Prophets, and even then it leaves questions open (e.g., whether texts were taken directly from Sperber or if the relevant manuscripts were read afresh). The introduction specifies that further details about the other portions of the Tanakh will be specified in a later volume. Without purchasing the volumes one-by-one, there's no way to know where to look for that information. As it is currently the season of biblical holidays in Israel, I am still awaiting help for where to look next.

Accordance shouldn't have to speak for CAL or Logos, so let me put the question to Accordance. Why is it that answering this question about the manuscript basis of the purchased edition is so hard to come by? If this is for academic purposes, then greater transparency is imperative. If anyone can answer all my questions, I'll do my best to send you a package of your favourite cookies, should you be so pleased to accept snacks from a stranger.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:44 AM, Kyle Young said:

While working on my dissertation, I began with a simple question: what is the source of the targumim for Accordance Bible Software and Logos Bible Software? What manuscripts were used for producing them and what relationship do they have with Sperber's editions? Once one does a little digging in files in Accordance and Logos files, it becomes apparent that the texts came from Menaḥem Cohen's Miqraʾot Gedolot haKeter (MG Keter). At least Logos' edition was further mediated through CAL (the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon), though this is not explicitly so in the case of Accordance. However, what one would call "the best manuscripts" (as is often but allusively said about the mss of MG Keter, typically with the further specification that the mss are Yemenite) is a debatable matter.

The challenge with Accordance punting the question back to MG Keter is that most users don't know any Modern Hebrew. Even if they do (as in my case), accessing the volumes is likely not going to be simple unless they live in Israel or a major global academic center. Having contacted esteemed persons at both CAL and Bar-Ilan University (the hub of MG Keter), someone kindly (eventually) directed me to the introduction in the first volume of MG Keter, which they have made freely available online (https://www.mgketer.org/articles/mevoot). Regrettably, it only specifies the manuscripts that were used in TgJ to the Former Prophets, and even then it leaves questions open (e.g., whether texts were taken directly from Sperber or if the relevant manuscripts were read afresh). The introduction specifies that further details about the other portions of the Tanakh will be specified in a later volume. Without purchasing the volumes one-by-one, there's no way to know where to look for that information. As it is currently the season of biblical holidays in Israel, I am still awaiting help for where to look next.

Accordance shouldn't have to speak for CAL or Logos, so let me put the question to Accordance. Why is it that answering this question about the manuscript basis of the purchased edition is so hard to come by? If this is for academic purposes, then greater transparency is imperative. If anyone can answer all my questions, I'll do my best to send you a package of your favourite cookies, should you be so pleased to accept snacks from a stranger.

Have you tried the Read Mes for the Targum modules? They can be accessed with the menus of the desktop programs (Help > Read Mes) or in the "Read Me-Modules" module on any platform where this resource is installed. There it says they got the files from CAL and has an e-mail address for further questions.

16 hours ago, jlm said:

Have you tried the Read Mes for the Targum modules? They can be accessed with the menus of the desktop programs (Help > Read Mes) or in the "Read Me-Modules" module on any platform where this resource is installed. There it says they got the files from CAL and has an e-mail address for further questions.

@jlm Thanks for the reply. I had read the Readme file for the module, although I didn't follow up with Prof. Cook as per the invitation there. If this forum doesn't solve our problem, I intend to reach out to him directly at some point.

I have forwarded this on for someone to review and hopefully chime in with additional info.

On 10/2/2023 at 3:04 PM, Nathan Parker said:

I have forwarded this on for someone to review and hopefully chime in with additional info.

@Nathan Parker Many thanks!