Remove intervening period in Greek Construct Search?

Brian Phillips

I'm following an older video tutorial on Greek Construct searches. Around the 7:47 mark, Dr. J is constructing the search to remove a period between the search terms in the results. When I try it, it doesn't work. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or differently?

Dr J's video is here. He entered all punctuations in the char input (. , ; ). I tried that, but in the pic below, I just have the period. Neither way worked.

Screenshot of Dr. J's set up:

image.thumb.png.288ea344aa885139a552c6d4c075a005.png

My attempt:

image.thumb.png.ce08bf39ab146b3b9d49987de78334e5.png

@Brian Phillips your not alone in this.  I too came up with the same results as you, following along with Dr. J's video.  Maybe someone else can chime in with a work around or some other solution.  I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.

GreekConstruct.thumb.png.f3e6e9c6e232f1c3a205b5220ea4b204.png

• Like 1

I can confirm this same behavior (bug) in 13.3.3 macOS. The evidence for the bug in this search is also evidenced by the syntax tree. You can, for the time being, use an alternate version of the intended search. I used (but did not compare with results of): 

image.png.78b13bf493d9bbc0846e039997ea1808.png

The logic is that building the search constrained at the phrase level naturally omits a period. However, this also surfaced another bug as there was a hit in Eph 4.18, "ὄντες, ἀπηλλοτριωμένοι" (note the intervening comma character [which, btw, could not be negated in the construct search]). This is also confirmed as a bug by the syntax tree.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll report this.