Ugh - crashes not fixed in the 14.0.6.0

Cnthetford

I can try testing that on my Windows machine. I recommend going ahead and emailing Tech Support again with the info you just mentioned above. I'll flag your ticket so we can look at a screen sharing session for you.

Just did the same sequence again, this time without highlighting any NT text before opening the second workspace, and program crashed and produced a crash log:

Accordance Crash Log
Crashed at: 17:15:52:24 On: 22 of Jul, 2023  Eastern Daylight Time

Accordance 14.0.6 (14.0.6.0)
Windows 10 (10.0.22621)
RAM: 23779MB free of 32450MB total
Disc: 1666GB free of 1906GB total

Range check error
Address:   $0043DF63

Backtrace: 
  $0043DF63
  $00702FE6
  $0085A0D2
  $009F58D3
  $00A43C1C
  $009127CC
  $00912611
  $00914E49
  $004E177B
  $00915318
  $004E18E0
  $009057CC
  $007B4E95
  $007B4BAC
  $007B4806
  $007B2B0B
  $004E3570

Did it again, a fourth time, no crash log. Did it a fifth time, identical crash log.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misulejoha said:

@robrecht, just curious what version of Windows are you running?

Windows 11, despite what the Accordance crash log says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

I can try testing that on my Windows machine. I recommend going ahead and emailing Tech Support again with the info you just mentioned above. I'll flag your ticket so we can look at a screen sharing session for you.

They will just say it's a corrupt workspace. But that just begs the larger question: why do Accordance workspaces become corrupt so frequently?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, robrecht said:

Windows 11, despite what the Accordance crash log says.

Hmm.. I too am using Windows 11.  I tried to mirror the steps you described in your post but couldn't get Accordance to crash.  If it turns out that you have a corruped workspace, I would also ask why Accordance work spaces become corrupted so often?

It's definitely a corrupted workspace, which does seem to happen a lot. I do have some very complicated workspaces, so perhaps that is part of the problem. This particular one has several linked tabs, each comparing the Masoretic text to the Qumran biblical texts, to the LXX, to the Targums, and to the Peshitta. It will be a pain to recreate.

• Like 1

Just rebuilt the whole complicated workspace and it too is constantly crashing. Too complicated of a workspace? It used to be OK.

Rebuilt the Jewish scriptures workspace (MT LXX DSS Targums Peshitta in linked scrolling tab ties) for a second time today, this time from scratch, and it crashed too. Second time I opened it, however, it didn't crash right away. How long before it becomes corrupt?

If you're rebuilding the workspaces and it still crashes, then it's deeper than a corrupted workspace. Definitely feel free to email back in and link to this thread. I'll flag it for Support and see what other troubleshooting we can do for you since rebuilding workspaces isn't working.

11 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

If you're rebuilding the workspaces and it still crashes, then it's deeper than a corrupted workspace. ...

I really have two more basic questions. Are some workspaces just too complex? For example, five or six linked tabs with scrolling tab ties. Is it possible to build a workspace that is so complex that it can't be stable? And, if that's not an issue, why do Accordance workspaces become corrupt so often?

I've built some complex workspaces and not had those issues and even moved them between PC and Mac, so I think something is definitely going on we need to troubleshoot. We definitely need to see why the corruption is occurring.

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2023 at 7:52 PM, robrecht said:

Rebuilt the Jewish scriptures workspace (MT LXX DSS Targums Peshitta in linked scrolling tab ties) for a second time today, this time from scratch, and it crashed too. Second time I opened it, however, it didn't crash right away. How long before it becomes corrupt?

This complex workspace, rebuilt from scratch has continued to freeze up and crash randomly, usually without a crash report, but today it did give me a crash report. I had noticed that the Hebrew and JPS English texts were not aligned. English words would highlight the wrong words in Hebrew and vice-versa. So I removed the Hebrew text and tried to put it in again and that is when the crash occurred. Here is the crash report:

2023-10-15 12:18:50

Accordance has encountered an unhandled exception.
The information in this file may help us fix this problem for a future version.

You can report this error by posting this file on our forums at:
https://forums.accordancebible.com/forum/81-bug-swatters-windows/
Or emailing it to support@accordancebible.com
We hope to implement automatic error reporting soon.

Accordance 14.0.8 (14.0.8.0)
Windows 10 (10.0.22621)
RAM: 19026MB free of 32450MB total
Disc: 1617GB free of 1906GB total

Exception Description:
  EOutOfMemory: Out of memory
Exception Thread: 
  35068: UpdateAllInfo  
Exception Backtrace: 
  $00412E61
  $0041319D
  $00446DA3
  $007082F6
  $00860380
  $0086053A
  $00956E48
  $0095692D
  $00955DA4
  $00955B03
  $00433A0D
  $00405ACF
  $75397BA9
  $7737BD3B
  $7737BCBF

The crash report doesn't make much sense to me. It says it ran out of memory but it also shows plenty of RAM and Disc memory still free.

Thanks for this. Logging this one as well.

@robrecht

Some say that a shutdown on Win 11 is more like a hibernate to help with a faster power-on process, whereas a restart (counterintuitively) cleans things up more thoroughly.

I've also found that Windows Update can interfere with apps.

There have also been issues with the font or characters used in Accordance modules, and the modules themselves as well as the Accordance installer can be corrupt.

Consider trying:

1. Apply all Windows Updates pending, then pause updates while you do the following (check with your IT department first).

2. Do a restart (not shutdown + power up). Check if Accordance is now more stable.

If Accordance still crashes a lot, it might be a corrupted installer or corrupted data files. To try to fix both, consider:

3. Backup your data files.

4. Uninstall Accordance.

5. Download the Accordance installer using a different browser (different from the browser you used the last time you downloaded the installer).

6. Reload Accordance modules using Easy Install.

7. Check whether Accordance is now more stable. If not, repeat from step 5 with yet another browser.

8. If so, replace the data files with your backed up data files and check again whether Accordance is still stable.

If Accordance is more stable at step 7 and less stable at step 8, it's likely to be corrupted data files.