Question about the Syriac NT Peshitta

Steve Carruth

A customer is asking about the symbol “o” which appears in various places in the morphologically tagged Syriac NT Peshitta.  Can anyone explain the significance of this symbol?

When checking the Read-Me information for the PESHNT-T, I see a similar symbol, but the symbol there has an additional accent above it which adds some uncertainty about whether it is the identical symbol.  Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 10.18.22 AM.png

In the characters palette, the list of characters seems to be saying it's a damaged letter. (I am not sure - just interpreting the palette)

Screenshot2023-06-27at17_31_26.png.8c80fc2fa081de5c50b4ec952f37b827.png

The symbol next to it means uncertain letter

Screenshot2023-06-27at17_31_36.png.d6148da7aba45d2da5cbaa386a3c4b2b.png

Edited by Ken Simpson

I wish someone would explain the missing vowels, too. It's this way throughout the text.

Hi Daniel, can you give an example please? I'm no expert but seeing what you are talking about helps everyone.

In Hebrew, there's a vowel near each letter except the last one in a word (with some exceptions), but I guess it's just different in Aramaic. ?? Looking at the Peshitta sample in the top post above, you can see letters without a vowel. Look at the first lamed. I would guess that a sheva should be below it, based on its context. But in fact, there are no shevas at all in this module.

And I have other questions on this. Is there a resource on Aramaic/Syriac vowel pointing and other markings? Stevenson's Aramaic Grammar doesn't answer these questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

Thanks for having a look at this for me!

I gave your explanation to the customer.  He is now asking me to ask whoever it was that did the development on this text to see if they have further information about that symbol “o”.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 5:24 AM, Steve Carruth said:

Ken,

I gave your explanation to the customer.  He is now asking me to ask whoever it was that did the development on this text to see if they have further information about that symbol “o”.

No problem. That question I can't answer for you. Sorry.

On 7/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, Steve Carruth said:

Ken,

This is tlisha. It’s for chanting scripture. Makes it easier to learn. If you do not know Hebrew and are just studying the text ignore it. It’s not a vowel or anything that is going to change to the meaning of a word or how you study the text. Straight from a lady from Jerusalem. @Steve Carruth

Here is a video.

Edited by ReformedDoc
  • Like 1