THGNT Paragraph (Loss of) Formatting

darrylmy

I'm not sure when this occurred, but the Tyndale House Greek New Testament no longer uses ekthesis for the paragraph breaks. I'm using version 1.6 of the text.

Can anyone else confirm this?

• Like 1

Just curious - what is an ekthesis in this context?

I'm familiar with the pilcrow as a paragraph marker, but all I found on ekthesis was a statement of faith.

• Like 1

@Lawrence

Here's what I found.  I marked the margins with a sort of teal color just to help in seeing where the "ekthesis" is located in the text. Hopefully its helpful for you.

Tyndale House Greek New Testament - ekthesis.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry @Lawrence, I should have been more clear. Thank you @Misulejoha for answering the question. Do either of you have the module to confirm?

You can see the formatting that was once there in the product page image, the release announcement, and a review of the module that Accordance links to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darrylmy said:

Sorry @Lawrence, I should have been more clear. Thank you @Misulejoha for answering the question. Do either of you have the module to confirm?

You can see the formatting that was once there in the product page image, the release announcement, and a review of the module that Accordance links to.

I vaguely remember this being the case when it came out. That being said, I think the ektheseis dropped out a long time ago. I have the TGNT on an old (2009) MacBookPro that still has Acc.13 and that I use alongside Acc.14 in a much newer MacBookAir. I haven't updated the older one for ages and haven't been able to download new purchases or corrections to existing texts for quite a while. This probably goes back at least a year, maybe even two. All that to say that the ektheseis have already disappeared on the version of the TGNT I have on that one. But you're right, it is a bug that should be fixed.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

The print version has ekthesis. The accordance version has always had normal paragraph indentation to represent the same section breaks. At least it has since I've owned it, which is almost from the beginning. I've got a feeling that formatting for ekthesis would cause other problems, not to mention waste valuable screen real estate. 

• Like 1

@darrylmy now I'm looking at the product image and review you linked and I'm just not sure, lol. Maybe my memory is faulty. But I use the THGNT alongside NA regularly in accordance and never noticed a change. But maybe my mind just filtered it out! 

• Like 1

Thanks @Donald Cobb and @A. Smith for checking. I just looked at the module on my iMac which has version 1.5 (which is only one point release away from the most recent version) of the module and it still has the correct formatting.

image.thumb.png.f153091a37f13efe191699563eff37e6.png

Perhaps the loss of formatting is related to Accordance itself. My main computer (MacBook Pro which is missing the formatting) is running 13.3.3. The iMac is still on 13.1.5. @Donald Cobb what version of the module is on your 2009 MBP? That should give us some insight into if it is the module or Accordance.

• Like 3

@Misulejoha @darrylmy

Thanks for explaining what ekthesis means.

There's no ekthesis in mine, either, whether in a small window or zoomed out.

Tyndale House GNT module version 1.6 on Accordance 14.0.5 (Windows 11).

image.png.543cfaa303ce400df08484f067148b32.png

Just chiming in that THGNT-T version 1.6 on Accordance 13.3.4 (Windows 10) looks identical to @Lawrence's, if that helps narrow the regression down further.

40 minutes ago, darrylmy said:

Thanks @Donald Cobb and @A. Smith for checking. I just looked at the module on my iMac which has version 1.5 (which is only one point release away from the most recent version) of the module and it still has the correct formatting.

image.thumb.png.f153091a37f13efe191699563eff37e6.png

Perhaps the loss of formatting is related to Accordance itself. My main computer (MacBook Pro which is missing the formatting) is running 13.3.3. The iMac is still on 13.1.5. @Donald Cobb what version of the module is on your 2009 MBP? That should give us some insight into if it is the module or Accordance.

Thanks for looking into this Darryl. The Acc. 13 version in my MBP is 13.3.4. The version of TGNT in it is 1.6. I would assume that something happened between the 1.5. and the 1.6 versions but it could be connected to the Acc. iteration.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steven S said:

Just chiming in that THGNT-T version 1.6 on Accordance 13.3.4 (Windows 10) looks identical to @Lawrence's, if that helps narrow the regression down further.

So same here.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Donald Cobb said:

The version of TGNT in it is 1.6. I would assume that something happened between the 1.5. and the 1.6 versions but it could be connected to the Acc. iteration.

Thanks @Donald Cobb, I was guessing that your module was older than 1.6. So, I copied version 1.5 to my MBP and the formatting appears correctly, confirming your assumption. Thanks!

Nathan (couldn't find your @ handle), I've sent in a correction, but could add this to the list of things you're tracking?

• Like 2

@Nathan Parker perhaps you could investigate the loss of ekthesis in THGNT-T with version 1.6 of that text. I do recall the formatting being unique (relative to other GNT text modules), but did not notice the change until I saw this thread.

• Like 2

Let me see what I can find out about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who started this post @darrylmyyou cost me more money, because I realized I didn't have this & then of course I had to get a few other things. besides, I have to keep @Nathan Parkerfeed

• Haha 1

Hee hee! Now my Chick Fil A is closing up for 5 months due to renovations. I'm going to have a time waiting it to re-open!

• Like 1