User Tools: Hangs, Multiple crashes, verse refs not detected, etc.

Stuart Robertson

I am encountering a wide variety of crashes, hangs (spinning "pizza wheel"), etc. ever since "upgrading" to Accordance 14.

There are so many issues I don’t really know where to start.

Creating User Tools:

• After selecting File > User Files > Import User Tool, Accordance hangs for about 20–30 seconds (CPU is at almost zero during this time).
  • When the next dialog (copyright warning) finally appears, and I select a prepared HTML file, Accordance again hangs for about 10–20 seconds and then finally starts compiling the user tool.
  • After compilation, I notice that many verse references are not detected. See the screenshot.
  • Clicking on a verse reference in the generated user tool causes an immediate crash, every single time. Rebooting, restarting Accordance, etc. have no effect on preventing the crashes. See attachment for crash log.

I’m running Accordance v14.0.4 on macOS Monterey 12.6.5, iMac 27" 2019, 72GB RAM, no issues with other apps.

General Hangs and Crashes:

• Accordance regularly hangs at odd moments, especially when clicking on hyperlinks in tools causes hangs of ~5–10 seconds. Other actions taken via the menu also result in long hangs. Popping out a window is especially troublesome.
  • "Recover" after a crash loses previously open windows.
  • This morning I "lost" my newly created user tool. I created it, clicked on a verse ref, Accordance promptly crashed, and when it restarted and "recovered" my user tool was nowhere to be seen.

Time would fail me this morning to document all of the issues I’m running into. I’ve spent a fair bit of money on Accordance over the years and am now becoming increasingly worried about my "investment". I don’t particularly like the "other Bible app" (though I have a large library in it) but am finding Accordance increasingly getting in the way of actually reading / studying the Word.

Any suggestions on how to get these issues fixed?

Sincerely,

Stuart.

User Tool - Missing Refs.png

Crash - click on ref in user tool.png

Some of this has been reported already and fixes are in the works. I’ll run the rest by our teams.

Is it possible to downgrade from v14 to v13? Lately I’m dreading using Accordance...

Yes on downgrading from 14 to 13. @KevinPurcell has instructions on his blog, which I highly encourage you to follow! He doesn’t work for Accordance, but he reviews various Bible software apps and offers some of the best advice on Bible software in the industry, and he keeps all of us at Accordance on our feet. 🙂 

Thanks Nathan. I managed to successfully downgrade (or, perhaps I should say, "upgrade") from v14 to v13. Ran into some weirdness with settings messed up (mostly display settings) but it’s so much better.

By the way, 14.0.5 is going to correct a lot of issues, so you may want to re-test after we release it.