Searching Hebrew text perfectly & imperfectly

Enoch

When one searches for a word, one gets a list of verses having that word with the hit-word in red (or whatever color one has for a preference).  Is it possible to search the Hebrew OT for imperfect tense (aspect) and get all the verbs in the imperfect to appear in red?  And could one also do that to get all the Wow! Consecutives in red?  And to take it a step further, could one search for both perfects & imperfects & have them both appear in red?

[VERB wawConsecutive]

[VERB perfect]

[VERB imperfect]

[VERB (imperfect, perfect)]

You can use the construct pane/window and drag a verb into the search and you should be prompted for parameters on the search. Choose ASPECT and Choose Perfect. Then drag another verb into the same column under the first verb and choose aspect and select imperfect. Stacking in the construct column is the equivalent of <OR> in the search command line syntax.

Thanks much, gentlemen. 

34 minutes ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

You can use the construct pane/window and drag a verb into the search and you should be prompted for parameters on the search. Choose ASPECT and Choose Perfect. Then drag another verb into the same column under the first verb and choose aspect and select imperfect. Stacking in the construct column is the equivalent of <OR> in the search command line syntax.

Thanks much gentlemen.  Stirling, I don't quite understand your directions, which you so kindly provided.  By "construct pane/window" do you mean what I call the search window, narrow window at the top of the display?  Apparently Accordance uses ASPECT instead of TENSE.  But I am at a loss as to "same column under the first verb," so perhaps "construct pane/window" does not mean the search window?  Then I don't know what "construct pane/window" means.  Thanks for the info on "stacking"

2 hours ago, mbcvida said:

[VERB wawConsecutive]

[VERB perfect]

[VERB imperfect]

[VERB (imperfect, perfect)]

Thanks so much.   Now how does one search for waw consecutive perfect vs waw consecutive imperfect?  [VERB wawConsecutive, perfect] did not work.

Edited by Enoch

[VERB perfect consecutive]  - perfect

[VERB wawConsecutive]  - imperfect

using the search bar, search menu -- tag -- verb -- aspect (Perfect) other (consecutive)

OR tag-verb-wawconsecutive

2 hours ago, mbcvida said:

[VERB perfect consecutive]  - perfect

[VERB wawConsecutive]  - imperfect

using the search bar, search menu -- tag -- verb -- aspect (Perfect) other (consecutive)

OR tag-verb-wawconsecutive

thanks a lot MbcVida.  I got results (thanks) from [VERB perfect consecutive].

But when I tried  adding the - perfect, I got gibberish in the search line:  - פeרטeשׂת

21 hours ago, Enoch said:

Thanks much, gentlemen. 

Thanks much gentlemen.  Stirling, I don't quite understand your directions, which you so kindly provided.  By "construct pane/window" do you mean what I call the search window, narrow window at the top of the display?  Apparently Accordance uses ASPECT instead of TENSE.  But I am at a loss as to "same column under the first verb," so perhaps "construct pane/window" does not mean the search window?  Then I don't know what "construct pane/window" means.  Thanks for the info on "stacking"

You need to find the current documentation on the Hebrew Construct Panel for Acc13. If you aren't using it you are missing the most important tool in Ancient Languages. I am over 10 years behind on upgrades. So I cannot post a screen shot. The features of the construct Panel/Pane/Window will be different depending on what Hebrew Text you are searching. All of this is explained somewhere on the Acc site but someone with version 13 will have to help you out finding it. The accordance site is a mystery to me.. I never use it. I have ancient pdf documents on the before-version 10 interface.

You can start here:

https://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX13/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/greek_and_hebrew_constructs.htm

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

1 hour ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

Here is an introductory podcast on construct searches:

https://vimeo.com/170110178

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

Sorry for the confusion above —- I added the -perfect -imperfect to show what the search was for — I did not mean it to be a part of the search construction