Compare the results of two similar but different searches?

Accordance Enthusiast

How do I do this?

If I modify a search and get new results, how do I quickly see the added or removed verses / hits compared to the previous results?

I would appreciate any help with this.

Can you be more specific? I can think of a couple things, but I'm not sure it would be what you're looking for.

7 hours ago, Anonymous said:

How do I do this?

If I modify a search and get new results, how do I quickly see the added or removed verses / hits compared to the previous results?

I would appreciate any help with this.

I'm not at my computer right now. But my first thought is to simply open two tabs of the text and run the different searches in the different tabs (or zones or whatever. Then you can run some variety of the HITS search to compare them, but I'd need to be at my computer to work out the exact method for that. If nothing else, having the search in two different windows you can visually compare them. 

3 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

Can you be more specific?

Sure. I want to immediately see which verse references were added or removed with the new search criteria. 

If I modify my search and get two more hits out of 500, where to find the two new verses? If I get 1 less out of 200, it takes a good deal of time to manually find which verse is now omitted from the new search results.

19 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

Sure. I want to immediately see which verse references were added or removed with the new search criteria. 

If I modify my search and get two more hits out of 500, where to find the two new verses? If I get 1 less out of 200, it takes a good deal of time to manually find which verse is now omitted from the new search results.

I see. You can use your analysis tab for that. Do both searches, then compare the analysis tables in parallel windows see which books have a conflicting number of hits. From there, you can open the analysis graph showing the number of hits per chapter. It is a little fastidious, but much less so than going hit by hit.

• Like 1

@Donald Cobb

You can do a one-way set difference of the two searches this way:

1. Search in tab 1. Name the tab "T1".

2. Search in tab 2. Name the tab "T2".

3. Open another tab. In the search bar, type: [CONTENTS T1] <NOT> [CONTENTS T2]

You get all the verses in T1 that aren't in T2. Swap T1 and T2 if you want verses in T2 that aren't in T1.

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lawrence said:

@Donald Cobb

You can do a one-way set difference of the two searches this way:

1. Search in tab 1. Name the tab "T1".

2. Search in tab 2. Name the tab "T2".

3. Open another tab. In the search bar, type: [CONTENTS T1] <NOT> [CONTENTS T2]

You get all the verses in T1 that aren't in T2. Swap T1 and T2 if you want verses in T2 that aren't in T1.

Excellent! Great suggestion. It's obvious… as soon as you think of it! Thanks.

• Like 2

you can also run one search > Select all > right click > Add Select to > New Reference list

image.png.fdf29d12278c40e9e9d15320eabac166.png

Run new search > select all > right click > create a new reference list

Now you can compare the two lists.

(NB: This works in v13. A bug in v14 keeps it from working now.)

• Like 1

OR

run a search with your two terms connected by <OR>

Now use Analysis Graph, and it will display the two terms separately

• Like 1