Accordance 14: How to create Dictionary/Lexicon/Commentary in User Tool

simonau

I am excited that User Tool supports new Type: Dictionary/Lexicon/Commentary in Accordance 14.

When I click menu Help --> "Accordance Help", the link is http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX13/Default.htm which is for Accordance 13 though.

Just wondering where I can find more details on their usages? 

accordane-14-new-user-tool.png

It is not good when a product is released without documentation. 

How can an user know how to use a new feature without it? 😞 

• Like 3

On 12/4/2022 at 10:00 PM, simonau said:

I agree with you 100%. That's part of the concern that some (including myself) have voiced about the release of this version of 14. Sorry there isn't a better solution. There are Webinars on version 14 coming up, perhaps they will give more info.

• Like 1

Webinars are great but they always do not cover a feature in technical details. It is also not a replacement. 🙂

As an example to illustrate its value:

In Accordance 13 documentation, there are details on accepted markup when importing a bible text.
I can present my imported bibles layout in a nice way with my friends.

That information I could not find in any webinars.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:02 PM, simonau said:

I am excited that User Tool supports new Type: Dictionary/Lexicon/Commentary in Accordance 14.

When I click menu Help --> "Accordance Help", the link is http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/OSX13/Default.htm which is for Accordance 13 though.

Just wondering where I can find more details on their usages? 

accordane-14-new-user-tool.png

Have you tried using it yet, and if so, did it work?

Edited by Don Bedsole

On 12/4/2022 at 10:00 PM, simonau said:

Hi @simonau  Try this link and look for the help version appropriate to your OS version. 

Help for Accordance - Accordance (accordancebible.com)

I emailed Accordance Support today (about User Tools actually) and through them I became aware that the online help had been updated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, simonau said:

Webinars are great but they always do not cover a feature in technical details. It is also not a replacement. 🙂

As an example to illustrate its value:

In Accordance 13 documentation, there are details on accepted markup when importing a bible text.
I can present my imported bibles layout in a nice way with my friends.

That information I could not find in any webinars.

You're preaching to the choir, my friend. I'm just trying to give you the closest thing to help I can offer. What would be best is for an Accordance employee to do that, but that's not likely to happen, so you can either wait patiently or hope there's something helpful there.

2 hours ago, Don Bedsole said:

Hi @simonau  Try this link and look for the help version appropriate to your OS version. 

I emailed Accordance Support today (about User Tools actually) and through them I became aware that the online help had been updated.

It looks to me like they're beginning to get the version 14 help files up, but when I clicked through it there are still numerous broken links in the Help files for version 14 and sections that still have no help yet written. 

See this page for instance, there is no link under the User Tool Improvements

• Thanks 1

Hi @mhanel, yes the help is still in progress.

Hi @Don Bedsole , thanks for your help providing the help link.

I compare the User Tool section in Accordance 13 vs 14, and they are exactly identical. It does not even mention about the new types.

It looks they clone Accordance 13 help --> 14, start to document but haven't covered the User Tool yet.

When I create a Commentary type user tool, I cannot open it. Nothing happens when I select it.

Then I create a General type user tool, open, edit, update.

After that I change it from General Tool to Commentary in the Tool Options, which is at the top right corner.

Accordance pops up a dialog "Are you sure you wish to convert "My Tool 2" to be a Commentary?", and I select OK.

Now I can open and edit it but I didn't see any difference between the type General Tool and Commentary in the Update window. They have the same UI layout, buttons, "T", "1" ...

I need to be patient, wait for the help update and pray for the developers and technical writers. That is what I can do. 😄

ask-to-convert.png

3 hours ago, Don Bedsole said:

Just to clarify, the Accordance support people DID NOT tell me that the online help had been updated. The person helping me posted a link to it. When I saw Accordance 14 on the pages I ASSUMED everything had been updated.

@Don Bedsole yours is a correct assumption.

https://www.accordancebible.com/help-for-accordance/ is publicly accessible (Home page --> Support --> Help) with links to Accordance 14 in Mac/Windows.

They implicitly state that those helps should contain updated information for 14.