Save and/or toggle phrasing?

A. Smith

In the past I’ve used the diagramming function to outline texts graphically. I would then save those as their own workspace so I could return to them. 

With phrasing this kind of outlining is much simpler. However, I don’t always want to see my outline; sometimes I want just the text. 

Is it possible to toggle phrasing on and off? Have I missed it?

Thanks! I clearly haven’t spent enough time with this!

I understand that this is something that a lot of people seem to really like, so that is good that v.14 has it, but could someone clarify the usefulness of phrasing? I have been trying to figure it out for awhile.

4 minutes ago, Kristin said:

I understand that this is something that a lot of people seem to really like, so that is good that v.14 has it, but could someone clarify the usefulness of phrasing? I have been trying to figure it out for awhile.

You might want to break up a sentence or paragraph into up into your own sections so that you can separate the key key words or phrases.  It's mostly a visual aid to help with breaking down the authors key thoughts.

• Like 1

Kristin, I pulled this of the web to give you an idea how you can use it to break down a verse.

f4345195ed55ae95e8a171f69c46afad.jpg

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

I have been trying to figure it out for awhile.

@Kristin, your posts usually seem related to Hebrew content, so I'm not sure if this will help.... But Bill Mounce's Greek for the Rest of Us (GRU) covers English and Greek phrasing in pretty good detail; the video lectures and screencasts that accompany the book are especially helpful (the third edition of GRU was released about two weeks ago). I had no intention of learning about phrasing when I picked up this book last year, but after reading/watching Dr. Mounce's teachings, I regret not having learned it earlier. :)

(Hat tip: It was GRU that finally convinced me to upgrade from using Accordance Lite for almost three years to the full version earlier this year.)

• Like 2

@Kristinthere are so many options. You can visually outline narrative structure, rhetorical structure, logical structure, on and on. Highlight parallels, chiasmus, inclusio, the options are endless. 

• Like 1

Hi @Steven S and @A. Smith,

Thank you both for clarifying, and given what Steven said about Mounce, it sounds like "phrasing" and "sentence diagramming" are basically the same thing, in which case, I understand it now. My text books in Greek were Mounce and Wallace, so I suppose it is odd I only know it as sentence diagramming and had never heard of phrasing. Thanks again.

Kristin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Steven S and @A. Smith,

Thank you both for clarifying, and given what Steven said about Mounce, it sounds like "phrasing" and "sentence diagramming" are basically the same thing, in which case, I understand it now. My text books in Greek were Mounce and Wallace, so I suppose it is odd I only know it as sentence diagramming and had never heard of phrasing. Thanks again.

Kristin

They are not at all the same thing. Sentence diagraming is a specific way to diagram grammatical relations. 

Phrasing is a non standard way of marking up various features as need/desire dictates. In my use, I can’t think of a time when I’ve rearranged constituents as is nearly always done in Diagramm sind. But, preserving constituent order in phrasing, I’m able To highlight literary features. So, for example, chias us and inclusio has nothing to do with grammar and syntax but is a matter of ‘surface structure’ (to resurrect a decrepit concept). 

However, you can use phrasing for whatever you want. Though actually diagraming will be difficult as the symbols aren’t there. But there is a separate canvas sort of tool you can use for that. I used to use that simply for phrase diagramming. I’ve never been I retested in sentence diagramming. 

• Like 1

@Kristin here are examples. Not mine. The first is diagramming. Diagramming, btw, is the same in any language (one of the reasons I don’t like it as it forces the grammar into an unnatural mold. Greek and Hebrew are verb-initial (unmarked) and diagramming requires SVO word order).

A4F58790-4887-4F35-9AE8-1511B5232003.png.c07bede0b7f8f66f914299ad0a39095e.png

And here are two different examples of phrase structure. The nested clauses highlights subordination and various other clausal relationships. And, again, you can highlight literary features rather than grammatical features (which is what I tend to do) but I couldn’t find a ready example. Gordon Fee shows this in his New Testament Exegesis book. 
53E02A57-6D74-47F0-9B18-DBD981CAFC4C.png.1f9aab47f4975475b203c0114b81d105.png

0BD8CFFD-BFB0-46EA-AA9A-7FA27A887198.png.0de02159590b585655a31dda274aa043.png

• Like 1

Thanks @Steven Sand @A. Smithfor your use diagraming with Greek.  It’s clear that diagrams takes things to a whole new level.  Phrasing in .14 is a great start for people who want to break into things at an entry level.  Great illustrations all the same, and this only proves how’s versatile Accordance is.

@A. Smith,

Thank you for the screen shots, and now I see the distinction. Now I see that I actually do both and did not realize it. The diagramming is what I had to do for profs (for sure, for sure, never would have done it if I had not been forced to learn it), and the phrasing is the most I use in classes, which in my mind was just diagramming 101, and it sounds like @Paul Meiklejohn sees it as a simplified diagramming too. So ya, apparently I do know what phrasing is, I just did not realize it was called that. :)

Kristin

@KristinI was just reading in Luke and noticed a sort of chiasm in the way that Luke describes John's priestly parents. Notice how Zechariah is introduced by his name followed by a genitive source phrase but Elizabeth is introduced by a genitive source phrase and then her name. This probably means absolutely nothing, but it highlights Luke's literary artistry which is really important in the first two chapters of Luke. You can highlight this with phrasing as I've done here. I was going to use interliner in case you don't read greek, but you apparently cannot with phrasing. This is perfectly understandable given the complexities of interlinerizing a text. 

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 11.19.56.png

Hi @A. Smith,

Thanks for phrasing example in Luke. :) I agree he writes very artistically. That is interesting to know the interliner doesn't work with it, but I do read Greek, so it doesn't matter.

Kristin