Search Context or Meaning

cweber

I am just wondering if there is a technique to search for simply looking a word up for it's definition versus results returned for it's use in context. I am finding my search results when triple clicking a word return usage, but not a definition?

For example, I triple click "profligate" in a Boice commentary and two hits are returned in 'Dictionary of the later NT', showing context. I am surprised if no definition is found in any of my other dictionaries as I have a lot. Therefore, my question, is this normal or is there a search skill required.

Edited by cweber

Set the triple click English option to the Webster 1913 dictionary which you may have. I find this dictionary quite interesting,

—Joseph

Edited by Solly

Thanks @Solly that put me onto the correct path. I couldn't find the option at first and eventually worked it out from the below video. That Webster dictionary certainly provided a more definitive answer.

I now see the obvious, where I can change dictionaries. I guess Research will go through everything, but this will suffice.

image.png.1f56a2fcd621b4592fa534e0cd1ce8e0.png

Edited by cweber

Triple clicking is a wonderful shortcut. ;) 

Don't forget to do a shift-triple click in a text if you want to use the English dictionary instead the lexicon tied to the key number for the chosen word.

Another strategy I have used is to place Webster at the top of the dictionary list, then AYB, Enc. of Christianity, Dict. of Theological Terms, and so on.  This allows easy access from Webster to these tools via the little disclosure triangle next to the current tool name found left of the search entry area. The other advantage is that any English word not found in Webster would be then picked up by AYB, and if not there by the next on the list and so on. My logic is that I want a general English definition first, as you. After that I want to know how that word is used in Biblical literature, then a historical Christian context, followed by the theological context.

Have fun experimenting—the software provides amazing flexibility to work in a way you want to work. 

Peace,

—Joseph

• Like 1