Search Difference

Ingo

What's the difference between searching for the Word Πνεῦμα and =Πνεῦμα? The first yields 385 hits in GNT, the latter 78 hits. So, what does the "=" filter out? I see lower case and upper case and declined forms in both. "=Πνεῦμα" does not yield "Πνεῦμα" in Rev 22:17 - why not? And . . . (teach me to fish instead of handing me a fish . . . ) where would I find info on this under Help? Thanks!

Edited by Ingo

I'm a bit unsure about this because my counts differ from yours, but here is what I think I can say: searching the GNT and limiting the range to the New Testament, searching for =πνεῧμα is a search for the lexeme (the lexical form in all of its various case expressions) and my count is 379 hits. On the other hand, "πνεῧμα" is a search for a particular inflected form (the neuter singular accusative of the lexeme). I show that as 158 hits. For me, both searches included the use of πνεῧμα in Rev. 22:17. I'm not sure what yielded 78 hits in your post. I'd love to see a screen shot of that search. In terms of the help system, check out the Search Commands in the help file.

Edited by Clint Cozier

The applicable entry in the help system is Search for Words in Tagged Text, specifically the section Exact forms (Inflected forms might interest you, as well). There are also tutorials on these types of searches under Help > Tutorials > Searching, specifically Searching for Greek Lexical Forms and Searching for Greek Inflected Forms.

2 hours ago, Ingo said:

"=Πνεῦμα" does not yield "Πνεῦμα" in Rev 22:17 - why not?

This may be a tagging error in the GNT-TR module (which I assume you're using, as opposed to GNT28-T, since you're searching for Πνεῦμα with a capital pi). =Πνεῦμα is searching for all words that have Πνεῦμα as their lexical form. However, in GNT-TR (version 5.5), the word Πνεῦμα in Rev. 22:17 appears to be tagged with the lexical form πνεῦμα (i.e., with a lowercase pi). If you notice, all the reported hits for =Πνεῦμα are tagged with Πνεῦμα as their lexical form. Maybe someone with a better understanding of how the Greek is tagged could weigh in if this is indeed a tagging error. (I don't really know much about capitalization in the TR, so I don't know if there's a reason why a noun would be capitalized in the text but not tagged as a proper name in the database.)

Note that if you do an exact inflected form search using "=Πνεῦμα", Rev. 22:17 shows up as expected.

I was searching in the NT/LXX module which is the GNT text. Searching for "Πνεῦμα" will yield both upper and lower case hits.

348066D3-93F0-4695-A037-A97B954D3E8B.thumb.jpeg.2c07507b0f0fb062eb5e9edf6b8519d5.jpeg

6F21BEC8-DDD6-41AC-8710-868D7A6BB14D.thumb.jpeg.a1c1639250fd939ea61fbc0c31a1a4c4.jpeg

lower case πνεῦμα: 385 hits; =πνεῦμα: 312 hits

I'll try GNT-28 as well. Interesting variations.

Edited by Ingo
edit

@Ingo, searches for =Πνεῦμα and "=Πνεῦμα" in GNT28-T will yield zero hits because, AFAIK, NA28 never capitalizes πνεῦμα in the Greek like the TR does. A search for Πνεῦμα will yield the same number of hits as πνεῦμα (379 in GNT28-T version 3.7) because a lexeme search without "=" is case insensitive.

• Like 1