Not sure why I can't delete my post

salutations75

Odd that I can't delete my post.

Edited by salutations75

• salutations75 changed the title to Not sure why I can't delete my post
9 hours ago, salutations75 said:

Odd that I can't delete my post.

I can't either. You have to be a moderator to have that super power. However, I think we should add the ability for a user to delete their own posts if they feel the need.

So, I just looked into the forum settings and found that as it stands, the forum software has a kind of all of nothing approach to deleting content. I wish that there was an option similar to the ability to edit posts--that is, you have 60 minutes to edit content. With editing, you can even delete all of a post's content and leave it empty. 

There is a switch I could set to allow users to delete content without time limits, and the admins who came before me decided this was not a good idea. For what it's worth, I agree with them for the following reasons:

1. If a user deleted content that was valuable for understanding a discussion, that context would be lost.
  2. If, heaven forbid, a user made a threat or derogatory comments toward another user--something I can't even imagine on our forums--we'd need to be able to see that post in order to take follow-up measures; but we could then hide it from all but those with admin status.
  3. There have been a handful of occasions in the past where a user has contacted us asking that a post be hidden, and I cannot remember a time where we did not accommodate that request. This is ultimately the solution as it now stands.

Years ago, I was a regular reader and participator of a blog unrelated to Accordance. One particular user got angry over a particular issue and deleted all of his comments that he had posted over many years--99.99% of which had nothing to do with what he was angry over--and left to never return. There was really good and valuable discussions that he left major gaps in by deleting his participation. Again, I don't really anticipate that happening here, but for now we will leave things as they are.

Having said all that, if anyone ever really needs something deleted, and it's past the 60 minute mark for editing, simply contact me.