Searching Hebrew words (excluding gentilic and properName) excludes מַ֫יִם (water) and עַיִן (eye) etc.

Martin Z

Hi,

I was searching for all Hebrew words (excluding gentilic and properName), but it excludes מַ֫יִם (water) which is neither a gentilic or properName. I'm wondering why?

Here is what I did:

First, search for all gentilics and proper names:

image.thumb.png.95b34dc2e0fa195c24170e6d98dd0b79.png

The list includes 3 occurrences of מַ֫יִם.

image.thumb.png.fb4414feb84895128f54ffba03207574.png

The NIV translates all three as "Maim", but the gloss given by Accordance has one case of "Maim" and two cases of "water."

image.png.192c76f1d0c33b5c478fa83d8159f518.png

The more problematic issue is: When I exclude the gentilic and proper name HITS from the Hebrew word list, מַ֫יִם (water) is also excluded:

image.thumb.png.b1dace81b7275cbf427dd4ff866f165a.png

This happens to other words that are used as both a proper name and a common noun, such as עַיִן (eye, spring, En). 

Is it a bug? How to search for all Hebrew words, excluding all gentilics and proper names but not excluding the common nouns such as מַ֫יִם (water) and עַיִן (eye)?

Thanks!

Another error is that עֲבֵ֣ד of עֲבֵ֣ד נְג֑וֹ is tagged as a Hebrew word, as can be seen below. (I have reported it as a typo via email.)

image.thumb.png.fd3333b2d38970ff6411203249b76531.png

Searching for the following seems to get what I want:

*@-*־0@- [NOUN (gentilic, properName)] 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Martin Z said:

Searching for the following seems to get what I want:

*@-*־0@- [NOUN (gentilic, properName)] 

Just for laughs I tried your syntax in Daniel and Ezra using my HMT 2001** and it seemed to work until it hit the Aramaic material. Again, just to satisfy curiosity I used a Hebrew Construct window which matches the specification. It worked fine for the Aramaic material. I still have HMT 1.1 1994** which linked to the same construct window gave slightly different numbers but had no obvious issues with Aramaic. 

Hebrew Masoretic Text Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew Morphology (Release 3.5) ©1991, 1994,1999, 2001 Westminster Theological Seminary, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania  USA. All rights reserved. Text used by permission of the United Bible Society, based on the Michigan-Claremont-Westminster machine-readable text.  All rights reserved. Version 3.1   

Hebrew Masoretic Text Westminster Hebrew Morphology © 1994 CATBE, Westminster Theological Seminary Philadelphia, Pennsylvania  USA Used by permission of the United Bible Society, based on the Michigan-Claremont-Westminster machine-readable text.  All rights reserved. Version 1.1

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew