How to jump to the next occurrence of a word in the same tab?

Tony Young

Dear Helper,

I am looking for a very basic feature that searches for a particular word in a book that I am reading.  Say, I am reading a commentary NICNT, and spot an interesting word, say "Spirit".  I want to simply jump to the next occurrence of "Spirit" from the current position without leaving the current tab.  I expect that Accordance will scroll down to a new position with a new occurrence of "Sprit", preferably highlighted.

Is it possible?  This feature is very common in every word processor, like Microsoft Word, Google docs, Apple Pages, etc.  When you read an article in a word processor, you want to jump to the next (or sometimes previous) word that causes your attention.

I appreciate any hint.  Your help is much needed and appreciated.

Tony

Just go to the search entry at the top of the tab.  Click the drop down and click English content.  Type in 'Spirit', and hit enter.

The Hits at the bottom of the tab will scroll through the search.... see red arrows on on Screenshot.

Screenshot of Accordance (18-02-2022, 08-11-41).png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

Alternatively, double-click the word.  Hold option-key (on a Mac) click 'search word' at the top of menu. Make sure your search criteria is still on English content.

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the reply.  I just tried the "English Content".  It is close to what I wish.  The thing is that Accordance always scrolls to the top of a book after my hitting the enter key in the search entry.  For example, in Matthew 16:21 of NICNT, page 629, if I search for "Messiah", Accordance will jump to the first occurrence of "Messiah" in book Matthew, i.e. page 4, which is far away from page 629.  Then I have to struggle to manually scroll down to page 629.  What I want Accordance to do is to find the first occurrence of "Messiah" ON or AFTER the current page that I am reading, i.e. page 629 (or even better AFTER the cursor position if possible).  As mentioned, it is a very common feature in a browser, a word processor, etc.  Thank you in advance for any further assistance.

Tony

• Like 1

Okay Tony, I see your predicament. It is possible, but only when the tab is tied to a text module.

1. Have a text module open (NIV etc.) with your NICNT tied and scrolling with the text.  (drop me note if you are unfamiliar with this) 

2. Now let's say your text is at Matt 16:21.  Now run your Messiah search on NICNT with English content; Hit Enter. Now as you you say it will most likely jump back to page 4 in the commentary.

3. However, If you now go back over to your text and type in Matt 16.21 into the search tab and hit enter. The passage and the commentary will also jump to that verse and you can use the hits from Matt 16:21 (p629) onwards.

It involves that extra final step, but works well once you get used to doing it. 

Screenshot enc.

Screenshot of Accordance (18-02-2022, 20-38-44).png

Thanks so much, Paul.  I got your hint and workaround.  I am just surprised that Accordance doesn't directly support this feature.  It would be nicer even if Accordance would support a button to jump back to a previous position.  Maybe I am not using Accordance as a normal person uses it.  Still, Paul, I really appreciate your help.

No problem Tony, Accordance always welcome suggestions for future development, and I can see the benefits of what you’re asking.  Meantime bear in mind that your verse entry should stay static, just pop the curser into the verse box and hit it enter and and it will at least take you back that point in your study.

That is a good point.  Thanks, Paul.  The verse entry stays static.  If I pop the curser into the verse box and hit it enter, nothing happens in my study.  Say the verse entry has "Eph. 6:1".  If I remove "1" and then add "1" back, and then hit enter, my study will scroll to the position matching "Eph. 6:1".  I don't mind the extra step to trigger the scrolling.

10 hours ago, Tony Young said:

That is a good point.  Thanks, Paul.  The verse entry stays static.  If I pop the curser into the verse box and hit it enter, nothing happens in my study.  Say the verse entry has "Eph. 6:1".  If I remove "1" and then add "1" back, and then hit enter, my study will scroll to the position matching "Eph. 6:1".  I don't mind the extra step to trigger the scrolling.

Or just add a space and then hit return will work too.

• Thanks 1