Regarding upgrades

Luckylou1980

Since I've had accordance I have never upgraded any of my modules. My question is if I upgrade a commentary series am I still able to keep the previous downgrade? Im wondering because I still may like some of the previous authors commentary better than those who are in the upgrade. 

In my experience if a new updated commentaries are added to a series and a user upgrades the series then Accordance generally makes the old editions available as separate modules. For example, if a new updated commentary on Ephesians is released as part of a series, then the new upgraded module would have the updated commentary on Ephesians along with a separate module available to download for the older Ephesians commentary.

The only time I have seen accordance drop older titles in a series is at the request of the publisher. However, users who have purchased the series previously will find that those titles are available to them as separate modules.

Hi @Luckylou1980,

What Michael said has been my experience as well if you actually buy an updated version. However, that is truly if you buy the updated version. If you just click on the update for "updates available" it will normally write over whatever you currently own. So if a specific module is really important, I think I would ask @Tech Support to know for sure if it would be overwritten.

The one thing I can think is maybe there would be a way to duplicate the file before updating (it would need to be renamed), but I am not sure if that would be possible, or even have an advantage.

Kristin

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Im sure that when its updated I will lose the original. I was just thinking about the reality that even though something is updated it doesn't garintee that it will be better. 

• Like 1

Kristin and Micheal have answered well.  My own simple overview is; if its a replacement volume with a 2nd edition, (completely rewritten) or a whole new volume with a new author…. I get to keep the old version.  If it is textual updates, corrections or resolution improvements (images), it gets overwritten.  In that case, I personally don’t mind losing the original work.  

If the original works are very important to you,  I’d keep a close eye on the Accordance announcements.  

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Thanks 1