Image or picture of a bema seat

EricC

Are there any photos or drawings in Accordance of what a bema seat (judgment seat) may have looked like during the time when Jesus was tried? It may seem strange, but I'm trying to decide if it likely would have had armrests or not :) . I need to know for a language which uses different words depending on whether it has armrests (i.e. is an "armchair") or is just like what we (I) would call a regular chair.

Thank you.

Edited by EricC

No armrests. More of a raised platform. The same basic one from Corinth is in a lot of different resources: Photoguide Overview, Photoguide Europe, ZIBBCNT, Archaeological Study Bible and a bunch more. Do a Research search for Bema under images. 

I found the pictures of the ruins of Corinth. Based on what you said about it being "more of a raised platform", and the fact that the ruins are not very instructive as to where Pilate would have been (John 19:13), if he was sitting or standing, etc., etc., I'm searching for words/descriptions.

Would it be proper to say the "bema" was like an open air "stage", somewhat similar in appearance (not in function!) to the mostly-open stages or even stages open on the front side from which entertainers sing at county fairs, etc.?

Best I can tell, there is no basis for the idea of "sitting" or a "place to sit" inherent in the word "bema", though it's unlikely a judge would stand the whole time. It just seems to me that the pose of the one judging is not important when defining a place called a bema.

I am very grateful for your musings on this topic.

Edit: of course the text of John 19:13 says Pilate sat down on (επι) the βημα. Seems like that's like saying he sat down on the judgment platform or stage.

Edited by EricC
Added

After talking about the one time that the word means “step” on the NT, NIDNTTE says, “Otherwise, the word refers to the platform or dais on which was placed a seat for an official, such as Pilate (Matt 27:19; John 19:13), Herod Agrippa (Acts 12:21), Gallio (18:12, 16–17), and Festus (25:6, 10, 17)” (accord://read/NIDNTTE#6109). The BDAG says the same. So all you see in the photo is the platform on which the chair was placed, not the chair. As to whether or not it had armrests, I’m afraid you’re back to square one: the word “bema” won’t tell you. You would need to find out what sort of chairs judges would typically use in the Roman world.

• Like 1

Cf. NET Bible note which rightly indicates that it is a platform for the officials, likely covered, and with seats for them.

In John 19.13, it almost surely refers to a spot on the western side of the wall that borders the old Herodian palace.

I am persuaded by this article. Pictures and maps included.

• Like 2

Thank you very much, @jlm and @mgvh. These are very helpful things you've pointed me to.

• Like 2