Search Question

Clint Cozier

I want to search BHS for every time אהב is not translated with the greek root ἀγαπη. I think that search sould look like:  =אהב @ <NOT> [LXX1  +αγαπη] which of courase does not work. How do I combine the NOT command and the Text command?  

Thanks.

Try this instead:

[LXX1 +αγαπη]-@אהב=

• Like 1

Thanks! That's perfect.

• Like 1

You already have the answer. I was intrigued by the cryptic syntax. I approached the problem using old technology with the <not> [contents] method. Curious to know if we attained similar results. I used both a positive and negative approach (exclusion/inclusion) to verify. The samples I came up with were in Proverbs and used φιλία as a gloss.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

15 hours ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

You already have the answer. I was intrigued by the cryptic syntax. I approached the problem using old technology with the <not> [contents] method. Curious to know if we attained similar results. I used both a positive and negative approach (exclusion/inclusion) to verify. The samples I came up with were in Proverbs and used φιλία as a gloss.

I knew from my initial search that there were a number of uses of the φίλος root. I'm seeing 51 times in the LXX that the Hebrew אהב is translated with somethig other than ἀγαπη.  Those uses are distributed in Genesis, the prophets and the writings.

3 hours ago, Clint Cozier said:

I knew from my initial search that there were a number of uses of the φίλος root. I'm seeing 51 times in the LXX that the Hebrew אהב is translated with somethig other than ἀγαπη.  Those uses are distributed in Genesis, the prophets and the writings.

Thank you for your reply. I was able to reproduce your results using two methods. I habitually search using tagged lexemes as arguments in HMT-T and LXX1. It looks as if your search uses literal strings so I tried that. I also used a verbose method searching on tagged nouns and verbs which contain the literal strings. This is labor intensive but I have lots of time to do this. These methods produced similar, almost identical results. 

The exclusion method "not in LXX" produces three false results: 1Sam. 18:1,3 and  Prov. 18:24 which are missing (minus) in the LXX. 

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

BTW, remember that once you run your search, open Analysis, then Customize Display (gear in upper right of Analysis window) and add Intertext to the display column.