mgvh

The LXX book order is fine.

In the GNT part, however, it goes from:
Matthew 1.1 through Act 28.31 but then skips to James 1.1

James 1.1 through Jude 25 but then jumps to Romans 1.1

Romans 1.1 through 2 Thess 3.18 but then jumps to Hebrews 1.1

Hebrews 1.1 through 13.26 but then jumps to 1 Timothy 1.1

1 Timothy 1.1 through Philemon 25 but then jumps to Revelation 1.1 to 22.21

I can verify. Fixing it right now. Look for an update asap.

• Like 1

Actually, it looks like we just used the book order found in the Westcott-Hort GNT (which is the GNT used in the LXX-GNT). I'll need to check to make sure it's not a problem to switch it to a "standard" book order.

49 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Actually, it looks like we just used the book order found in the Westcott-Hort GNT (which is the GNT used in the LXX-GNT). I'll need to check to make sure it's not a problem to switch it to a "standard" book order.

Well! I had never bothered to actually look at a physical WH GNT: https://archive.org/details/newtestamentinor01west/

And GNT Westcott-Hort in Accordance also does follow the same order of books in the Greek Bible combo.

If I thought about it, it makes sense that WH is just following the order of books in Codex Vaticanus.

https://digi.vatlib.it/mss/detail/Vat.gr.1209

But, since Vaticanus is lacking the Pastorals, WH placed them after Hebrews like Sinaiticus does. (Though Sinaiticus has a completely separate order. Cf. https://codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx

So, the Greek Bible (LXX Swete plus GNT WH) does have value for replicating to some degree what Vaticanus and Sinaiticus look like.

The biggest problem using it is that the Hits and Analysis Graphs display in non-standard canonical order.

For more reliable / consistent results, then, it would still be nice to have a single module LXX Rahlfs plus NA28.

(Though I did just figure out how to use Research / Custom and use those texts to conduct searches!)

• Like 2

Yes, LXX1-GNT28 combo would be great great great! It is even available in print in Biblia Graeca: https://www.amazon.com/Biblia-Graeca-fl-Septuaginta-Testamentum-Graece/dp/3438051524 

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 2

While I would very much like to have Rahlfs and NA28 in a single module (like I had in BibleWorks), what I read in another discussion a while back suggests that it's not as simple as Mark Allison appending the two. To be a single Text, they have to be tagged the same way, and I seem to recall there were subtle differences of tagging between the two, like not distinguishing homograph lemmas the same way. Those differences would have to be reconciled before the two could be merged into a single Text.

• Like 1

Ah that’s right. I forgot about that. 

5 hours ago, jlm said:

While I would very much like to have Rahlfs and NA28 in a single module (like I had in BibleWorks), what I read in another discussion a while back suggests that it's not as simple as Mark Allison appending the two. To be a single Text, they have to be tagged the same way, and I seem to recall there were subtle differences of tagging between the two, like not distinguishing homograph lemmas the same way. Those differences would have to be reconciled before the two could be merged into a single Text.

I can’t remember now how BibleWorks accounted for this?

In BibleWorks, both the LXX and NA28 were morph tagged with the same system. They also had a separate Friberg scheme for one of the Greek NTs.

• Like 2

Thanks, Mark. Looking forward to a yet-to-be made post downthread that comes back here to say it's ready, whenever that day shall be! :)

• Like 4