Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek: genna¿w mess comes up & no dictionary entry appears

Enoch

When I triple click on a Greek word, in this case ἐγέννησεν, the entry comes up in my default lexicon with the article on the lexeme/meaning of the lexeme.

But then when I select the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, instead of ἐγέννησεν or its lexeme, up comes this mess:  genna¿w, and the article or definition

does not come up, just blank black screen below. I cannot recall any other lexicon choice has behaved this way for me since I have been using Accordance.

It does the same if I erase the verse reference in the lexicon pane.  If I use the left column index of Greek words, then γεννάω is found & if I click on it, I do see

the dictionary entry.

The same problem occurs with the (Brill) Etymological Dictionary of Greek, except γεννάω is not a headword in that lexicon; but you find γέννᾰ.

And am I correct that neither of these lexicons work with Accordance 12?

Edited by Enoch

The product page for each Brill tool you mentioned states: Requires Accordance 13.3 or above, and is not compatible with Accordance Mobile.

Yes, you are correct  about these two products not working with Accordance 12.

I think this is related to some new capabilities first provided in Accordance 13.3 that are needed for these two tools to work in Accordance. However, my understanding of the details is quite limited.

—Joseph

I have Accordance 13.3 & the problem is in 13.3.  The question about 12 was an afterthought & irrelevant. Also, I don't have Accordance Mobile, & this problem has nothing to do with Mobile.

When I triple click on a Greek word, in this case ἐγέννησεν, the entry comes up in my default lexicon with the article on the lexeme/meaning of the lexeme. But then when I select the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, instead of ἐγέννησεν or its lexeme, up comes this mess:  genna¿w, and the article or definition does not come up, just blank black screen below. I cannot recall any other lexicon choice has behaved this way for me since I have been using Accordance.  It does the same if I erase the verse reference in the lexicon pane.  If I use the left column index of Greek words, then γεννάω is found & if I click on it, I do see  the dictionary entry.

The same problem occurs with the (Brill) Etymological Dictionary of Greek, except γεννάω is not a headword in that lexicon; but you find γέννᾰ.

Edited by Enoch

If you try to link Brill tools to other lexicons, the Brill character encoding will not transfer to the other tools, nor will the character encoding of other lexicons transfer to the Brill tools. I have not been able to do any tab links with mixed tools (Brill and non-Brill). It is my understanding that this is related to the text encoding used with Brill.

I get around this by using the 'lexicon lookup' feature of 'live click' operating on a custom group of just a few of my most used lexicons (Brill and non-Brill). This is not at all like the work flow I have developed in the past, but it does allow me to use Brill and non-Brill tools at the same time without the clashes of character encoding.

I expect interoperability between Brill tools and the others will improve over time, and I am most happy to deal with the current inconvenience so that I have the Brill Dictionary available to use now.

I do not have the Etymological Dictionary, but I have read that the headwords do work a bit differently in the Etymological Dictionary .

Best wishes,

—Joseph

• Like 1

Thanks for the bug report Enoch. Solly is correct in saying that the text encoding is different for the Brill lexicons. This was necessary for properly rendering the variety of Greek accents that are found in these lexicons. Let us know if you find other issues.

Thanks Solly for the workaround.  I hope Accordance will fix this bug is a future 13.3+ release

On 9/29/2021 at 1:08 AM, Jordan S said:

Thanks for the bug report Enoch. Solly is correct in saying that the text encoding is different for the Brill lexicons. This was necessary for properly rendering the variety of Greek accents that are found in these lexicons. Let us know if you find other issues.

Going full unicode is necessary for the future. 

• Thanks 1

I am happy to observe that the Brill Dictionary plays nicely with the other lexicons as one would expect in Accordance ver 13.3.1. Back to my usual workflows! ;) 

The fix is in — the 13.3.1 update!

—Joseph the joyful

Thank you Accordance team!