Unfortunate new logo

John Robinson

Is it just me or does anyone else find the new logo for 13.3 to be stark and rather jarring? It’s an absolute eye sore. I don’t want to be offensive but how marketing thought this color scheme and layout was attractive I’ll never understand. 

Now, instead of launching Accordance with a happy feeling, I see the new logo which looks like a Washington Redskins fan designed it, and it brings me sadness. At least the mobile version is still pleasing. 

I formally request you change the logo back to something more attractive and soothing.

• Like 1

It does use more vivid contrast. Context is everything. Perhaps your program icons are all of the sedated variety? Accordance looks right at home in my dock next Pixelmator Pro and Firefox, which are always on and just as vivid. 

But more importantly, why isn't your dock hidden? Rookie mistake. (Must be a Cowboys fan.)

• Haha 1

Don’t forget the dock icon (the app icon) can be easily changed back to a version that you like. 

Ironically Joe, I am a Cowboys fan and for what it's worth, I do hide the dock. But I use launchpad and every morning, boom, there it is in the top right, a white square with rounded corners and an icon that say's "don't click me."

Actually I don't mind the WFT rebrand, works for a football team but not for a Bible study software so much. I'm just saying that a gradient—and most graphic designers will tell you steer clear of a gradient in a logo or most places for that matter—orange-red into a yellow just isn't an attractive combination. But maybe if you like things that are orange and possibly blue, this is the logo for you. : )

Just one man's opinion. 

Edited by John Robinson
  • Like 2

Agreed, most branding designers advocate staying away from gradients. I do think a changing color of a flame is not quite the same principle.

For the record, I never said I liked the logo either. 

Good luck this season. 

• Like 1

it's not like this was rolled out with version 14, so they can hopefully just consider this a beta test of the new look and take feedback under consideration 🙂

Michael Hunt previously posted this screenshot..

image.png.7284da573f426da8b7aeb660b413da7d.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

Interesting. Thanks!

On High Sierra the white background puts it in a class of two on my doc, the other one being Chrome. None of the rest have a background tile as it were. That's the first thing I noticed. As to the gradient regardless of what designers say, it's a smidge closer to reality despite the rest of the icon becoming more stylized. - I'd drop the background for consistency in my env, though it clearly works better for more recent OS dock styles, but that's all but it's barely even a nit overall. I spend more time looking at the app than it's icon.

Thx

D

• Like 1

For the record, I liked John boiling it down to “maybe if you like things that are orange and possibly blue, this is the logo for you. : ).” i.e., Joe likes Accordance orange and perhaps Dallas Cowboy blue. I don’t know anything about gradients. And I know John was just joking. It is fun to listen to this lighthearted discussion.

Michel

• Like 2

I agree, Michael. Good natured, pugilistic banter over app aesthetics — love it. 

• Like 1

I also like John’s comment because it rhymes and can be turned into verse:

If you like things that are orange and blue,

possibly this is the logo for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought this conversation was a bit odd (but clearly lighthearted banter) until mine finally upgraded.   😀  As noted by others, the icon is not terribly important to me in the scheme of things, but I have to admit that I like the previous variant much better! Enough so that I'll likely stir up the energy to actually go in and replace it if I can with the previous version to have that in my dock, which says something since I haven't done that for an app in years.  Also, since I'm not a Florida Gator fan, I do not like things Orange and Blue!  😉

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I do not like things Orange and Blue!  😉

If I were to customize the app icon, I suspect I'd go back 3 or 4 iterations, just for kicks.

It amuses me that so much fun has come from what must have been mindless filler I typed into the "Interests" box of my profile 15 years ago when the Accordance Forums were in beta. My personality disorder (spiritual gift) is keeping things light-hearted whether appropriate or not at times. But, for the record, I do still like them (although I do not particularly care for any of the football teams mentioned upstream).

On 9/18/2021 at 6:57 AM, Paul Meiklejohn said:

image.png.7284da573f426da8b7aeb660b413da7d.png

2 hours ago, Joe Weaks said:

If I were to customize the app icon, I suspect I'd go back 3 or 4 iterations, just for kicks.

It amuses me that so much fun has come from what must have been mindless filler I typed into the "Interests" box of my profile 15 years ago when the Accordance Forums were in beta. My personality disorder (spiritual gift) is keeping things light-hearted whether appropriate or not at times. But, for the record, I do still like them (although I do not particularly care for any of the football teams mentioned upstream).

Ok, so I have just been sitting here pondering these replies, but I am finally too curious and just need to ask...

What is with this "orange and blue" talk? From the screenshot Paul posted, I see a dark brown lamp with a flame moving from dark orange to yellow on a white background. The colors are thus brown, orange, yellow, and white. So where is the blue? I am starting to get concerned that I am color blind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

What is with this "orange and blue" talk? From the screenshot Paul posted, I see a dark brown lamp with a flame moving from dark orange to yellow on a white background. The colors are thus brown, orange, yellow, and white. So where is the blue? I am starting to get concerned that I am color blind.

Don't worry Kristin...that is what I see too! I think they were having a bit of fun with rival football team colors and the (soon?) to be re-branded Washington team.

I think the new logo looks very nice, but I am not really very picky about these kinds of things. To me it stands out more than the ones beside it (Olive Tree? and Logos), and I like that.

• Like 1

Sorry to be cryptic. The "Interests: " section of my profile in the margin <<< had become a topic of conversation that got related to football teams.

• Like 1

On macOS, I find the new Accordance logo placed beside the Apple Photos logo does create a nice colorful pair on the dock. ;)

—Joseph 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the clarification, and I it appears that my question sort of gave me a way as far as how much I know about football. :)

• Like 1

Glad I saw this post before updating. I think I will hold out for as long as I can. Horrible design. I truly thought it was a joke when I saw it the first time. Sorry. Just honest feedback from a long time user.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:55 PM, SWallace said:

Glad I saw this post before updating. I think I will hold out for as long as I can. Horrible design. I truly thought it was a joke when I saw it the first time. Sorry. Just honest feedback from a long time user.

You can change the icon. See the other thread about this topic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fabian said:

You can change the icon. See the other thread about this topic.

That's not really a feasible solution but I guess possible. With each update, you would most likely have to go back and change the icon again.

A better solution may be a better designed icon. 😅

Best regards!

Sorry everyone to keep this thread going... I decided to keep the new Icon on my laptop for a week and the old icon on my desktop for a week.  And I can report that I'm now in favour of the 'new' icon as it seems much softer on my eyes and blends in well with the other dock icons.    

• Like 2