HALOT vs. DCH

‪Check out Brent Niedergall’s comparison of the Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (HALOT) vs. the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew (DCH) in Accordance. ‬

See his blog post here.

Edited by R. Mansfield
Link fixed

I think there's a problem with the link...

The first link creates an infinite loop- FUN! Interesting discussion and I would push for Semantic dictionaries myself (which are rare in Hebrew studies)...

The first link creates an infinite loop- FUN! Interesting discussion and I would push for Semantic dictionaries myself (which are rare in Hebrew studies)...

I thought all dictionaries were semantic dictionaries :)

Seriously though, do you mean organized by semantic domains, ala Louw and Nida ?

Thx

D

• Like 1

I thought all dictionaries were semantic dictionaries :)

Seriously though, do you mean organized by semantic domains, ala Louw and Nida ?

Thx

D

Exactly. I know of one that is in print- it is decent, and two that are current research projects at a few universities as far as Hebrew is concerned. Much more intuitive. Ben Noonan has a really helpful chapter on lexicography and steps towards new lexicon production in his newer publication. A really stellar book actually as it covers so much material SO well:

https://www.amazon.com/Advances-Study-Biblical-Hebrew-Aramaic/dp/0310596017/ref=sr_1_1?crid=9XHWJPGVEHPY&dchild=1&keywords=advances+in+the+study+of+biblical+hebrew+and+aramaic&qid=1587640248&sprefix=Advances+in%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1

• Like 1

Interesting book. I've added it to my ever-growing list.

SD dictionaries are certainly nice for comparing nuances and so on. And with computer searching the lack of overall alphabetical ordering is not an issue.

Thx

D

I like semantic domain dictionaries when you're completely out of options in how to translate something and have used them in a couple of Bibles that are now in print, but the theory which Nida and others have that somehow language is a blurry thing, not so much.

I have certainly used L-N for the what's-the-word-for kind of work. But I'm not following you on the "blurry thing" ?

Thx

D

It would go a long way if Accordance tagged synonyms and antonyms; see my request from years back at https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/20666-synonyms-and-antonyms-tagged/?hl=synonyms. It is still a tedious process to do a proper word study on one's own, especially in Hebrew, including establishing semantic domains. Tagging synonyms and antonyms would help to reduce that tedium.

I hope this makes sense. My thinking is a bit blurry this morning.

• Like 1

It would go a long way if Accordance tagged synonyms and antonyms; see my request from years back at https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/20666-synonyms-and-antonyms-tagged/?hl=synonyms. It is still a tedious process to do a proper word study on one's own, especially in Hebrew, including establishing semantic domains. Tagging synonyms and antonyms would help to reduce that tedium.

I hope this makes sense. My thinking is a bit blurry this morning.

I agree, yet some of that would be a bit subjective for some. I would also suggest Noonan's other recent work were he discusses some wrongful associations in comparative work which is essential for semantic study:

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Semitic-Loanwords-Hebrew-Bible-Linguistic/dp/1575067749/ref=sr_1_1?crid=222D2B0NOHCYO&dchild=1&keywords=non-semitic+loanwords+in+the+hebrew+bible&qid=1587651992&sprefix=Non+Semitic%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-1

The first two chapters alone before the actual lexicon format are worth the book in my opinion

• Like 1

You may want to check out the free, online Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew. I'm not sure if the project is complete, but it's a great idea. Search by domain or word. Play around with it!

As I've mentioned before, Accordance is my main program, but a ~competing program does also offer a A Dictionary of Biblical Languages w/ Semantic Domains: Hebrew, and as far as I know, it is only available as a module within that program. (I.e., I don't think it ever was released in hardcopy.)

An old post on this forum I just found also notes that the NIDOTTE has a semantic domain section at the end.

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 1

You may want to check out the free, online Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew. I'm not sure if the project is complete, but it's a great idea. Search by domain or word. Play around with it!

As I've mentioned before, Accordance is my main program, but a ~competing program does also offer a A Dictionary of Biblical Languages w/ Semantic Domains: Hebrew, and as far as I know, it is only available as a module within that program. (I.e., I don't think it ever was released in hardcopy.)

An old post on this forum I just found also notes that the NIDOTTE has a semantic domain section at the end.

That is the major one- It is far from complete but the material on there is great. The other one you mentioned is the only one I know of in print

I've discussed the SDBH privately, and all I will say is that the quality of the entries varies considerably. They vary regarding the definitions/glosses themselves vs. HALOT and DCH, they vary regarding the synonyms and antonyms that they present, e.g., presenting more or less than say Even-Shosan, even lacking consistency in reverse lookups, and, there is an astonishing omission of synonymous phrases. Research based on tagged synonyms and antonyms, including phrases, would help make these semantic domain dictionaries better, along with a host of other projects.

• Like 3

I've discussed the SDBH privately, and all I will say is that the quality of the entries varies considerably. They vary regarding the definitions/glosses themselves vs. HALOT and DCH, they vary regarding the synonyms and antonyms that they present, e.g., presenting more or less than say Even-Shosan, even lacking consistency in reverse lookups, and, there is an astonishing omission of synonymous phrases. Research based on tagged synonyms and antonyms, including phrases, would help make these semantic domain dictionaries better, along with a host of other projects.

I agree and it will be a slow process (hence the limited amount of actual lexicons like this). That is what makes Noonan's work so necessary as he pushes scholars to focus on this field. It will get better as most lexicons have in the past 100 years. There is no perfect system but there are definite perks to looking at more than one way to study a word. Even Shosan is a great work but very hard to get general interest in as it is in Hebrew. Maybe an electronic version of it would be helpful......

• Like 3