Inscription Images

Martin Shields

At some point I'd like to get a copy of the Inscriptions module, but it would be nice if, to go with this, there were some images of the originals from which the Accordance module was created. It would be particularly nice if it were possible to see enough detail in the images so as to check the module, because there are invariably some educated guesses made in transcribing, particularly near edges and breaks. The images would then allow me to decide how certain any particular reading is.

Are any images available, or is there any way they could be made available?

At some point I'd like to get a copy of the Inscriptions module, but it would be nice if, to go with this, there were some images of the originals from which the Accordance module was created. It would be particularly nice if it were possible to see enough detail in the images so as to check the module, because there are invariably some educated guesses made in transcribing, particularly near edges and breaks. The images would then allow me to decide how certain any particular reading is.

Are any images available, or is there any way they could be made available?

I can tell you from working with the inscriptions for years that getting the rights to publish images is a very uncertain proposition.

It's my understanding that the InscriptiFact project can't even publish all the Hebrew inscriptions for which they have images for legal and political reasons, but at least there's a place to start.

In print, Johannes Renz and Wolfgang R

Shalom MiYerushalayim!

Please also check:

Handbook of Ancient Hebrew Inscriptions

From the Period of the First Commonwealth and the Beginning of the Second Commonwealth (Hebrew, Philistine, Edomite, Moabite, Ammonite, and the Bileam Inscriptions)

2nd edition

Encyclopaedia Miqra'it Library - EML 21

by Shmuel Ahituv

I can tell you from working with the inscriptions for years that getting the rights to publish images is a very uncertain proposition.

It's my understanding that the InscriptiFact project can't even publish all the Hebrew inscriptions for which they have images for legal and political reasons, but at least there's a place to start.

In print, Johannes Renz and Wolfgang R

Archived