Oxford Annotated Bible

Dan Langston old account

BUMP... We have 12 now... let's get the NOAB!!!!!

-Dan

I agree Dan! I am ready to remove my old NOAB/NRSV electronic version 1.0 for MS Windows. I am tired of firing up the VM for Win XP on the Mac just to have NOAB in non-paper form. ;-)

• Like 1

I start up SheepShaver (PPC emulator MacOS 9) or Basllisk (68000 emulator Mac OS 8.5) to use mine...

-Dan

Im just waiting.

I have the spiritual formation for nrvs study bible and oxford commentary edited by mudiman (which is another resource i would like to have) both in hard copy so can wait.

;o)

I start up SheepShaver (PPC emulator MacOS 9) or Basllisk (68000 emulator Mac OS 8.5) to use mine...

-Dan

Goodness, I had forgotten that the Mac SE I used at work was a 68000 based system! At home I had a Tandy 6000 running Xenix that was Motorola 6800 based. The only thing I am aware of running a 68000 cpu in the house is my trusty TI-92 calculator, but there could be another old Motorola beast lurking about the house in some electronic gizmo I have not thoroughly investigated. Power PC chips were all over the Macs at work, but I was assigned only the old Mac SE—mostly on Laser Disk Player duty and analog to digital sensor systems using Vernier Microcomputer Based Labs.

Fraser, I have three iterations of the NOAB in paper form which I will pull out when I get tired of fighting the old Oxford University Press electronic format and software. Sometimes it just is simpler to use paper. However, if OakTree were able to obtain the NOAB, it would be sweet and I would definitely get it.

Shalom,

Joseph

I had actually mean 68000 series. As I believe my edition of basilisk is emulating 68040 processor. Although might well be 68030.

Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Thanks Solly.

I bought the cd of the oxford bible commentary, used it once and gave it to my daughter and just use the paper copy now. So can appreciate where you are coming from.

I have rather a lot of hard copy study bibles but thankfully most are also in accordance now so only really use my trusty 1966 jb (standard edition which has been rebound from its continuous use) and the nrsv spiritual formation bible which is totally unlike any other study bible i have used (hence its purchase and justification for shelf space).

Would love the two oxford publications in accordance but am trying not to buy too many hard copies these days (particularly as my daughters keep complaining that it will be down to them to clear the house when i pop my cloggs).

;o)

Fraser, I understand statements by your daughters about clearing the house—my son, I'm sure, is thinking along similar lines since he approves of my purchase of books in electronic form. What my son does not consider is the drive space he will need for my electronic books when they get passed on to him!  :o

Shalom,

Joseph

At least you can get 200,000 books on one hard drive, if not on one shelf.

FWIW 147000+ PDFs = 750 GB.

Edited by Alistair

But for people like me what are we to do ? There is nothing quite like a solid wood bookshelf with physical volumes in it, that you can run your hands over, that you know where it lives, as in a country village with nary a street sign or number. The smell of a quality paper and ink. What to do ? Perhaps it's time for holographic bookshelves with haptic feedback and wireless link to one's iPad. One can then fairly delude oneself in drawing a real book from a shelf only to have it appear on the iPad which itself could appear to take on the form of the physical volume.

Of course such an illusion would cost a pretty penny itself .... but one can dream.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

But you still wouldnt have the smell or the ability to put under a wonky table leg.

I still enjoy using my leather bound common worship when sorting services.

Place for both hard and soft copies.

Just need to make a rrasoned descision which is required. For me, additional study bibles are e docs now and only adding books for things that will never get into accordance like by svs orthodox and Kenneth bailey publications. Also anything i need to lend or that my wife is likely to use as she wont use accordance.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

• 2 months later...

Just a bump... still hoping to one day see this fine work in Accordance...

-dan

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Fall is coming with students heading back soon, NOAB would be great for them.

-dan

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

BUMP!

We would love to have it, have tried for years to get acceptable terms from Oxford.

I think it's time to end this thread. Helen has stated how things are.

If you want the NOAB, start writing letters to the OUP.

Now that I know that I will not bump it, and I have written OUP only to hear back things like we are happy to talk to developers... I only bumped it to display there is still an interest. I also realize that if it is at a point where talks are no longer useful, it is time to stop flogging a dead horse. I thought it was just stuck at the back of the stable being stubborn about coming out and was not meaning to ask for the moon.

-dan

@Dan:. At least Helen and co. can go to the OUP and demonstrate that there is a real demand for the NOAB within Accordance. However, if the OUP are inflexible with their terms then what can be done?

If OakTree took pre-orders then at least that would help them reevaluate if the terms from the OUP could be met and OakTree could at least break even on the initial investment.

FWIW This was the sort of argument that I heard working in graphic design: people pirated software because it was too expensive to buy; students had to pirate the tools in order to learn to use them, then they bought the software legitimately once they had proper jobs or started their own businesses and went legit. By pricing themselves out of the market developers found there were less people buying their products. So with fewer sales they raised prices to keep shareholders happy. :(

Edited by Alistair

It's frustrating for sure... They have it in Kindle which is rather worthless... they have an older edition in WS but Wordsearch is not that great as a program and on mobile it is even worse. I cannot understand why OUP would not want to jump at the chance to have their premise product in one of the two premiere Bible software (I think over all ACC is better but I didn't want to start a discussion on is ACC the best). To be honest I bump this cause i had hoped not only that they could get it but that talks might be underway on numerous OUP products. some upgrades and other new ones like Oxford Bible Commentary. I do not expect to hear about on going talks and was just trying to be encouraging.... To have Helen pipe in this way leads me to believe not only is it unlikely but that talks are not even happening. I'd even be open to Olivetree at this point, but with them having their own competing product in the HCSB I can understand them not wanting the NOAB... When your own is generally rated at #2 with universities bringing in #1 makes no sense. 

I have serious considered in the past getting the kindle version striping the DRM and trying to make some sort of USER TOOL, but there is no real good way to make a usable commentary module  in Accordance... at least that I know of. I know how to do it FL, but since having it on my iPad is my main reason to want it doing that in the FL world makes no sense. 

-dan

"but there is no real good way to make a usable commentary module  in Accordance... at least that I know of." -dan

​Definitive an area in which Accordance has to mature.

"I know how to do it FL" -dan, yes and a lot other Bible software app let the user to do this.

Greetings

Fabian

Definitive an area in which Accordance has to mature.

Well, I'd say there is room for improvement, but you're right.

Helen, is there anything that us users can do to help you in your discussions with oup? They have some interesting volumes.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

You are welcome to try to contact an Electronic Rights Manager; cannot hurt but I doubt it will help.