Oxford Annotated Bible

Dan Langston old account

I have it on my kindle on my IPAD and PC. It's appearance is like that of a pdf file. The page is exactly like the printed text. No hyperlinks though.

http://s74248.gridserver.com/blogs/detail/456/

This is a good explanation of the history of the NOAB with a glaring absence of information on the 1991 Expanded edition. Information here added below.

The Editors’ Preface

The recent publication of the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible makes it opportune not only to adjust the annotations to the wording of the new version, but also to introduce many other changes and improvements as well. Besides the preface to the New Revised Standard Version entitled “To the Reader,” the reader will find two introductory articles, one on the number and sequence of the books of the Bible, and the other on how to make the fullest use of the present annotated edition. These were drawn up by Bruce Metzger.

All of the general articles, as well as the introductions to and annotations on the several books of the Bible and of the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books, have been reviewed, either by the original contributor or, in most instances, by another scholar. In some cases relatively few changes were called for; in others, where many advances have occurred since the publication of the original Oxford Annotated Bible in 1962 (for example, in the realm of the archaeology of Bible lands), an entirely new article has been prepared.

In the following list of contributors the name of the original writer is followed by the name of the reviewer; when the reviewer was also the original writer, the name occurs only once. It is understood that the editors have also introduced a certain number of modifications throughout.

Edited by Dan Francis

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is primarily a discussion of NOAB, but I would like to chime in supporting a more robust provision of A.W. Tozer's works. I especially love 'Knowledge of the Holy,' and would prize having it in electronic format.

Do you have any idea what the copyright status of this work is?

• 5 months later...

Any movement at all on the NOAB ???

-Dan

• Like 1

As I recall, a few years ago the publishers wanted a very high royalty and advance which at the time we could not justify. We would like to have this work, so perhaps we can approach them again.

• Like 4

Well I do think it would be quite a feather in Accordances cap if you ever were able to offer it. And I would happily be one of the first to purchase a copy of it.

-Dan

• Like 3

I would certainly welcome renewed negotiations... this would immediately become my standard study Bible in Accordance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Especially as the jps study bible and jewish annotated nt are published by them. we feel your pain and it would be great to have that (as well as the cross references, please please, please) and the oxfordd bible commentary as a job lot.

You may want to threaten them that you will approach cambridge university publishing for their annotated bible if oxford university doesnt get its act together !!!!!!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Has anyone purchased the kindle version? How do the annotations appear?

Jeremy, i tend to download samples to my kindle (ipad app) and the one for the NOAB is particularly generous, about 120 pages. As gordon says, no hyperlinks, which is fairly typical of kindle and this is even on the content page!!!!!!!!!!!! (Similar to the early NIVACs i got and which wont update despite zondervan having worked magic on the current versions)

I have the whacky spiritual formation bible as my hard copy NRSV study bible so can afford to wait now.

It is nothing more than a crying shame and should be an embarrassment to OUP that their NOAB is not in any Bible software (yes Wordsearch has 3rd augmented but was released long after the 4th edition had been out).

-Dan

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

BUMP!

I know enough not to ask for a Date but I was wondering if the NOAB might be in the pipeline some place yet???

-Dan

Totally agree with dan, it would be nice and its a pain if oxford university press are being unreasonable as i have jps study bible and jewish annotated nt in both hard copy and accordance copy and both are published by oup. ;o( plus oxford commentary edited by muddiman would be good. But please also include the cross references as these are sold as separate by oup and really need to be combined. ;o(

These would be particularly relevant to your uk customers. ;o)

Edited by ukfraser

• 3 months later...

Seems like that time to give this a gentle bump letting accordance know there is still some interest out there... and hoping others might chime in to express their desire for it...

-Dan

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

BUMP!

New Year, another gentle push to say please!!!!!! 

Still wanted, still needed, hope Accordance can get it this year.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis
  • Like 4

BUMP!

New Year, another gentle push to say please!!!!!! 

Still wanted, still needed, hope Accordance can get it this year.

-Dan

Me too!  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been any change in oup's attituted on royalties since your last post a couple of years ago, Helen?

(If so, The oxford bible commentary edited by barton and muddiman would also be worth considering if they have as it was the one i was recommended)

• Like 2

I really hope they can get it.... I would love to have it on my iPad in a truly usable format.... I do own it in WS (not even current but 3rd augmented) but it's a poor implementation. Meaning it is about as useful as the Kindle version. I can accept that internal links may not work like see note on 1:1. But when you cannot even open up a reference. Please note I am speaking about functionality on the iOS not the desktop program.

-Dan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seeing the new niv zondervan released today, i wondered has there been any progress on getting OUP to let you use the Oxford Annotated bible (and its cross reference volume)

Thanks

• Like 1

Well hope it comes soon.

-Dan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

BUMP! I know I might just be tilting at windmills but still think this one is important.

-Dan

Enthusiastically agreed. I would pay quite a bit for this and it would certainly be my go-to study bible and just increase my (already heavy, let's be honest) Accordance use. This would also make it a lot easier for me to recommend Accordance to fellow seminarians as this is one of our default study bibles for class.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

BUMP... We have 12 now... let's get the NOAB!!!!!

-Dan

• Like 1