Why a difference highlighted by "Compare" if it's the same?

Abram K-J

Comparing Göttingen Isaiah and Rahlfs, I get several words highlighted (and listed in the text differences section) that appear to actually be identical:

τῷ ἐμῷ λαῷ in 10:6, for example.

Nothing on the surface text--not even surrounding punctuation, which is highlighted differently anyway--indicates any difference. The parsing info in Instant Details for ἐμῷ is ever-so-slightly different, however.

Göttingen:

ἐμῷ ἐμός (ἐγώ) Adjective masc sing dat (poss) my

--

Rahlfs:

ἐμῷ ἐμός (ἐγώ) Adjective masc sing dat noDeg (poss) my

--

Is this parsing info enough to trigger the highlight? My preferences for Compare Text are set at "Words," not "Tags," so I'm unclear as to why I get this result--and there are other examples of the same, too, not just at 10:6.

I'm honestly not sure about this one. I noticed in my preferences that these comparison differences only show up when the checkbox "Ignore Greek Accent and Breathing Marks" is unchecked - as in it is an accent or breathing mark difference. But, I can't see what it is! Anyone else see the difference?

My guess is that the order of the iota and the circumflex on the omega are different in each text.

Yup, that's it.

So it's not the parsing (edit: I mean, Instant Details), then. That would make sense--some of the other examples where this occurs both have an iota and circumflex (ὀρφανῷ in 1:17, αὐτῇ in 1:21, τῇ in 2:11, etc.).

But what does it mean that the order of the iota and circumflex are different--just that they were keyed in in a different order between the two texts under consideration?

If so, I would think these don't actually qualify as text differences (unless I'm missing something)... is there a way to not have those items show but still show true differences in "Greek Accents and Breathing Marks"?

Edited by AbramKJ

The transcription process is typically to follow the vowel with the iota as it's part of the orthography. Rahlfs text was not digitized by OakTree and does the converse, which explains why the LXX1 differs from Göttingen on this issue. Jots and Tittles!

Edited by James Tucker

That makes sense. Still, it has the end effect of showing "differences" in the text where none really exist. Unless the "Compare" tool is meant to offer insight into the transcription process? :)

That makes sense. Still, it has the end effect of showing "differences" in the text where none really exist. Unless the "Compare" tool is meant to offer insight into the transcription process? :)

It is not meant to show any insight; we're discussing solutions. Thanks for the feedback.

Fair enough--agreed, then, that a solution to this would be good. I know you all have a lot of other things to juggle, too.

In the meantime, it does appear that changing the "Greek Accents and Breathing Marks" box is a way to not see these items in question.

• 4 weeks later...

For the record - this is now working properly in Accordance 10.1.3, released via in-app update.

• Like 1

Okay, this is definitely fixed in the text itself. Glad to see that.

However, when I open the separate "Text Differences" window, there are verses listed now where there are no actual differences... perhaps a remnant from before? Let me get a screen shot here in a second.

Here.

Is anyone able to replicate this behavior (as I showed in my screenshot--specifically about the Text Differences window)? I'm assuming so, but just curious. I only have the Isaiah Göttingen volume, though perhaps it shows up in other volumes of that series?

Looking some more at this, I'm wondering if I'm just not understanding what the "--" means in the Text Differences window. I thought it meant something wasn't there in text A when it is in text B. So that "--" appears in the A column... but then wouldn't there be a word of some sort in the B column? I looked through the help files on the topic, but if anyone can point me in another direction of making sense of the above, that is helpful, too.

I've reported this as a correction, but since this forum is still here and some others had already responded, one more wrinkle is it looks like a similar issue persists where there's a breathing mark and accent, as in the attached. Similar transcription issue to what was happening before, I'd guess?

• 2 weeks later...

For followup, Abram, those last two bugs of yours have also been fixed. The -- marks were due to extra spaces at the end of each LXX1 verse, and the Isaiah 13:12 bug was due to the same diacriticals, but located different places over the letter. Both of these "differences" are now properly being ignored by the compare text routines. You should have these fixes in the next update!

• Like 1