MacArthur Study Bible

Randy Cue

I think this would be a great addition to Accordance. I know there are three versions (NKJV, NASB, and ESV), and I know there are slight differences in the notes and extra material. The ESV version is the latest, but any of them would be great.

Soli DEo Gloria,

Randy

• Like 2

I agree. Sometimes we want a short answer, not all the possibilities. And it would be nice to have the OT notes. I'd like to see the Zondervan NASB (or NIV) Study Bible, too. The NIV version used to be available in Accordance, but it think it went away when the NIV11 came out.

• Like 2

I think if they had to choose one, they should either go with the NKJV or the NASB. The ESV study Bible is really good. I just got that module on sale. If you don't have it, grab it before the price goes back up! Until the ESV study Bible came out, I personally think that the NIV Study Bible was the best out there. Our church doesn't like the NIV at all. It is KJV only. I still have a fondness for the old NIV and have a half dozen or more dead tree versions lying about. Two study Bibles, the Archaeological one and a few others... I think I might even have the 1978 version someplace. The new NIV is simply awful, I think.

I like John MacArthur but there isn't a lot of joy in our church about him. That statement that was twisted around by some magazine is still bandied about. He's pretty sound in his teaching and I have his NT commentary. I'm the black sheep in the church. :-) I think there is good to be found in many translations and sources but there are also a lot of false Arminian teachings and easy-believism scammers. If it doesn't line up with what is in the Bible, then toss it to the side and move along.

Charles Stanley has a study Bible out too... he's a good guy, maybe they could release that at the same time as MacArthur? Just a thought..... Then they could do Stanley in the NKJV and MacArthur in the NASB..... :-)

• Like 1

The study bible notes can be viewed in parallel with any translation, so that's not a factor. The translation the study bible was designed for will be quoted in the study notes, but the study notes really work as an independent reference tool in Accordance, just like a commentary. The main reason to choose between different versions of the study notes would be due to content changes in the notes (e.g. if the ESV version is the newest, perhaps graphics or historical references have been updated.)

Edited by JonathanHuber

Our church uses the NASB (1977) for public reading, and our pastor preaches from it. We have taught our Sunday school students not to rely on a single version. In my opinion, they all fall down somewhere. I've also found that I can learn a whole lot by just comparing versions. It differences give me a jumping off point to pursue some rabbit trails, most of which yield fruit (rabbits?).

We've also taught our students about textual variants so that when they see big differences - KJV/NKJV vs NASB/ESV - they know why and don't panic.

Additionally, we've taught them that they shouldn't rely on a single commentary - nobody get's it all right. Almost all of them are still using hard copies of the Bible and don't have very many tools to help. The issue with young people, especially, using study Bibles is that whenever they get stumped, they first go to the SB notes, not to the cross references or other versions. That short-circuits the study/investigation process and may give them a wrong answer.

I think the NIV is decent when used as commentary, but it takes too many liberties with the text IMO, to be thought of as a "translation." The Amplified is better "commentary."

One of the many things I love about Accordance is being able to use study Bible notes with whatever version of the Bible I want, and having multiple versions and several study Bibles open at once in a single window, as Jonathan pointed out. The other HUGE plus is the ID window - being able to get to all the cross references without marking my place in a hard copy and thumbing from one end of my Bible to the other means that I actually take the time to read them. Huge!

Because we teach young people, I would like to have access to as many solid study Bibles as possible. The only ones I don't have at this point that are not available in Accordance are MacArthur and Zondervan NASB/NIV. I really don't care a whole lot which version the SB is based upon, because I will be sitting there with several versions open, along with the GNT if I'm in the NT.

• Like 1

I didn't realize that my OP would have stirred such a discussion on different versions of the English Bible. That was certainly not my intent. A very fine book on the subject is Leland Ryken's book entitled The Word of God in English. I think every English speaking Christian should give it a read.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am wondering if Accordance can comment on this request for the MacArthur Study Bible?

A very fine book on the subject is Leland Ryken's book entitled The Word of God in English. I think every English speaking Christian should give it a read.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

I agree, Randy. It's a great book. I've read it and recommended it to many, and we have given copies to our Sunday school students in the past.

I am wondering if Accordance can comment on this request for the MacArthur Study Bible?

Generally speaking we don't comment on every request. Sometimes we are waiting to see what kind of response it gets. Other times we're just too busy to respond.

We can look into it, but I'm not sure where it ranks in terms of the many other titles we're already pursuing.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 months later...

I would just like to add another name to the list of interested parties in obtaining the MacArthur Study Bible as a resource or module to use with the Accordance program. This is a very helpful bible study tool and something that would add greatly to the appeal of the Accordance program for me. Thank you.

Add my name to the list as well!

Please add another vote to adding the MacArthur Study Bible as a module. It would be VERY handy to have, like the ESV Study Bible notes, in order to look up a quick comment rather than having to wade through a lengthy commentary, especially since the MacArthur commentary set is not yet complete.

• Like 1

Do MacArthur right after you have rolled out Sacra Pagina, Berit Olam and the Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I would absolutely love to see the MacArthur Study Bible notes in Accordance!

• 2 months later...

I would also like to have the MacArthur Study Bible available in Accordance!

Not interested in Macarther. His views are prosaic, riddled with self importance and not as scholarly as would be helpful. He is a good general speaker but I don't trust his 'scholarship'.

• 2 months later...

Me too.

• 2 months later...

Is the MacArthur SB on the horizon?

• Thanks 1

• 8 years later...

Please make the second edition notes available on Accordance.

• Like 2