Considering purchase of an Ipad Using Accordance

fmcfee

Hi,

I am thinking of getting an IPAD....what do I need to run all of my Accordance applications on? iPad 1, 2 or 3..how much memory ...do I have to purchase anything from Accordance....I know very little about IPADs....I want to be able to access the same Accordance apps that I run on my Mac now....I am really more of a "windows" user but I love the Mac and how well Accordance performs on it...I probably will buy the app for windows also when it becomes available...thanks for your help...

Frank

Hello, Frank:

I have an original iPad 1 with 16GB of memory and that is plenty of capacity and horsepower with which to run Accordance. I have several other programs of varying size on my iPad and it isn't running at capacity. My iPad 1 runs Accordance quite well speed-wise. The one advantage you would have with an iPad 3 or higher is the retina screen. That would make the text appear sharper. If sharp non-pixelated text is important to you that might be reason enough to get one with a retina screen. If you have the chance to check out an iPad 3 or 4 in person, I would recommend doing so.

Greg,

Thanks for your quick reply.......how does the Ipad 1 work with the graphics packages....map, photos, etc..does the 3D feature work OK.......I have a lot of "Accordance stuff"....30 MB + the app itself...the main reason I am considering it is for portability...I am not looking for a lot of "bells & whistles"..thanks

Frank

The Map module does not work in the iOS app, nor does the Timeline. Most other modules work fine. As noted on the forum, some of the images in some modules (especially older ones) are in the process of being updated to work in the iOS (and in Accordance 10.x too).

I use Accordance on an iPad daily and it works great. 16GB is plenty unless you plan to put a lot of other content on the device. I've got a lot of other stuff on my 16GB iPad2 and space is tight. If cost is an issue, you might also consider the new iPad mini.

If you use Greek texts, you should seriously consider an iPad with a Retina display. It gives a much clearer text. Yes, the English texts are clearer, too, but it is more important for the Helena font.

My husband and I both moved up to 32G iPads last spring. We have other apps, he takes a lot of pictures, and I have the majority of the Accordance modules on mine (my husband not as many because he doesn't use the Greek tools).

If money is an issue, consider a refurb from Apple or used from elsewhere. There also were probably some who traded up for the latest machine this fall who need to find homes for their previous iPad.

Hi everybody,

Thanks so much for your input...especially Michael that graphics don't work on the ipad yet...I think I will wait until all the "bugs" are worked out before buying a ipad...even used ipads are expensive....although I am a beginner, I do use both Greek and Hebrew so it would seem the "retina display" would be better....I will try and keep abreast of Accordance addressing the issues you have mentioned....I appreciate all of you taking the time to reply...

Frank

Some graphics do work: the PICT files in some modules display well. The interactive Map does not. The iOS developers would have to weigh in as to any plans to add that function. There are a huge number of requested features for the iOS version of Accordance. Given its relatively recent introduction, it is pretty powerful, but the desktop version has spoiled us!

I enjoy using my iPad (3rd generation) with Accordance, I have the 64 GB model, the maps model will work on an iPAD as long as you have the cellular enabled version. Accordance is very fast and runs very well on the iOS, it has some defects in selection (you are given the option of selecting one word, the entire sentence or the entire paragraph), I am use to more flexibility in what i want to select but I believe this will come eventually. Accordance is the best overall Bible program in combination for the iOS/Mac world and most features you can do on the mac works well on the iOS. The Accordance APP is probably the most powerful mobile device Bible study app out there , and allows you to install almost every module, even user ones (the Parallel modules are not implemented for the iOS ).

-Dan

the maps model will work on an iPAD as long as you have the cellular enabled version

Would you please clarify what you mean by this? Are you referring to the Accordance Atlas or a different module, and how is Accordance affected by the cellular radio?

Would you please clarify what you mean by this? Are you referring to the Accordance Atlas or a different module, and how is Accordance affected by the cellular radio?

My bad, I was thinking people were saying the maps app does't have functionality, a blonde moment… Had i saw "Atlas" or "Bible maps" I would have clued in...

-Dan

I've really enjoyed the retina display on the iPad 3 for reading any text (not just in Accordance). For that reason alone I'd recommend going with that model or higher. 16gb will be ok, depending on the number of Accordance resources and other retina apps you use. Most app developers have started using 2x graphic assets for their app across the board which has increased overall app storage sizes. For the long run, 32gb or higher would probably be best.

Regarding the Atlas and Timeline, these unique resources will require some work to adapt to iOS, and we have no timeline for when they will be available. Other than those two resources, you would not be at a real disadvantage by going with the iPad now. All of our other graphic intensive resources work great, e.g. Carta, PhotoGuide, American Colony, etc. The updates Michael mentioned for images on older resources will start rolling out soon.

Some of the updates have appeared (I had 69 in my content update list!). Thanks!

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Frank,

I wanted to wait a few days before responding to your question to think about it and observe the way I work and offer my 2¢. Your experience may or may not be like mine. I think we all work a little differently.

I use Accordance on a 24" iMac and simply love it. I also am on my second iPad, with the latest being the 64GB Retina (3rd Gen). I have taught a couple classes at church on how to use Accordance and the iPad in classes and worship. Where I preach I estimate there are about 20 or so using iPads in worship and classes. Several others use iPod touches and iPhones. (i encourage people to download and register Accordance for the additional modules. In my judgment this can be helpful to them while at the same time expanding the user base).

Here are some observations. It will be a long time before the iOS version of Accordance will be as powerful as the Mac OS version. There are simply too many limitations to the platform in my judgment. The lack of workspaces, zones and multiple panes being the main reason. On my Mac my workspace will generally have 8 panes along with the Instant Details. Of course, this is possible because I have 24" of screen space. I will generally have four texts open and four other resources. This is impossible at this point on an iPad. My next observation is the ability to enter data. Trying to type on the virtual keyboard is difficult for me (perhaps it is my fat fingers). I bought an inexpensive bluetooth keyboard on ebay and it greatly enhances trying to type notes and even items in the search box. Of course, I don't take that to services, but I do take it when I travel.

I do the lion share of my study on my iMac. I type user notes on it as well. Then I sync the iPad and use it in my classes (I use the NKJV text and my notes in a parallel pane). Recently I purchased the iPad to VGA adapter and use a large screen HDTV in class to display the text and to identify words. For instance last Sunday when studying 2Cor. 5:5, I touched and held on the word guarantee (NKJV) for the Greek word arrabōn. I can also respond on the fly about how a word is used elsewhere in Scripture.

My summary is that I think you will appreciate the iPad for what it is able to do, but it is not at least at this point, a substitute for a Mac. Hope this helps...

• Like 1

Well said, Tony.

Thank you, Tony, I too found this very helpful. Thank you, Frank, for the original question and the other responses. It has really helped me one step nearer to my first iPad!

Kevin.

I use Accordance on my MBP with and without a 24" external monitor. I don't see my iPad as a substitute for a Mac. I do see it as a significant upgrade for a hard copy of the Bible. I generally have the NAS95 and GNT-T open while my pastor is preaching. That way I can follow the English and check out the Greek at the same time. That also gives me access to my own notes. An iPad is less distracting to the people around me than a laptop, which is why I never used my computer in a worship service (I'd have had to sit in the back row).

Rick,

Thanks for the information...I cannot justify an ipad at this time but I now know what to get when I am ready.....

Frank

Tony,

Thanks for the information...I was not trying to replace my Mac (I really am a windows user) but get something more portable....I also want to wait until the prices ease down on an ipad...

Frank

Considering that the Android OS is FAR, FAR outselling iOS, I would really like to see Accordance offered to a broader hardware base. Considering the direction Apple seems to be heading, I am not sure my next table will be an iOS device. One of the primary reasons is one that Frank just mentioned: price.

I agree with the general sentiment of others on this thread (except I have no interest in Android). From my personal experience, I'd recommend a 32GB iPad or Mini at a minimum, as well as the retina display if you can swing the full size iPad. My 3rd Gen iPad has 32GB and it feels a bit cramped so I don't have all of my Accordance modules on it. I'd love the 64GB model, but budget realities did not permit.

My 64 Gb iPad feels cramped...

I don't mean to distract form the discussion, but I just purchased Accordance for Mac and was curious if I needed to purchase anything else to run Accordance with my modules/add-ons on an iPad. If not, will the license be usable when they release the Windows version? Thanks.

No. You may download the free iOS app for your iPad, then either download your purchased modules directly or by synching with the desktop version (the latter is faster in most cases). Most, but not all modules work on both Accordance for Mac and Accordance for iOS. The generous folks at OakTree let you use the modules on both for a single purchase of the module.